Questions about HITS - Is this forum still active?

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
matogl0396
Reactions:

Questions about HITS - Is this forum still active?

Post by matogl0396 »

Hi all,

I'm a relatively new SOW:G player. I have read a bunch of threads in the HITS sub-forum, but still have a ton of questions (how to issue certain orders, what mods to use, etc).

This forum looks pretty dead though, so wanted to gauge activity before I typed up all the details. Is anyone still here/available to answer questions, or is there perhaps another forum that would be more active?

Thanks very much in advance for your help.
Last edited by matogl0396 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grog
Reactions:

Re: Questions about HITS - Is this forum still active?

Post by Grog »

A HITS player? Oh, dear.
Go ahead, my son, I'm sure your questions will be answered :P
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

No, seriously. This forum is more active than you might think. Perhaps, because the game has been out for a long time many questions have been asked so it might have died down a bit. There are some of us who play HITS solely and regularly, MP.
matogl0396
Reactions:

Post by matogl0396 »

No, seriously. This forum is more active than you might think. Perhaps, because the game has been out for a long time many questions have been asked so it might have died down a bit. There are some of us who play HITS solely and regularly, MP.
Thanks very much, Grog! My questions are below, sorry in advance if it's too wordy, that seems to be a bad habit of mine!

So mainly I'm just trying to understand the most effective way to issue orders via the courier system. I understand that the chronological order must be location > facing > formation > roads (if applicable), and this works fine for me without problems. My issues, though, are #1 efficiency and #2 accuracy. I think some of this is due to playing canned scenarios (not free play) and also not using the right mods? I just don't know exactly what to do and was hoping for some community guidance to get me pointed in the right direction…

Efficiency: Say I play a scenario as a brigadier general. To do something as simple as move my whole bridge forward, I have to issue separate orders to each of my regiments. I could do it by only moving my HQ under "normal" play, but if I want the realism of HITS then everything has to go through the courier system, which becomes tedious and repetitive. The courier interface is just too slow to navigate. What I really would want to do is to be able to issue the orders like I do in the normal GUI (clicking the buttons), then just have them sent out as a courier message instead. Is that possible with a certain mod? Couriers&Maps mod perhaps? Is the 1.6 upgrade the most current version?

Accuracy: I find it very difficult to order my units into the correct positions using the courier system. Say I am in the same brigade scenario as above, and I have 3 regiments all next to each other in line, with a 4th in reserve to my rear center. My right flank is challenged by a large Federal force approaching from due north (those damn Yankees!). I want to send my reserve into position on my right flank, so I order them to wheel, advance 300 yds, face north, line formation, double quick! Off they go as instructed…….. completely overshooting my flank, and wind up facing harmlessly towards the trees, completely unengaged in the combat.

What I would really like to do instead is click directly on a map point (rather than a general direction or distance), but the problem is the map is WAY too zoomed out to position units with precision, not to mention it is overflowing with icons making it hard to see the terrain - which by the way I don't want to see anyway, since it feels like the "fog of war" is too weak and I can see way too much of the battlefield for realism!? Similar to above, I think the campaign maps might be different than the free play versions, is that true? And I guess the right mods might give me versions that are more natural and/or easier to use for this purpose…?

BONUS QUESTION: I also struggle to identify which unit is which, so before I send an order I have to click on their flag to see which regiment to communicate with. Since I'm in locked overhead perspective, this transfers my view unnecessarily to that unit, and then I have to click the up arrow to get back to my general. Just unnecessary and distracting. Is this just a matter of me needing to learn regimental flags by sight, or is there another way I can identify a unit without moving to its viewpoint?

Thank you again very much for all your help. Please let me know if this makes sense or if you have any clarifying questions. I'm about a decade late to this party, but am LOVING this game and definitely want to get better/smarter at playing it the right way.
Last edited by matogl0396 on Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

Hi matogl0396

Sorry it's taken a while to get back. I've been away for a few days. i don't have a lot of time now so appols if brief, I'll try and answer all your questions soon.

