SOW Antietam

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: SOW Antietam

Post by Little Powell »

I did a search of "map tools" on this site and the only thing that came up was your last post. Could you tell me where I can download map tools? Thanks.
http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/waterl ... loo-sdk-v2

I think this is the latest version...Map tools are included.

Other Team Members...Why is this thread not stickied/pinned?
It is now.

OP - The Antietam graphics were upgraded around the same time the GB graphics were (same grass textures actually.) I'm curious where you purchased Antietam? Maybe one of the sources missed an update or something. Very odd.
Last edited by Little Powell on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Other Team Members...Why is this thread not stickied/pinned?
Reb, I have been wondering that for quite a while, the SDK listing really should be labeled "SDK \ Map Making Tools"!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
McHugh
Reactions:

Post by McHugh »

I purchased it from Matrix Games. Isn't that the only place it can be purchased? I earlier indicated that I saw a 1.61 update for Chancellorsville over at Matrix Games and wondered if that included a graphics update. If it can be fixed with an update and if Norbsoft or someone here has contact with Matrix Games they should be informed about this issue. In the meantime, I will download the map tool and see if I can figure out how to get my Antietam graphics up to the standard of Gettysburg. Thanks for all the feedback, especially you, Davinci.
McHugh
Reactions:

Post by McHugh »

I downloaded the SDK file and it said this will install Waterloo. Huh?

I then had a look at the 1.61 Chancellorsville patch at Matrix and noticed this:

* New grass, dirt, woods, rocks, and water textures for all Gettysburg and Antietam maps have been added.
* Antietam and Chancellorsville roads have been corrected.

So even though I don't have Chancellorsville maybe this patch will update the Antietam graphics? Wow, I can't believe how convoluted this has been! I am hesitant to install the patch until this is clarified.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

So even though I don't have Chancellorsville maybe this patch will update the Antietam graphics? Wow, I can't believe how convoluted this has been! I am hesitant to install the patch until this is clarified.
Not sure what "convoluted" means without looking it up, but.....

Install the Patch!

The latest version of the Game is 1.61

davinci
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

With the latest patch this is the ground I get at the standard 1024x768 resolution. For me it's never been a concern or of negative appeal. Regardless, most of the Antietam map is crops and forest.
The attachment AntietamGround.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
AntietamGround.jpg
AntietamGround.jpg (308.92 KiB) Viewed 538 times
Last edited by RebBugler on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
McHugh
Reactions:

Post by McHugh »

RebBugler if you look at the screenshot of my current Antietam graphics running at 1920 X 1080 that I posted earlier in this thread you will see that it is even worse then your screenshot of your graphics running at 1024 X 768.

DaVinci, I took your advice and tried to install the patch. I tried twice entering my license numbers for SOW Gettysburg and Antietam. Both times it said invalid license numbers. Since I don't own Chancellorsville it makes sense that I can't apply a patch for Chancellorsville.

So that leaves me with the Waterloo SDK file.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

McHugh - "Little Powell" - posted above that the Ground-Textures have been improved, so he would know considering that he is on the Team.

The picture that "Reb" - posted doesn't like like a SOW default Map - the Ground-Textures does, but not the trees.

The Map-Tools - can be used to enhance the terrain around the camera with different settings, but I am really not that good in figuring out which settings work best. Everyone uses different resolutions.

Either way, if you decide to Install the Map-Tools - it will give you years of enjoyment considering that you can "Make" or "Alter" any Map of your choice.

The Game is very Solid, meaning that it almost never crashes unless the Player does something wrong!

I usually play on the same Map for approximately a year before moving on to another one, so the Map-Tools come in quite handy.

"MarkT" - has a "Seven-Days-Map" coming out soon, but I always prefer to alter his ground-textures to the ones that I like better. Now, thats nothing against his Maps, he makes some of the best Map available.

I just like My terrain textures better.

This is why I strongly suggest that you Install the Program to change anything that you don't like!

