INI aicount=55

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
Jagre
Reactions:

INI aicount=55

Post by Jagre »

Veterans will know what I'm referring to. Adding that line to sowgb.ini in [Initialization].

I've never tried a higher number. Will a higher number make the AI take so long to assess the situation that it's just frozen in place? Or will a higher number make it more intelligent given the extra time it has to make a better plan? I've always just kept it at 55, so I don't know what others' experiences have been with a different number.
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: INI aicount=55

Post by Davinci »

Mine is Set at 1000

But the answer to your question is that "Nobody" really knows what the "Precise" number should be.

"Norb" - Stated on the Forums years ago that changing that number created "weird effects of too much thinking", but he never said what those weird effects really meant.

But, I run a Army of 135,000+, and the Enemy has roughly 188,000+, and I have never seen the units stand without firing.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Jagre
Reactions:

Post by Jagre »

I obviously noticed a difference in the AI, in general, in using it. But, Davinci, my question is what effect does that setting actually have on the AI as whole? I saw an improvement, but I don't know the extent of that improvement. You seem to have answers to a lot of my questions.

EDIT: While I think about it, is the setting applicable to Waterloo, as well? Can I do the same thing for that title?
Last edited by Jagre on Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

But, Davinci, my question is what effect does that setting actually have on the AI as whole? I saw an improvement, but I don't know the extent of that improvement.
This is "My Opinion Only", one of the Team Members might have a better answer!

It is designed to give the "AI" more options of planning its next move, based on your movements.

It sort of works like if the AI is set to "50" it will preform fifty calculations per turn, or per cycle.

So, I set mine at 1000 per cycle, but I can't say that there is a vast amount of difference in setting it at say 100.

SO, the answer to your question is that - it is supposed to allow the "AI" more options of thinking per cycle. The downside to that is that the more the AI thinks, the slower the game will run.

If, I play a hundred games, it is extremely rare that one of My Generals, or one of the AI Generals get killed by wondering into the enemies battle line. A higher number means that they think more.

But, I also play with a very slow movement rate on a much larger Map, so maybe that also has something to do with it.

The AI units does appear to use the "Oblique Movement" more during battle, but its mainly individual Regiments and not the whole Brigade.

I just say, experiment with different settings and determine which one works best for you!

davinci
Jagre
Reactions:

Post by Jagre »

Appreciate the help, my friend.

Fought a 1v1 Division scale battle with the count set to 1000, and it was a fun experience. I didn't see any erratic crap going on, AI kept good reserves, etc.

It was a fun experience, better than I've had in the past with a count of 55. Much obliged, sir! I recorded the fight, so expect to see a link to the video in the Gettysburg movie forum soon.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I recorded the fight, so expect to see a link to the video in the Gettysburg movie forum soon.
Great!

Welcome to Modding, once you start Modding it is almost impossible to Stop!

davinci
Jagre
Reactions:

Post by Jagre »

That's a beautiful thing about SOW. The developers fully support modders. It's awesome. Not many developers do that. I did a lot of modding, myself, with the Close Combat series (WW2 tactical). Mods make games better. 'Nuff said.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

"Jagre" - Hmm, I never really thought about it until you posted this, but I just checked My OOB and I only have 596 lines in it. Basically, 596 Units are on the field, friendly and foe.

SO, I changed My ini count too 600, since I'm not really sure that the Game will calculate each unit per turn \ cycle, but there is "Not" 1000 units on the Map.

I'll test this and see what happens!
EDIT Post:

After changing the ini number it really only changes the numbers that are circled in red.

But, even with a number as high as 9999 it will still only update 67 - 73 units per cycle.

Also - the Screen only shows that 20 of the 595 units have a LOS check.

So, in conclusion - I have No idea what this really means!

Roughly seven or eight years ago someone explained what these numbers actually mean, but i can't remember what they posted!
The attachment 1_2018-11-24.jpg is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
1_2018-11-24.jpg
1_2018-11-24.jpg (58.43 KiB) Viewed 199 times
Last edited by Davinci on Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jagre
Reactions:

Post by Jagre »

Hmm. Let me do a quick test with that, too. Standby

EDIT:

Similar situation. 85 Units in total, only about 16 or 17 actively updating their LOS, 5-11 updates a second. Just two divisions in the fight. I wonder if it's just a limit on how many units get active AI attention, i.e. how much information the AI actually receives for its units or from its units. Granted, 1000 units will never actually be needed at any point in a battle in the game, but my thinking is that the default 40 is how many units it's actively paying attention to.

Whatever the case, the AI seemes more capable with a high setting.
Last edited by Jagre on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.