In short, I think most HITS players play with the point and click method, rather than using the Orders Screens. Our group have been playing HITS at least once a week, MP, and have collectively agreed on what makes it playable, whilst keeping it immersive and having a heavy dose of Fog of War, thrown in. Its not everyone's preference.

We play the Waterloo game now, mostly, with MODS but have played a lot of Gettysberg and associated Mods in HITS.

The point and click procedure is a slightly different between games but it is possible to command a Division effectively, once you getused to it.

Ensure your realism settings are set to Custom and Distance from camera is low (between 2-15yds, depending on preference), set Orders by Courier to Brigade level.

With the Gettysburg game you have to click on the area of ground that you want the unit (Regiment/Brigade/Division) or yourself to move to. The Courier will be seen carrying the order to the unit. You have to wait until the order is received before you will see the direction Icon appear. Then, decide on the direction the unit needs to face using the < and > keys, send courier. Then click the formation you want them to adopt from the GUI, send Courier.

It sounds a bit long winded but you soon get used to it. Try a brigade first. You shouldn't need to TC individual Regiments unless you want them to stay put and not act with any independent thought.

The Courier Orders Page is useful, though, for moving larger formations such as Divisions, perhaps Brigades, about the Command Map. It actually works better in the Gettysberg game. Recommend Maps and Couriers Mod for this aspect of play.

Hope this helps for now and is what you were asking for?

Grog
matogl0396
Reactions:

Post by matogl0396 »

Hi matogl0396

In short, I think most HITS players play with the point and click method, rather than using the Orders Screens. Our group have been playing HITS at least once a week, MP, and have collectively agreed on what makes it playable, whilst keeping it immersive and having a heavy dose of Fog of War, thrown in. Its not everyone's preference.

With the Gettysburg game you have to click on the area of ground that you want the unit (Regiment/Brigade/Division) or yourself to move to. The Courier will be seen carrying the order to the unit. You have to wait until the order is received before you will see the direction Icon appear. Then, decide on the direction the unit needs to face using the < and > keys, send courier. Then click the formation you want them to adopt from the GUI, send Courier.

Grog
Hi Grog, thank you for your reply, sorry it took me a while to respond as well (rough week with work). What you said makes sense, but I didn't actually know the "point and click method" was possible? You're saying I can order a unit the normal clicky/GUI way, then hit "send courier" or something so the order only happens with the time delay of a courier? Sorry for the ignorant question, but I don't actually know how to do that? Is "send courier" a button on the menu under the Orders section or something?

I just downloaded/installed Couriers&Maps mod, so I will also be trying that out today.

Thanks again for your help.
matogl0396
Reactions:

Post by matogl0396 »

Hi matogl0396

Grog
Hi Grog, thank you for your reply, sorry it took me a while to respond as well (rough week with work). What you said makes sense, but I didn't actually know the "point and click method" was possible? You're saying I can order a unit the normal clicky/GUI way, then hit "send courier" or something so the order only happens with the time delay of a courier? Sorry for the ignorant question, but I don't actually know how to do that? Is "send courier" a button on the menu under the Orders section or something?

I just downloaded/installed Couriers&Maps mod, so I will also be trying that out today.

Thanks again for your help.
Hey actually nevermind, no need to reply to this. I followed your instructions, specifically setting custom options for distance and courier level, and this made all the difference!!!

The distance helps keep me "locked in" to my commander (even when clicking distant regimental flags), and the courier level lets me make "point and click" orders which are automatically sent out as couriers on horseback.

I also chose "camera stay while navigating OOB" which seems to make things easier for me so far too.

This is great, thanks again!

-Matt
Last edited by matogl0396 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

That's great, Matt
Yes, camera stay with job while navigating helps.
Hope you enjoy your HITS games.
Our MP games are very immersive, communication between players is only with Couriers using the free form letters page.
Mike