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
McHugh
Reactions:

Post by McHugh »

Here is what I think. Antietam is version 1.50. Matrix Games has a patch bringing SOW Gettysburg to 1.61 and a 1.61 patch for Chancellorsville. I think that is why the graphics look so much better in Gettysburg.
Since I am satisfied with the graphics in 1.61 Gettysburg I have to find a way to improve the graphics for the Antietam DLC only.

When I look at the Gettysburg folder there is a Antietam SOW File of 1,706 KB. I have been unable to open it because I assume the ground texture files are in that folder. It gives you two options to open the folder, one by searching the internet and manually. I tried the internet one first and no answers. I then tried manually, first with Photo viewer and then Internet Explorer. After each attempt the folder showed the icon with whatever I used to try and open it. Look at the screenshot and you can see that the folder now shows Internet Explorer. I think originally the description of the folder was that it was an application file. After trying to open it that is no longer the case.

As I indicated, I downloaded and installed SOWWLSDK which is for Waterloo but I assume I could use the ground textures from it to replace what is being used for Antietam IF I could open the Antietam folder.
I am attaching some screenshots. IF I could open the Antietam folder I assume that it is the Default textures that I would copy and paste in that folder.

I have posted a help ticket at Matrix Games indicating that I think they should be posting a patch 1.61 for Antietam. When you buy the Gettsyburg Anniversary Collection Edition from Matrix you are getting an earlier version of Antietam vs. Gettysburg and Chancellorsville. I would think that is also the case for Pipe Creek and Brandy Station.

If I knew all of this last week, I would have purchased Chancellorsville instead of Antietam.
Attachments
DefaultTexturesSOWWLSDK.png
DefaultTexturesSOWWLSDK.png (113.53 KiB) Viewed 538 times
SOWWLSDK.png
SOWWLSDK.png (102.5 KiB) Viewed 538 times
SOWAntietamIntExplorer.png
SOWAntietamIntExplorer.png (108.25 KiB) Viewed 538 times
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

How to View the Textures that are used in the Antietam and the Gettysburg Maps.

Open the SOWWLSDK\NSDTools folder - the view from the second picture that you posted above.

Create a New-Folder from that directory and name it "1Antietam" without the Quotes.

Create a New-Folder from that directory and name it"2Gettysburg" without the Quotes.

Create a New Folder from that directory and name it"3DefaultMaps" without the Quotes.

Copy the Antietam.lsl file from either the Base\Maps\Folder or the Mods\Folder - to the NSDTools directory.

Copy the Gettysburg.lsl file from either the Base\Maps\Folder or the Mods\Folder - to the NSDTools directory.

Now - these files are still NOT viewable in this form - they "Must" be extracted into a folder to view them.

Open the Program called "LibEdit" - it will Open a type of Window.

Drag the "Antietam.lsl" file from your directory into it. It will show all of the files that are located in the "lsl" file.

Select \ Click - the first file - it will turn blue - scroll down and click the last file while holding the Shift key - All Files should now turn blue.

Click the [ Action] button on the LibEdit Window - Click the [ Extract File] and "Navigate" the directory to the NSDTools\ 1Antietam File that you created earlier.

To put that another way - Basically - you are going to have to manually select the C:Drive\ Open the Directories - and locate the location of the SDKTools-Folder- and find the "1Antietam" folder.

Once the LibEdit has located the\ that - folder - You must Click the Save button to Copy each file one at a time - which is approximately twenty to thirty times.

I usually just hover the Mouse above the Save button and Hold the Enter Key down until it beeps, which means that it has copied all of the files.

If done correctly - you should have all of those files if the 1Antietam Folder. You should Now be able to view them.

Follow the same instructions for copying the Gettysburg.lsl files into the 2Gettysburg folder that you created.

After that - Copy the Original "Antietam.lsl" and the "Gettysburg.lsl" into the third folder that you created earlier "3DefaultMaps".

The only point to this is that this will serve as a backup to those two files in-case something goes wrong.

A Modders - Number One Tip - always create a Backup Folder - things always seem to go wrong!

Post back when all of this is Completed!

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.