Same old, same old

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
cliometrician
Reactions:

From Bad to Worse

Post by cliometrician »

Recently I've chronicled some of the problems I've been having, but things reached their nadir tonight. I have been trying to play a solitaire game, without success. My mods selected initiatly were B&F XIX, Peninsula Campaign of 1862, and NGCM Maps 1. When the game comes up, I hit "map" and the game crashes. I then when through all sorts of combinations with different maps, different OOBs, it just didn't matter, every time I went to hit "map" the game crashed.

I went back to B&F XII, but no luck.  Whatever mods I had selected, every game crashed immediately when I tried to look at the mini-map.
What could be causing this problem?
My wit's end is in sight.
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
RebBugler
Reactions:

From Bad to Worse

Post by RebBugler »

So, when you disable the mod 'NGCM Maps 1' the game still crashes when you select the mini map command?
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
cliometrician
Reactions:

From Bad to Worse

Post by cliometrician »

Reb, yes, I tried several different map mods and they all crashed (Lynchburg, Manassas, etc.) Never seen anything like it.
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
cliometrician
Reactions:

From Bad to Worse

Post by cliometrician »

Ah, this must be the culprit. Here the part of the last log:
11:00:01 ERROR LOADING MAP_ICONS.TGA
I had deleted the map_icons.tga in order to try and enlarge the icons on the mini-map.
cliometrician
Reactions:

Same old, same old

Post by cliometrician »

Back to my computer after my wife had knee replacement four days ago. After I tried a solitaire game using the NGCM Random Maps 1, B&F XIX, and Peninsula Campaign 1862. The game lasted about 10 minutes before it crashed. The log indicated that maps were the problem: ID NOT Found for orchards and farm.

So, I changed maps to the Manassas Map. This time the game crashed after about five minutes, and I can see nothing on the log that went wrong. I have attached the log.

I have used the Peninsula Campaign 1862 for years, ever since it was published. Ever since I got my new computer every game has crashed, some after more than one hour of play.
I don't know what else to do. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments

[The extension log has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

RebBugler
Reactions:

Same old, same old

Post by RebBugler »

I don't think your new computer or Win10 is causing your crashes.  I bought a new computer with Win10 last year and it plays the game better than ever.  What I do think is that you have map mods interfering with each other and thus the crashes.  It's a known fact that map mods are generally the main culprit when the game crashes or behaves abnormally.  I suggest you only enable one map mod at a time when you play a game.  It may be inconvenient, but you only can play on one map at a time anyway, so it may be worth trying out if it solves the issues that you're having.
cliometrician
Reactions:

Same old, same old

Post by cliometrician »

Thank you, Reb, for your prompt reply. When my problems began I disabled every map mod except the one being used. For example, with these last two crashes the only mods I had enabled were a single map mod (Manassas in the last one), Peninsula Campaign 1862, and B&F XIX. When I changed OOB, Gettysburg for instance, the game still crashed.

Am I at the point where I need to reinstall the game? I was hoping for a solution other than that. Don't know what else I can do.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Same old, same old

Post by RebBugler »

Yes, I concur, reinstall the game.  Since you inadvertently deleted the Map_icons.tga file from the base game (when you should have deleted that file from the B&F mod), you may have inadvertently changed something else previously.  Just as a stern reminder, never mess with the base game files, that's what mods are for.
cliometrician
Reactions:

Same old, same old

Post by cliometrician »

Reb, I reinstalled the game today. Two games attempted, two games crashed (one lasted 3 min, the other 10 min), using the same maps and OOB I've used for years. I was using B&F XIX.
Trying different combinations later today.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Same old, same old

Post by RebBugler »

If you avoided using any of the GCM maps like I advised, then maybe there's an app on your computer that's causing a conflict.  Try turning off your anti-virus when running a game if all else fails.