'True Ground SR1' - Scenarios & OOBs

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: 'True Ground SR1' - Scenarios & OOBs

Post by RebBugler »

Little Round Top CSA ..

Just about got it! Five more mins and maybe not, but hey, a victory is a victory! ;)

David(jolly)
Alright, first TG post!

Glad to see a Major Victory with this scenario and all the extra ground that has to be covered. Good fightin' there General. :)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Thank you Reb!
I spent a heck of a lot of time trying to get a decent result in the 'Barksdale, The Longest Charge' scenario. I almost got a draw after many hours of playing this - trying all kinds of different strategies. The third objective is the 'killer' for me. But it's been a thrilling scenario to play!

I did manage a good victory as the Union at Little Round Top, but I've been a bit of a failure trying to hold the Devil's Den scenario!

Some you win - some not, but it's absorbing either way!

David(jolly)
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

A Moment that The Movie Gettysburg Should have Included

Built from scratch, Wright's Moment of Glory is in the final stages of development and testing. Stay tuned :)
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Hi Reb - I just see a black rectangle! ;)

I managed a victory with the TG_GB07 scenario. I secured the objectives but then sat around for 5 mins before realising I was a few points short! Ah well, shows what a little of complacancy can do.
I'm gonna take the victory nethertheless. :)
The attachment victor.jpg is no longer available
David(jolly)
Attachments
victor.jpg
victor.jpg (190.69 KiB) Viewed 295 times
Last edited by Jolly on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Good Generalin' there Jolly, 'To the Roundtops' is arguably the toughest scenario in the GB series to beat.

Thanks for the post, reminded me that all the GB stock scenarios included in 'True Ground' need to be upgraded with TG End Screens...Showing victory criteria, scenario name, difficulty level played, and the Confederate End Screen when appropriate.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Cheers Reb. End screens updates sounds good!

A big score here, but by no means was it easy.

TG_GB09 - Sickles stays home ...
The attachment Sickles.jpg is no longer available
David(jolly)
Attachments
Sickles.jpg
Sickles.jpg (154 KiB) Viewed 295 times
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

TG_GB13 - Another hard fought victory ...

Last one for now (I've run out of scenarios)!
The attachment Missme.jpg is no longer available
Cheers,

David(jolly)
Attachments
Missme.jpg
Missme.jpg (147.4 KiB) Viewed 295 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

GB2-17_July2-Wright's Moment of Glory (C-Brig)

Command: Brig General Ambrose R. Wright's Brigade

Situation:
You saw the Confederate colors replace the Union's as the Peach Orchard position fell, denoting your first visual clue as to the progress and, or success of General Lee's en echelon attack plan. Seeing those Union colors fall has boosted your men's confidence, as it's been waning as the battle sounds of death grow increasing near. Good timing with that morale boost, for now it's our turn to attack the ridge as ordered, maintaining close proximity with General Lane's brigade on our right. General Posey's brigade will follow on your left.

Forces Available:
Lt General Ambrose P. Hill - Corps Commander
Major General Richard H. Anderson - Division Commander
Brig General Ambrose R. Wright - Wright's Brigade

3rd Georgia - Colonel Edward J. Walker
22nd Georgia - Colonel George H. Jones
48th Georgia - Colonel William Gibson
2nd Georgia Battalion - Major Thomas Hardeman

Brigade strength: 1414 troops and officers
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This scenario has been on my 'To Do' list for years. The accepted historical version of the 'High Tide' moment for Wright's attack being the breach of the Union center just south of the 'Copse of Trees', which was indeed heroic and momentous. However, against overwhelming odds, that was all she wrote for this ill fated attack, resulting in nearly 50 percent casualty rates for the brigade, as within minutes after their gain they were forced to retreat from the field of battle.

Another version of the battle, according to General Wright's Official Report, included a much more intriguing series of events. Wright reported of the capture of twenty guns, sweeping the enemy line from the ridge, and approaching the Leister House, Meade's headquarters. Only after being attacked on his flanks, due to lack of support, was he forced to retreat.

This scenario combines both versions, continuing from the breach below the 'Copse of Trees', through the artillery at 'The Angle', then east to the Leister House. Not only does this scenario scrutinize Wright's report, it makes for a much more interesting, and challenging, scenario.

