Gettysburg Trivia

Amish John
Reactions:

Re:Gettysburg Trivia

Post by Amish John »

O. O. Howard wrote:
O. O. Howard wrote:
Since I saw someone use a photo of the 11th PA monument for the Sallie question, I will work under the assumption that monuments are a legitimate trivia subject and ask:

Which Union monument at Gettysburg depicts a line officer standing on an axe and why?
By the way, no one has guessed on my trivia question yet. Maybe because I called it an axe. In actuality, it was probably more like a camp hatchet.
13th Vermont. Lt. Brown picked up a hatchet laying on the ground during Pickett's charge because he was under "arrest" and had his sword taken away because he had let some of his men stop to fill canteens without orders to do so.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Right on!
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
O. O. Howard
Reactions:

Post by O. O. Howard »

Yup. Lt. Brown would be the guy. Actually, I couldn't remember his name, but I know it was 13th Vt. I understand that he was able to capture a rebel officers sword, which I believe he is holding on the monument (but again - can't remember completely and it has been quite a while since I have been to Gettysburg). I was told that they wanted to put him actually holding the hatchet, but the monument commission thought it was a little grisly.
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

13th Vt. wasn't that the regiment that Hancock got wounded next to?
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House
O. O. Howard
Reactions:

Post by O. O. Howard »

Joshua l.Chamberlain wrote:
I don't know, but it would have been in the same area at least.
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

Are you suggesting Hancock's wound was actually inflicted by Lt. Brown with his hatchet in an act of retaliation against higher command for taking away his sword? :silly:
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

What?:blink: No I meant when his saddle was hit by a bullet the splinters shot into him.
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
Armchair General
Reactions:

Post by Armchair General »

What?:blink: No I meant when his saddle was hit by a bullet the splinters shot into him.
It was humor. John didn't literally think Hancock was hit by an ax.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Oh no I was shocked he would suggest that about the best commander in the Army of the Potomac at that point in the battle. I need to not be so literal but it is not logical to be humorous about Hancock.
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

Oh no I was shocked he would suggest that about the best commander in the Army of the Potomac at that point in the battle. I need to not be so literal but it is not logical to be humorous about Hancock.
From Hancock the Superb, "Hancock's sense of humor was as much a characteristic as his quick flashes of profane anger."

I'd hope old Winnie would get a chuckle with my joke about Lt. Brown inflicting a hatchet wound on him.