Reb... Scale error on translation of the movement formula..... :)

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
MarkT
Reactions:

Reb... Scale error on translation of the movement formula..... :)

Post by MarkT »

Reb,
I read your realism scale essay... nice.
You referenced the formula, i referenced for movement as 3 miles per hour. That is incorrect.

It is 3 miles per hour WITH a ten minute rest. So that is 3 miles in 50 minutes!
This is a VERY common issue people have translating the formula. Your movement rate in your mod should be 3.6 MPH!
But it can vary per conditions and such.
4 is closer as troops tended to "quicken the pace" as battle neared. (anxiety or stupidity I guess)

Have a good one.
Mark S. Tewes
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Reb... Scale error on translation of the movement formula..... :)

Post by RebBugler »

Reb,
I read your realism scale essay... nice.
You referenced the formula, i referenced for movement as 3 miles per hour. That is incorrect.

It is 3 miles per hour WITH a ten minute rest. So that is 3 miles in 50 minutes!
This is a VERY common issue people have translating the formula. Your movement rate in your mod should be 3.6 MPH!
But it can vary per conditions and such.
4 is closer as troops tended to "quicken the pace" as battle neared. (anxiety or stupidity I guess)

Have a good one.
That issue did cross my mind, but I stubbornly went with 3 MPH ignoring the 10 minute break...My head said, if they only march one mile in 20 minutes, there's no break to be calculated in. I'll trust your numbers, even going with the stretch to 4 MPH. That gets us back to stock movement speeds, a plus in that the unitglobal file can be eliminated making this mod more MP friendly.

Thanks for the head's up, I'll test this change out tonight.
Last edited by RebBugler on Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...