First objective secured, the path laid out by the remaining objectives now visible...
Wright 1 (1).jpg
Wright 1 (1).jpg (457.17 KiB) Viewed 271 times
One second left, saved by the timer, couldn't retreat if I wanted to, almost completely surrounded...
Wright 1 (2).jpg
Wright 1 (2).jpg (448.17 KiB) Viewed 271 times
After many tries, and several Major Defeats, this Victory is my best effort to date...
New 2nd Day End Screen - Wright's Attack (a color version will show with a Major Victory...Be the first to post it, call to SOW Generals)
Wright 1 (3).jpg
Wright 1 (3).jpg (374.86 KiB) Viewed 271 times
Last edited by RebBugler on Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

GB2-18_July2-Anderson's Attack, What If (C-Div)

Command: Major General Richard H. Anderson's Division (3 brigades)

Situation: What If: General Hill gets word that General Anderson has caused a confusion of orders (contrary to General Lee's orders) and is thereby ordered to the field of battle to eliminate that confusion. Arriving late, Anderson sees that Generals Wright and Posey are already stepping off to the attack. General Mahone's brigade, following Hill's orders that countered Anderson's, has been moved up from reserve, and will now join the attack.

Forces Available:
Lt General Ambrose P. Hill - Corps Commander
Major General Richard H. Anderson - Division Commander

Brig General Ambrose R. Wright - Wright's Brigade
3rd Georgia - Colonel Edward J. Walker
22nd Georgia - Colonel George H. Jones
48th Georgia - Colonel William Gibson
2nd Georgia Battalion - Major Thomas Hardeman

Brig General Carnot Posey - Posey's Brigade
12th Mississippi - Major Samuel B. Thomas
16th Mississippi - Colonel Samuel E. Baker
19th Mississippi - Colonel Nathaniel H. Harris
48th Mississippi - Colonel Joseph M. Jayne

Brig General William Mahone - Mahone's Brigade
6th Virginia - Colonel George T. Rogers
12th Virginia - Colonel Everard M. Field
16th Virginia - Colonel Joseph H. Ham
41st Virginia - Colonel William A. Parham
61st Virginia - Colonel Virginius D. Groner

Major John Lane - Anderson's Division Artillery

Division (3 Brigades) strength: 4576 troops and officers, 17 guns
­­­­­­­­_____________________________________________________________

For this time and place of the battle, this scenario reflects General Lee's attack plan, 'as ordered'. Historically, Lee's 'en echelon' attack plan did not follow through after Wright's heroic but costly, attack at the center of the Union line. If Mahome's brigade had continued as ordered, followed by Pender and Rodes divisions, new history would have been recorded for this 2nd day at Gettysburg.

Still, if this scenario's any indication of the eventual outcome of Lee's attack plan following through, it would have been a tough climb for the Rebels to overcome the Yankee position along Cemetery Hill. If we ever get to a 'True Ground' map that covers that part of the battle, I'll definitely build it and explore the possibilities.

Some Notes...
- Built from the 'Wright' scenario, the same 'retreat triggers' will help even the odds and clear paths to objectives
- When things get crowded, move officers to the destination first (at a run) before moving troops via formation. Too many times officers will veer way off direct paths, many times into the enemy, with their troops following blindly. Once the officer is at the destination, then order the formation. Troops will then proceed to the destination pretty much along a direct path. Use 'Ctrl Hold' waypoints when necessary to guide officers' paths.
- The furthermost objective, Leister House, once activated will summon Union reinforcements. A historical event in this 'What If', as Robinson's second division was ordered to move from Culps Hill to Cemetery Ridge. This last objective takes about 11 minutes to capture all its points (2000), so a heads up on how soon you want to open the door for more Federal forces to fight.

One second left...And hugging those 'Big Support Bonus' walls to that last second
Anderson1.jpg
Anderson1.jpg (518.47 KiB) Viewed 270 times

Don't let the score fool you, took me a half dozen tries before this MV, previous attempts included only one victory, the rest being draws and defeats. And I KNOW this scenario, as such I solidly consider it a GROGNARD BEAST.
Anderson2.jpg
Anderson2.jpg (408 KiB) Viewed 270 times
Last edited by RebBugler on Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

I like the colour news pic Reb!

After a few tries I got a victory with this scenario.
Again, not easy (for me). I had a few dismal defeats before this ...
The attachment Peachy.jpg is no longer available
David(jolly)
Attachments
Peachy.jpg
Peachy.jpg (166.78 KiB) Viewed 295 times