Game crashes repeatedly when using this Mod???

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
tula1959
Reactions:

Re: Game crashes repeatedly when using this Mod???

Post by tula1959 »

Hey Reb! I will continue to report in on things! I plan to proceed as follows - will stay with the XII Corps Antietam scenario and try (got through it and suffered a Major defeat so have to keep trying anyway Yikes!)

1... Delete the sound/march lines in the sfx file as suggested earlier to see if that stops further crashes

If still crashing after that

2.. Do as you suggest on the oob_Antietam file name and lose the extra flags - I would hate to go that route as those extra color coded flags make a HUGE impact on being able to keep track of which units are which amid the chaos of the battlefield!!!!

As to the idea that we are stressing the load on my system - I have a pretty robust system going here..
Intel Core i5-7400 cpu, 16gb ram, and a 2gb graphics card... I am NOT seeing any hesitations, delays, stutters, etc. as the game rolls along, everything is smooth and clean!! So I am not sure that this could be the issue!?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Hey Reb! I will continue to report in on things! I plan to proceed as follows - will stay with the XII Corps Antietam scenario and try (got through it and suffered a Major defeat so have to keep trying anyway Yikes!)

1... Delete the sound/march lines in the sfx file as suggested earlier to see if that stops further crashes

If still crashing after that

2.. Do as you suggest on the oob_Antietam file name and lose the extra flags - I would hate to go that route as those extra color coded flags make a HUGE impact on being able to keep track of which units are which amid the chaos of the battlefield!!!!

As to the idea that we are stressing the load on my system - I have a pretty robust system going here..
Intel Core i5-7400 cpu, 16gb ram, and a 2gb graphics card... I am NOT seeing any hesitations, delays, stutters, etc. as the game rolls along, everything is smooth and clean!! So I am not sure that this could be the issue!?
Coincidentally XII Corps' Surge to the West Woods is one of my scenarios, designed to be challenging. Glad you're not backing off and accepting that challenge.

Also glad you're not entertaining omitting the Union 'Designating Flags'. You're the first to verbally appreciate their usefulness in gameplay and their unique array of colors. They were my final flag additions for 2018 after much historic research and then weeks of testing to see if large battles like Antietam could handle them...Great news that they're working out.

And, it's really good news that an up to date computer system like yours is handling them better than my old system ever could...I've gotta get a new computer. Are you using Win 10? Another plus if so...Unless that's the CTD culprit.

Hope you get around to posting the sowgb.log file after your next crash, probably inevitable considering your past reports, despite your more than adequate system. With the log file I might spot that crash demon.
Last edited by RebBugler on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
tula1959
Reactions:

Post by tula1959 »

Reb,
This XII Corps scenario is more than challenging LOL... Second time around was another major defeat, and am now on round three... With the mass confusion of the I Corps fight going on in front and my units advancing in to the middle of it, very difficult to keep track of what is going on.. I have twice now failed to even reach any objective points!! Again the color coded flags are super helpful in trying to keep track of things!!

Yes I am running Win10 however the game would NOT run there - had to set to Win7 compatible to do so...
If there is a way to get it to run under Win10 please clue me in!?

Where is the SOW.log file you are talking about to be found?? I have looked in all the folders etc., and can not seem to locate the one you want???
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

The key to winning this scenario is similar to the first Pap Greene scenario...Avoid engagement for a while as you position your Corps forward, letting the First Corps handle the brunt of the action initially. Having said that, take the East Woods objective fairly quickly as you move your batteries up to within canister range to pound the enemy mercilessly. Keep one large and inexperienced regiment fresh to eventually attack and capture or drive off the batteries on the knoll...Keep'em on the west woods road, avoid fencing...And RUN in column formation. Avoid activating the objectives at the church until the knoll is occupied, otherwise the Rebs will react to the Church objectives making the unsecured objectives impossible to capture...IOW, capture the Church objectives simultaneously...Then protect them like Hell until their points are acquired...The Rebs, They Be Comin' Through the Woods Big Time. Then, if you've been diligent and effective...Major Victory.

The sowgb.log file is in the Work folder.

