Gettysburg Trivia

Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Re:Gettysburg Trivia

Post by Kerflumoxed »

I would imagine everyone has heard the famous Barlow/Gordon story. Here is a website that offers a detailed, definitve analysis of the tale.

http://clevelandcivilwarroundtable.com/ ... gordon.htm

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Seems to be a "dead" list...so thought I would ask a GB trivia question: We all know about Picket's Charge. For the record, what Confederate regiment progressed the fartherest over the wall?

Quoting a member of this unit:

"And here I will state that my regiment, though it had suffered severely from the two days fighting, was in the final charge, and three members of it...reached the extreme point of the Confederate advance on that fatal day. (Name cited)was killed by a shell from our own batteries striking him in the breast, but the other two are still living. (In the 1890's, we) visited the battlefield with Major W. M. Robbins of the Commission, and located the exact spot which (these three men) reached, which is 80 yards to the left and beyond the point where Armstead (sic) fell. By a strange coincidence on the very day some survivors of the Federal regiment stationed at that point on July 3 were visiting the battlefield, and confirmed the statements...stating that they saw the three men, and pointing out the spot where the Captain fell. With this evidence, which was conclusive, the Commission has placed three stakes to mark the point, and to the (regiment to be named) belongs the credit not only of having opened the fight on the first day, but of having reached the farthest (sic) point of advance on the last."

NAME THAT REGIMENT!

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Armchair General
Reactions:

Post by Armchair General »

Kerflumoxed wrote:
Seems to be a "dead" list...so thought I would ask a GB trivia question: We all know about Picket's Charge. For the record, what Confederate regiment progressed the fartherest over the wall?

Quoting a member of this unit:

"And here I will state that my regiment, though it had suffered severely from the two days fighting, was in the final charge, and three members of it...reached the extreme point of the Confederate advance on that fatal day. (Name cited)was killed by a shell from our own batteries striking him in the breast, but the other two are still living. (In the 1890's, we) visited the battlefield with Major W. M. Robbins of the Commission, and located the exact spot which (these three men) reached, which is 80 yards to the left and beyond the point where Armstead (sic) fell. By a strange coincidence on the very day some survivors of the Federal regiment stationed at that point on July 3 were visiting the battlefield, and confirmed the statements...stating that they saw the three men, and pointing out the spot where the Captain fell. With this evidence, which was conclusive, the Commission has placed three stakes to mark the point, and to the (regiment to be named) belongs the credit not only of having opened the fight on the first day, but of having reached the farthest (sic) point of advance on the last."

NAME THAT REGIMENT!

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
There's a controversy, because of the Angle at Gettysburg. Armistead's brigade pierced the line and was then beaten back, however, the 26th NC of Pettigrew's brigade went farther over to the left but did not actually break the wall. Both units claimed that they went 'farther.'
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Well, General, this will add to the controversy since neither is the correct answer according to this participant verified (supposedly) by veterans of the opposition who witnessed the event!

No cigar, yet.

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

According to the 1900 Confederate Veteran, the three members of the most advanced regiment during Picket's Charge were supposedly from the 55th North Carolina (and they were involved in the opening day's contest as well).

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

I seem to recall that when the "Charge" was made on the 3rd day, there as a Confederate band playing a polka as they stepped out across the field. If true, that would certainly be a nice touch to have in the game!

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]