Scourge of War Update

Threads discussing NSD news items from the front page.
asalex
Reactions:

Re: Scourge of War Update

Post by asalex »

Great news!!!

I can't count the sleepless nights playing SoW with the DoW (unintentional rhyme :lol: ) these last two years.

Now the news that they are going to continue polishing these diamonds has just made me happy to be back from vacation....
Now I know how a soldier of the Old Guard felt when Napoleon returned from exile 8-)
Biondo, best back from Egypt.....we are gonna need more than 100 days :roll:
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

great news - cant wait.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Hey, Great News.

Welcome back, Norb and Team.

Reb - Great to see that you are still active on the site.
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Davinci wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:48 pm Hey, Great News.

Welcome back, Norb and Team.

Reb - Great to see that you are still active on the site.
And welcome back D

As you'll see, the site is in a rebuilding phase yet again. At least by your signing in, the registration glitch is fixed that previously blocked you out. Looking forward to your interactions and map expertise. I'll be picking your brain soon. Image
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Puntalancero
Reactions:

Post by Puntalancero »

Greetings from Spain, from Punta de Lanza Forum,

A pleasant surprise to see what looked like a majestic corpse from the wargames blink again.

I'm using a translator, so I'll be concise with what I think might be a successful roadmap,

1) Simplify the forum. Or use a clearer broadcast channel to bring the news of this renaissance to the players. (With the announcement of Siltherine on Steam, it was shown that there is a community behind the SoW) Wherever you publish news or content, do it with a brand identity that identifies this rebirth. A logo as a watermark in the images you publish. A banner in the forum. A skin and forum icons that define the context of the game. People must feel that SoW returns and that it returns repowered.

Check this out: http://www.grandtactician.com/thecivilwar/index.html

(It is clear that it is another league, but as a reference it serves)

2) The best asset of the game is the multiplayer. It is the beacon that keeps the community alive. Optimize it. Many have walked away or are watching from the sidelines for things that in 2022 are hardly explainable:

2.1 Unreliability when there are many human players in the game. The famous microsecond cuts. Today almost everyone has fiber optic connections. It is unjustifiable. Fix this. It is not creating anything from scratch. A patch with this novelty would multiply the active players in each community. This will generate a movement (battles, campaigns with homemade rules organized in different forums) that will attract glances from those who do not have the game. Potential buyers.

2.2 The graphic chapter. Optimize it. The PCs of today (and even those of 2015) should not resign themselves to moving the graphics engine with a low frame rate. Playing with all the sprites has to be something doable. This is applicable for multiplayer and solo play. I don't think the SoW should fight to improve graphically. Cosmetic fixes. These videos can mark a good reference: fluid development, vegetation in movement, landscape more populated with plant and physical elements. (It goes overboard with the yellow light, I think)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i90sKmFinmk

3) This game 19th century military command simulator has loyal fans. Some of them with remarkable technical knowledge and editing expertise. Hear them. Surrender to them. Too many one-man orchestra in wargame software. Too many unfinished projects. Many of us do not want to see that with what seems like the second birth of the SoW saga.

P. S: A very cheap way in terms of time and resources to demonstrate that a substantive change is underway: put the menus in high resolution, with the Napoleonic-themed paintings in all their splendor.
Accompany this with some of the optimizations mentioned: function and form that together would not go unnoticed in the bustling Steam souk.

Saludos,
Last edited by Puntalancero on Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chevauleger
Reactions:

Post by Chevauleger »

I appreciate you will be feeding development reports to this forum when you feel it is appropriate, but will you be seeking suggestions from players in the meantime?

I have no coding expertise. If I did, I would be volunteering mods myself. If I did have the expertise, my focus would be entirely on the historical simulation. I would be reviewing at least the following:

1. Accidental interpenetration of friendly units: Historically this would only occur in exceptional circumstances, and would be disastrous if the enemy was in close proximity.

2. Artillery shooting through (or, in practical terms, at) friendly units: Typically, SoW allows artillery to shoot through a friendly skirmish screen. Historically, this would only only occur accidentally. Since the SoW engine already identifies target units in the line of fire it should be a straightforward fix to deny shooting capability in certain circumstances.

3. Regulating units: This would be a refinement of the existing multi-unit movement function. Historically, multiple units (battalions within a brigade, brigades within a division, divisions within a corps) would move in accordance with a regulating unit. For example, at brigade level, the brigade officer would move to a selected battalion, issue the movement order and the remaining battalions would move in conformance.

Apologies to the team if these points have been raised before.

Very best of luck to Norb and your team of internal and external developers!
anvil
Reactions:

Post by anvil »

Awesome!
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

I would like to echo one of the points made by Puntalancero. The lack of stability in MP for both GB and Waterloo.

IMHO it is this which has driven so many keen players away over the years. Most still really like both games, but don't want to invest an evening only to find that the whole thing is aborted.

At least with Waterloo, there is now a means of restarting in MP, but it's a bit convoluted, and only the dedicated want to do that (occasionally multiple times).

I know several old-timers (plus my sons!) who would return to the game if this can be addressed.

So pleased that you and the team are back in harness, Norb. The games are still great, and knock socks off anything else out there.

Martin J
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

'Bout bloody time brother. Looking forward to possibly getting back to work!

regards

JC
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

RebBugler wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:38 am Looking forward to what comes next, with Norb at the helm. Image

Randy

P.S. Folks, be patient with this new website, I'm presently fixing links and it will take weeks to get most of my posts linked properly again. I've requested that attachments also be addressed, they'll need to be migrated from the old to the new website by a website manager. I've posted 617 attachments, an impossible task for an old fart like me to manually reinstate. :(
You again?! ....... I thought for certain some yank would have carpet-bagged you by now! :lol: ..... great having you around Randy.

ye old Sarge
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'