Don't know about Win 10, maybe someone will chime in. Got one report on the Matrix forum that SowWl runs with Win 10 without a compatibility switch, at least that's good news.
Last edited by RebBugler on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

A correction about the above post. That winning narrative WAS for AN scenario 7, Pap Greene... For help with AN6, XII Corps..., read the Gameplay section in the Intro to learn the objective criteria. I've been testing and playing this scenario the last few days, checking for this thread's reported crashes, glad to say I've experienced none. And while STRUGGLING to beat it, I remember a big clue to winning:

Avoid the West Woods objective at first, 100 points per minute, until you get the Rebs to attack Doubleday's division, Patrick's brigade in the woods. His division won't attack until engaged! To make this happen attack the Rebs located northwest in the West Woods, from the east, not the north, to get them to try and flank your northern flank, that will run them right into Patrick's brigade. Once woken up, Doubleday's division then attacks the West Woods from the north. As his troops near the West Woods objective, this is the time to strike and take the West Woods objective. This will take a while, be patient, and busy, as you're attacking or holding the other objectives. I don't think it's possible to win this scenario without Doubleday's division in the fray.
Last edited by RebBugler on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
tula1959
Reactions:

Post by tula1959 »

If that's your issue, the problem is easy to solve: go to Mods > Bugles and Flags > Logistics > SFX.csv. Delete the 8 lines referencing "MARCH SOUNDS" (1-Mar thru 8-Mar) and save the file. That will restore the default music back into the game and stop the crashing.
Follow up report - after following this advice I have NOT had another crash - have played through a good number of scenarios of various sizes! So there may be something to this as an answer to the mystery!??
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Well, with two solid reports regarding a 'Road March Music' issue I guess I'll just omit those lines with an update. But drat, I've never experienced that issue and toned the music down because I personally didn't like the Music BLARING at me when I hit the F key as my troops were road marching. Like I said before, the mod just tones down the music, plus foot pounding, volume to an acceptable level for me...With no other changes in those marching music lines.

Guess I'll just keep those subdued sounds in my own personal version, releasing the public version to sound the stock versions of the Marching sounds.

Update reluctantly coming soon...

Still, thanks for the reports guys, having crash free mods is a no brainer, its gotta be the bottom line when releasing them publicly.

Wish I could figure out this crash glitch, it just makes no sense. The clue mentioned that when it gets to a certain bad track doesn't pan out because the mod tracks are just copied from the stock tracks...They're identical.

BTW tula1959, you really got me fired up with AN6, XII Corps..., it beat me several nights in a row. Finally figured it out again and kicked butt to a tune of a 7574 MV score. It was as exciting as ever. My high score from years back, during Antietam's making, was just over 5200.
Last edited by RebBugler on Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tula1959
Reactions:

Post by tula1959 »

Hey Reb! I would hold off on an update for a while yet, and let's see what the next few weeks bring. This glitch does not make any sense to me either and I am still not convinced since you have never seen it yourself? Maybe my computer was just having brain farts or something?

Thanks for the tips re XII Corps Surge and Pap Greene!! Sad to say that I have not even managed a draw in three tries at Surge and had already started attempt #4 when your above tips came through - with time already elapsed I did indeed follow advice and got Crawford to attack the woods from the East, and just as you said, this drew the Confederates in to Patrick's brigade and now the rest of Reynold's division is moving in to the woods to his support!! I fear too much time has already elapsed however... Will play it out and see and start over yet again if need be... After all, I MUST prevail on this one in order to play Pap Greene....!!!!

Glad I could stoke your fire re Surge!! Amazing score!!! You set the bar way too high LOL
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

tula1959

Yeah, I'll hold off on that update and for now just post a 'Heads Up' pointing to this thread so folks with similar issues can opt to delete those modded Music lines.

Another point for AN6 success: watch out for 'friendlies' (troops not under your command) stealing your Waypoint points. Especially at the beginning. Upon clicking off the opening courier message move Green to the East Woods Waypoint objective, otherwise a friendly officer will steal those points (250) within minutes.

Also make sure your officers are getting Hold objective points. It's easy to think you're getting points when you're not, as a friendly officer activates an objective, sometimes with your troops, and gets YOUR points. One bright spot about this is you can use friendly troops to help you with points. All you need is an officer under your command of higher rank within the objective radius to gather in objective points using friendlies, or a combination of troops, yours and friendlies.
Last edited by RebBugler on Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Tula and Box

Since you guys are the only folks that have reported this CTD attributed to the Road Marching Music, would you please test this edited sfx.csv file and see if remedies this issue? All I did was re-order the sequence of events to aline with the stock file, and who knows, this slight adjustment might be the fix.

Unzip and copy to the B&F Logistics folder, overwrite previous sfx file:
The attachment sfx.zip is no longer available
Attachments
sfx.zip
(1.26 KiB) Downloaded 1 time