Railroad

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Railroad

Post by BOSTON »

Anybody

Does anybody know if the Union Army was using the rail system for transportation in or around Gettysburg during the battle?

Hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Re:Railroad

Post by Hancock the Superb »

How could they? The railroad was in Confederate hands at the end of day one, and only the 1st and 11th Corps came from the South on day one. The 12th arrived on a parallel road to the railway, the 2nd arrived from the SE, and the 3rd arrived from the south, all at night of July 1st.
Hancock the Superb
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

At some point the Union would of had a clear railroad in the vincinity (York) of Pennsylvainia.
Last edited by BOSTON on Tue May 05, 2009 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

The only use of the RR that I remember is the evacuation of casualties from Camp Lettermn by train after the battle.

http://www.gettysburgdaily.com/?p=2123
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Amish John wrote:
The only use of the RR that I remember is the evacuation of casualties from Camp Lettermn by train after the battle.

http://www.gettysburgdaily.com/?p=2123
AJ
Read the site you brought up. What I had in mind is, with all the emphasis on the use of the railroad during the CW, could it have been utilized better before-during the battle of GB? I often wondered if the Union could have brought up motars and alike by rail during the battle?

Hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston