Scourge of War Update

Threads discussing NSD news items from the front page.
DistraughtBanana
Reactions:

Re: Scourge of War Update

Post by DistraughtBanana »

So glad you're working on the series again!

Are there any plans to add to the sandbox campaign? Meaningful engagements would add so much in terms of the single-player experience (at least for me, personally :mrgreen: )
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Map scale and unit size in SoW 2.0

Good to hear you're working on a revamp of the game. It would be helpful to know what your plans are in respect of the above matters as these will impact on map-making going forward.

Scale - I've read differing opinions on the current map scale in both SowGB & SoWWL. Mark T (and Reb, I believe) have indicated that the true scale of the maps should be 6 miles by 6 miles (based on a standard size map), rather than 5 miles. See Mark T's post on this (apologies in advance if I misunderstood the points made). Will the map scale be adjusted in the new game(s)?

Unit size - Both Reb's True Ground mod for SoWGB and the KS mod for SoWWL reduced the scale/height of the sprites in the game (by approx 1/3rd, I believe). Unfortunately, this meant that many of the existing maps had over-sized 3D obects and terrain sprites. Whilst the latter could be adjusted fairly easily, the former needed adjusting manually using the modding tools. This is time consuming to say the least, so many maps remain unchanged.

I appreciate that TG & KS are mods rather than official projects, so the decision to resize wasn't NSDs, but it would be helpful to know what your plans are in regard to unit sizes in SoW 2.0 so that any maps produced by modders after the new games release, are scaled correctly.

Good luck on the new build. ;) 8-)
MarkT
Reactions:

Post by MarkT »

Crikey,
Long time...... please PM me :) I no longer have your email address....
As you are a mapper, and others have the maps, clarification in needed.
To go with the 6m, 9m, 12m, 15m, etc maps, you must make sure that in the map.ini file containing the [map scale = 30] is changed to [map scale = 25]. This is a recent discovery and brings all to the correct scale. it was slightly off. So actually, different scales can be used 5m with the 30 scale, and 6 mile with the 25 scale. BUT we are going 6 mile on the same footprint.

In Napoleonic's, there will be some big maps for big battles.
Couple this with a new rifle range chart, and all will fit very nicely. The Naps are ok, The CW is lacking.

The mods you mentioned cannot be adopted as for the reasons you mentioned AND we cannot and will NOT RETROFIT old games and mods to another system scale. Both will work here.

Idealistically, the above "conversion" would work, but the correct reduction would have to be to the correct scale, (which it was not), and as you said a LOT of work to reproduce all spats, sprites, building stuff, as well as the entire combat and mechanics of the game would be a nightmare.
They are just Mods, not official. And, you would need to know what you are doing.

In fairness, the map scale Idea was discovered by John (Wrangler), I verified it, and Eric drew the first maps for TC2M.
Once I left Norbsoft, I had been running with it, and using my civil engineering skills to develop standards and technique. Randy has just tried to modify it.

Mark
Mark S. Tewes
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Thanks Mark

Helpful.

I'll PM you my details ;)
voltigeur
Reactions:

Post by voltigeur »

it's probably been mentioned, but it may be advantageous to have some content ready when the Napoleon movie is released later in the year.
Theironbrigade
Reactions:

Post by Theironbrigade »

norb wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:03 am I agree it would be fair, but I don't like making promises I am not sure I can keep.Right now there are some life issues with a few of the team and it's tough to have dates. I would love to get a prerelease version out this year. We are working towards that but we cannot make promises because we still have to hold our full time jobs and deal with life. It's not an excuse, but it really is the reason.
Norb, I respect your position and I understand that life can create obstacles. Now, that you are disbanded from Matrix, you can concentrate on a release date that is comfortable with your team and yourself. I am certain that people can wait patiently. If not then it is their loss. I prefer a game that is brainstormed, tested, and then distributed for purchase.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Thank you. We are doing a push to get the steam store page up right now. Then we'll probably do an early access release. We plan on working on this game for a long time now. We all did something really cool when we were younger and had more energy. Now we can make it as perfect as possible. We've already made some great changes and more will come. I hope someday to upgrade the engine, but it's a big project to take on and I need to focus on smaller fixes. Steam MP is my main project right now. Thanks for the support.
TimTim
Reactions:

Post by TimTim »

norb wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:14 am Thank you. We are doing a push to get the steam store page up right now. Then we'll probably do an early access release. We plan on working on this game for a long time now. We all did something really cool when we were younger and had more energy. Now we can make it as perfect as possible. We've already made some great changes and more will come. I hope someday to upgrade the engine, but it's a big project to take on and I need to focus on smaller fixes. Steam MP is my main project right now. Thanks for the support.
More quality, more time, seems legit ahah.

You guys are doing suych a good job, we are all waiting for that game to come back. And I think the day you'll announce the officiel release, will be an awesome day.

Good luck !
Actual Firefighter

Reenactor as Voltigeur in the 79e RI

Image Former French AF Soldier Image

ImageTranslator EN-FR Image
Theironbrigade
Reactions:

Post by Theironbrigade »

norb wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:14 am
Thank you. We are doing a push to get the steam store page up right now.
That is an excellent selection to run the game.
Then we'll probably do an early access release.
I am excited about the prerelease.
We plan on working on this game for a long time now. We all did something really cool when we were younger and had more energy.

You all manufactured a wonderful game and thank you for returning.
Now we can make it as perfect as possible. We've already made some great changes and more will come.

Polishing the game is something I predicted and I am happy this has finally come.
I hope someday to upgrade the engine, but it's a big project to take on
It is a gigantic project, however, I recommend the unreal engine https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US.
I need to focus on smaller fixes.
Progression is about sequence and not speed.
Steam MP is my main project right now. Thanks for the support.
I understand, and you are welcome for the support. Thank you for undergoing this renovation of Scourge Of War.
Last edited by Theironbrigade on Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Felixmurat
Reactions:

Post by Felixmurat »

norb wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:14 am Thank you. We are doing a push to get the steam store page up right now. Then we'll probably do an early access release. We plan on working on this game for a long time now. We all did something really cool when we were younger and had more energy. Now we can make it as perfect as possible. We've already made some great changes and more will come. I hope someday to upgrade the engine, but it's a big project to take on and I need to focus on smaller fixes. Steam MP is my main project right now. Thanks for the support.
Looking forward to that Steam Page! Sadly, I haven't had the pleasure of purchasing and experiencing the earlier release of SOW, but you can count on my long-standing interest in this project.