True LOS - Realistic Battle Distances

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: True LOS - Realistic Battlefield Distances

Post by Davinci »

"Reb" - I don't think that this is a LOS Setting, it is more of a Draw Distance Setting.

So, if this setting is set at ( 1 ), the camera will only draw a certain distance away from the point of the camera, and it has nothing to do with the location of the men on the field.

I can move the camera away from the units and the Draw Distance is still extremely limited.

Also, this Setting affects everything on the Map, houses, fences, crops, trees, and the men.

The higher the Setting, the greater the draw distance, which is why the view of units away from you are shown on the map, but also it probably draws a lot more of the trees, grass, crops, houses, fences, etc...

Set it to a ( 1 ), without changing any of the other files, and see if you still reach the same conclusion.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I'm guessing no, since this is a virtual map resizing, not a physical one.
And "You" are Absolutely Correct!

This is the darn-est Mystery, I just can't seem to figure out!

davinci
Read MTG's explanations again, took me a while, but I finally figured it out, I think.

Regarding your quest for better FPS rates for your BIG Army setups, instead of messing with the 'UnitsPerYard' numbers, have you tried just changing the Max Visibility number that regulates your gameplay preferences? Pretty sure this is how FPS rates are increased when the 'UnitsPerYard' number is decreased. So, any process to decrease overall visibility will increase FPS rates, hence, go with the easiest process.

Since you prefer Sandbox play, change the sandbox.ini file in the Work folder, visibility line (Weather=2) to a lower visibility. You can also decrease the visibility numbers in the unitattributes file to increase FPS rates even more, although you probably know at least this part.

Anyway, some ideas for better FPS

Edit: Reworded this message after discovering the Weather line in the sandbox.ini file
Last edited by RebBugler on Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Regarding your quest for better FPS rates for your BIG Army setups, instead of messing with the 'UnitsPerYard' numbers, have you tried just changing the Max Visibility number that regulates your gameplay preferences? Pretty sure this is how FPS rates are increased when the 'UnitsPerYard' number is decreased. So, any process to decrease overall visibility will increase FPS rates, hence, go with the easiest process.
Yes, I Agree!

I think that I'm just going to leave it at ( 26 ), and go find something else to mess with!

The ( 5 FPS ) is only when the two hundred thousand men are marching, once the marching is over and the units are fighting the FPS goes up, but I have always played like that. No Complaints here!

Thanks,

davinci
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: True LOS - Realistic Battle Distances

Post by RebBugler »

Update 1.1, August 11, 2019, fixes some formation errors

Also changed the name of this mod to clarify its function...It's not 'Realistic Battleground Distances', its 'Realistic Battle Distances'. 'Realistic Battleground Distances' along with 'Realistic Battle Distances' will be coming with my next mod - True Distances, already in progress.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Reb - before you put a hundred hours into this, You should Send "Norb" a "PM" and see if he can explain exactly what this change does.

I'm still under the impression that it is an advanced "Draw Distance Setting".

davinci
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Reb - before you put a hundred hours into this, You should Send "Norb" a "PM" and see if he can explain exactly what this change does.

I'm still under the impression that it is an advanced "Draw Distance Setting".

davinci
I won't be furthering this mod or using 'UnitPerYard=62' for another, it's served its purpose with this mod in making true battle distances a pretty fast and easy build. In the quest for true battleground distances, my experiments with scaling up maps using 'UnitPerYard=62' were a bust, so I'm going the true path to true distances by scaling down the sprites and map objects with my next mod. So far it's working out, but at the rate I'm going now, it may take months to scale down and reset all the fences.

Since this mod will take so long just for one map, I'll start a thread soon regarding it's purpose, progress, and mainly provide for a 'map questions' place for me to ask for help. I've got a bunch of questions already, but I'll save them for that thread.
Last edited by RebBugler on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

So far it's working out, but at the rate I'm going now, it may take months to scale down and reset all the fences.
Reb - depending on the Map in question - I might be able to assist you if the fences are the worm-fences.

This will only work if you are only adjusting the heights and not the length.

I might be able to use a "HexEditor" and change thousands of fences in only a few seconds.

Two things that I need to know!

1) Which Map?
2) What is the New Height that you are using on the fences?

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

So far it's working out, but at the rate I'm going now, it may take months to scale down and reset all the fences.
Reb - depending on the Map in question - I might be able to assist you if the fences are the worm-fences.

This will only work if you are only adjusting the heights and not the length.

I might be able to use a "HexEditor" and change thousands of fences in only a few seconds.

Two things that I need to know!

1) Which Map?
2) What is the New Height that you are using on the fences?

davinci
Just height won't do, they'll lose their realistic look. Interesting idea though, if all three parameters could be batch-scaled, at 0.5, then those scaled fences could be selected, duplicated and moved to the adjacent spaces created by the 0.5 scaling procedure. Then again, might have to scale them larger so they'd overlap properly, a concern, since the troop sprite scaling is set, and can't be scaled up without upsetting battle distances. IOW, all scaling is based on soldier sprite size.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, I would like to check out that "HexEditor" for possibilities. :)

...Working on Devils Den, since you asked, objects are scaled at 0.5, soldier sprites slightly smaller, they were divided by 2.15 (the arrived at magic number for true distances), whatever that percentage is, probably around 0.48. These different scales work OK for me since I've always observed the soldiers being slightly too large for the objects in the stock game.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Just height won't do, they'll lose their realistic look. Interesting idea though, if all three parameters could be batch-scaled, at 0.5,
They are Worm-Fences - Not telling you anything that you don't know, but it's just wooden planks stacked on top of each other.

Now, the Rail-Fences - might not appear correctly, here is a picture using the HexEditor to change 32,618 worm fences in 2 seconds.

The picture on the Left - the size I am using, the picture on the Right - a larger size.

But, all of the fences "Only" use the first two values, the "Third Value" is thickness which is "Not" use by the game or the PR Engine as far as the fences go.
The attachment 1_2019-08-12.png is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
1_2019-08-12.png
1_2019-08-12.png (904.78 KiB) Viewed 558 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

The ideal fix would be to replace (batch process) the stock worm fence segment with two scaled down (0.5) and linked worm fence segments.

I see available Hex Editor apps on line. Do you have a recommendation I can check out safely?