True LOS - Realistic Battle Distances

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: True LOS - Realistic Battlefield Distances

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Thanks for the kind words.
I'm pretty sure I've got the 'Walk' speed set correctly for true distances at 3 miles per hour, as explained in the first post.
That's something else I don't understand. Measuring the map size by using marching speed doesn't make a lot of sense. If you do so, then you have to say the map is a 2 hour map or whatever. All you are measuring by walking speed is how long it takes a unit to march over hills, through stream valleys, through woods, etc. in a certain amount of time. That is completely dependent on the terrain features and does not measure distance. It measures time for one particular path across the map.
I thought that in the old days of TC2M - One man was three feet wide and one man stood for 1 yard of distance, so each man represented 10 men, so is that where the ( 30 ) originated from?
NSD wanted its regiment line to represent the average length of ground a real regiment occupied. So they enlarged the sprites such that an average regiment had the correct length. Hence the sprites are 12 feet high.
To find out why the number of pixels/yd. is 30, just a little arithmetic is needed. A SOWGB 2.5 mi. map is 130752 pixels on a side. So 130752 / 2.5 = 52301 pixels / mi. There are 1760 yd. per mi., so 52301 / 1760 = 29.7 or 30 pixels/yd. For 5 mi. maps, (261824 pixels) you end up with 29.75 or once again 30 pixels/yd.
Reb's mod cuts the size of the maps in half, in effect bringing the geographical items closer together, (in terms of yd. apart), but making the units look like they are farther apart, (pixels apart).
Last edited by Marching Thru Georgia on Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

To find out why the number of pixels/yd. is 30, just a little arithmetic is needed. A SOWGB 2.5 mi. map is 130752 pixels on a side. So 130752 / 2.5 = 52301 pixels / mi. There are 1760 yd. per mi., so 52301 / 1760 = 29.7 or 30 pixels/yd. For 5 mi. maps, (261824 pixels) you end up with 29.75 or once again 30 pixels/yd.
Reb's mod cuts the size of the maps in half, in effect bringing the geographical items closer together, (in terms of yd. apart), but making the units look like they are farther apart, (pixels apart).
Thanks, You explained that in a way that I could actually understand!

Math is Not my strong point!

So, a "Single" man would occupy a single pixel standing up, and if it were laid down it would only occupy two pixels in length, correct?

If that's True, it would be fairly simple to place several miles of pixels on a Map to test the walking speed for the men. It would just require the removal of any objects, and movement penalties.

Or, did I also get that Wrong?

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Dis-Regard This Post!

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Thanks for the kind words.
I'm pretty sure I've got the 'Walk' speed set correctly for true distances at 3 miles per hour, as explained in the first post.
That's something else I don't understand. Measuring the map size by using marching speed doesn't make a lot of sense. If you do so, then you have to say the map is a 2 hour map or whatever. All you are measuring by walking speed is how long it takes a unit to march over hills, through stream valleys, through woods, etc. in a certain amount of time. That is completely dependent on the terrain features and does not measure distance. It measures time for one particular path across the map.
I used the Kansas map and tested across flat and open terrain. A unit was moved the distance of 880 yards, 1/2 mile, and the walk speed was tweaked until the unit completed that distance in 10 minutes...Establishing a walk speed of 3. This is based on historic observations that marching troops cover 3 miles in 1 hour, or 1 mile in twenty minutes, hence 1/2 mile in ten minutes. Am I being clear yet, or did I miss something?
NSD wanted its regiment line to represent the average length of ground a real regiment occupied. So they enlarged the sprites such that an average regiment had the correct length. Hence the sprites are 12 feet high.
I knew about the 12 feet sprite scaling procedure, but the rest of your explanation provided for more enlightenment...Thanks :)
Last edited by RebBugler on Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

A SOWGB 2.5 mi. map is 130752 pixels on a side.
Now I'm confused even more :P

I thought that A SOWWL map is based on the heightmap, and 2.5 miles would olny be 256 pixels.
The actual bmp can be any resolution no?
GB is different?
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I thought that A SOWWL map is based on the heightmap, and 2.5 miles would olny be 256 pixels.
The actual bmp can be any resolution no?
GB is different?
The "height.tga" located in the LStudio does determine the size of the Map, but if you start up the LStudio and turn the camera ninety degrees and move along the edge of the map until the end of it.

That will show you the coordinates from one end until the next.

The Mapname.bmp has to be 8bit as far as I know.

davinci
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

The Mapname.bmp has to be 8bit as far as I know.
Yes, and grayscale too.
But it can be any size, changing it from 1024p to 2048p doesn't make more miles on the map, it just makes distances between locations smaller because the coordinates have to be scaled to the 512p (for 5 miles) heightmap anyway.
At least, that's how it works for me, but I am still a novice.

Changing vertical scale shouldn't affect anything, all objects in PR6 can be arbitrarily scaled anyway.
Terrain sprites are scalable in gfx.csv but not on independent axes. The aspect ratio is fixed.
Last edited by 52ndOx on Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

So, a "Single" man would occupy a single pixel standing up, and if it were laid down it would only occupy two pixels in length, correct?
No. He occupies as many pixels as is his original drawn size times the scale modifier in unitpack. He's like a house. His size doesn't change when UnitPerYard is changed.
Last edited by Marching Thru Georgia on Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Dis-Regard This Post!

davinci
Yeah, that post kinda epitomized your slogan:

"The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!"

:lol:
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

Dis-Regard This Post!

davinci
Yes. It's like the start of Davinci Buddhism.
"Do not think about the white horse"