Gettysburg in Waterloo?

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
Keat
Reactions:

Gettysburg in Waterloo?

Post by Keat »

Hi,

I'm mostly a Civil War player but from time to time I get a game in on Waterloo.
I really like the updates that Waterloo brings to the table and would love to play Gettysburg with these improvements. Is it possible to port Gettysburg to Waterloo?
I'm not that well versed in the modding scene but would it be possible to mod in the files? Like units and maps?
Any ideas are welcome.
Thank you
RebBugler
Reactions:

Gettysburg in Waterloo?

Post by RebBugler »

Yeah, the WL toolbar design possibilities are far superior to the GB model, I know since I've modded both for years, at least to the limits of my know-how.  Also I like the destination context menu and the click and drag directions function.  Clicking directions drives me nuts with GB after being spoiled by the WL method.

Infantry and artillery would take a lot of time and testing to convert, but I think they would work OK.  Also I think the maps would be compatible.  However, cavalry conversion is a no go.  The cavalry style of play is totally different, and coded that way, so can't be modded.  No dismounted cavalry and infantry reacting to cavalry by forming squares would make ACW recreations awkward and totally unrealistic.  The square formations could be replaced by lines but still the cavalry charges would be too dominate, and rule the field, until they're exhausted from charging since that's all they can do, and pooped out in a matter of minutes.

Don't know if I'll try a conversion, I can live with the SOWGB version, and it works fine with SR1 play.  WL won't work realistically with SR1 play, because battalions or companies didn't form squares.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Keat
Reactions:

Gettysburg in Waterloo?

Post by Keat »

You can always count on Reb to come with a awesome and detailed answer.
Thank you.

I could live with not having any Cav since I rarely use it in Sandbox play anyway, a shame that it would be so time consuming to create. Was kinda hoping that it would be a drag and drop situation. Like you said the destination context menu and the click and drag directions function is such a huge QoL improvement that it's hard to go back.

But back I go anyway, I'll continue on with your SR1 scenarios and Sandbox, and clicking like a madman Image
Thank you for your work and keep it up