Custom scenario design with grog.

A new scenario/battle editor is in development and should be following hot on the heels of Waterloo - any questions can go here.
52ndOx
Reactions:

Custom scenario design with grog.

Post by 52ndOx »

I am trying to come to grips with the scenario editor. :dry:
Being able to create new scenarios is an area of the game with potential for me.

I also like the features of the Grog, thanks!

I know that Grog toolbar mod comes with its own versions of the games stock scenarios, so my question here is how do they differ from standard to make them compatible, and can the scenario editor handle it, or do the csvs have to be manually edited? Or are there other issues?

Any enlightenment appreciated.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Custom scenario design with grog.

Post by RebBugler »

I am trying to come to grips with the scenario editor. :dry:
Being able to create new scenarios is an area of the game with potential for me.

I also like the features of the Grog, thanks!

I know that Grog toolbar mod comes with its own versions of the games stock scenarios, so my question here is how do they differ from standard to make them compatible, and can the scenario editor handle it, or do the csvs have to be manually edited? Or are there other issues?

Any enlightenment appreciated.
The stock scenarios included with the Grog Toolbar are identical to the stock versions, only their names have been slightly altered so they will appear in User Scenarios and be mod friendly.

Can't help you with the scenario designer app. I kinda knew it four years ago from a tutorial by the author. However, I felt more comfortable designing scenarios my old manual way so never got into learning it by using it, the only real way to learn an app.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

The stock scenarios included with the Grog Toolbar are identical to the stock versions, only their names have been slightly altered so they will appear in User Scenarios and be mod friendly.
Sorry, can you explain this a bit more?
I was under the impression that Grog couldn't be used with some scenarios (like the stock ones) and that is why there are different versions of them in the mod?

And if only names are changed, then how does that make them "mod friendly"?

Questions, questions. :whistle:
Last edited by 52ndOx on Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Sorry, can you explain this a bit more?
I was under the impression that Grog couldn't be used with some scenarios (like the stock ones) and that is why there are different versions of them in the mod?

And if only names are changed, then how does that make them "mod friendly"?

Questions, questions. :whistle:
Scenarios named the same as stock scenarios won't show up in User Scenarios. And, only scenarios in User Scenarios are mod friendly, stock scenarios played with mods generally have issues and crash.
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

Thanks again.
But I need to ask again I am afraid, sorry.
stock scenarios played with mods generally have issues and crash.
But your Grog toolbar is a mod, so it can't be used with stock scenarios?
The stock scenarios included with the Grog Toolbar are identical to the stock versions
So what is it that make them support the Grog?? Just the location in a User Scenario folder?

The reason for asking is that I want to design scenarios that can use the Grog, and I need to know what is required to make that possible. What am I missing here?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

But your Grog toolbar is a mod, so it can't be used with stock scenarios?
Correct, that's why it totally eliminates the WL Scenarios section and any links to it.
So what is it that make them support the Grog?? Just the location in a User Scenario folder?
Well, kinda, a Scenarios folder. No such thing as a User Scenarios folder. That's just the window's (section) name.
The reason for asking is that I want to design scenarios that can use the Grog, and I need to know what is required to make that possible. What am I missing here?
Just build your mod, include your scenarios in a Scenarios folder, and they'll work with the Grog Toolbar (showing up in the User Scenarios window). You're starting to overthink stuff.
Last edited by RebBugler on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

Ok, I'll stop asking. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Just for the record, its not overthinking, its trying to make sense of conflicting information. ;)
Correct, that's why it totally eliminates the WL Scenarios section and any links to it.
But the ones it does link to are identical. :blink:
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

But the ones it does link to are identical.

Correct, I already stated that. It's the name change that throws stock scenarios to User Scenarios.

Do this...

Open the Grog Toolbar/Scenarios folder. Pick a stock scenario and delete the final character (_) in its name. Adding this character is how the stock scenarios were renamed. Then open the game and go to User Scenarios. That scenario that you altered will be gone because now it has the same name as its respective stock scenario.

Sorry if you're still confused, but that's the way this part of the game works.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

But the ones it does link to are identical.

Correct, I already stated that. It's the name change that throws stock scenarios to User Scenarios.

Do this...

Open the Grog Toolbar/Scenarios folder. Pick a stock scenario and delete the final character (_) in its name. Adding this character is how the stock scenarios were renamed. Then open the game and go to User Scenarios. That scenario that you altered will be gone because now it has the same name as its respective stock scenario.

Sorry if you're still confused, but that's the way this part of the game works.
I think what he's confused about Reb is that if the stock scenarios and their user scenario counterparts are identical in all but name, then why wouldn't the grog toolbar work with the stock scenarios the same as it does with it's user scenario counterparts.
He's not taking into account all the changes the grog toolbar makes to the game itself, and just looking for differences between the two versions of the scenarios themselves.
It's not that the scenarios are different. It's the grog toolbar,(or any mod for that matter)that changes things. The grog toolbar has different formations, different appearances of different formations and a host of other things that conflict with the base game. You can crash the stock scenarios on purpose with the grog toolbar just by doing something that you know isn't in the base game.
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

I think what he's confused about Reb is that if the stock scenarios and their user scenario counterparts are identical in all but name, then why wouldn't the grog toolbar work with the stock scenarios the same as it does with it's user scenario counterparts.
He's not taking into account all the changes the grog toolbar makes to the game itself, and just looking for differences between the two versions of the scenarios themselves.
It's not that the scenarios are different. It's the grog toolbar,(or any mod for that matter)that changes things. The grog toolbar has different formations, different appearances of different formations and a host of other things that conflict with the base game. You can crash the stock scenarios on purpose with the grog toolbar just by doing something that you know isn't in the base game.
Thanks Rob, you understood me better, but even so not completely.
As usual, I am just trying to understand how the game works.

I know the Grog is a mod, and it changes the way the game works by including modified files that have higher priority than the default ones, like any other mod.
But a scenario consists of just 5 files (one ini, 2 csv and 2 txt).
If those 5 files are identical in the mods scenarios to the ones accessed in the stock game, then it goes against all logic that one crashes and not the other!
And if they are not identical then I would like to know what the differences are, so I can be sure that any scenarios I build will not crash when Grog mod is active!

That was the question, and I feel that it is not answered. Sorry if I am dumb. :blush:

EDIT:
I'll have a go at answering myself.
If the scenarios are not just data, but actually launch the game, and use relative paths not absolute ones, then their location can affect things because a different version of the game is then run with the same parameters.
Last edited by 52ndOx on Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.