Scourge of War Update

Threads discussing NSD news items from the front page.
norb
Reactions:

Re: Scourge of War Update

Post by norb »

Tried to find an extension with the thank you button, but it's not working.

I've had issues with the php email, it's just not working all the time, it's odd.

I have to manually figure out a way to move and rename all the 4k attachments. There's too much good info to lose.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Looking forward to what comes next, with Norb at the helm. Image

Randy

P.S. Folks, be patient with this new website, I'm presently fixing links and it will take weeks to get most of my posts linked properly again. I've requested that attachments also be addressed, they'll need to be migrated from the old to the new website by a website manager. I've posted 617 attachments, an impossible task for an old fart like me to manually reinstate. :(
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

That's one of our major issues that I'm the only one versed in jack of all trades coding. We've got the absolute best team when it comes to our games content, but I was always the bottleneck in that I was the sole coder. Now Davide has actually been working on the code base for a few years now and he did the AI dll. So I am really hoping that what he comes up with is amazing. But that's something in the future. Right now we want to rerelease the games at a fair price with lots of good upgrades and fixes. That's the goal here. Keep working on the games and make enough to pay the bills. It's been an absolute honor that we've been able to keep sending checks to the rest of the team for their contributions.
voltigeur
Reactions:

Post by voltigeur »

this is AMAZING news! VERY exciting! Go team!
r59
Reactions:

Post by r59 »

If you need some more workforce with the coding/bugfixing/polishing tasks of WL, you know you can count on me. I've been spending a considerable amount of time to reach a complete understanding of the game exe internals during the last 7 years, and this is what I achieved since 1 or 2 at least. I also have formulated and implemented a number of solutions for some of the problems I faced during this long, a bit crazy but super enriching trip. Learnt so much and had tons of fun... Actually I'm finalizing the replacement of the current restartmp system with checksum tests and host save file sharing in place, UI selectors, separation of global game state data from local one (courier msgs text as instance), etc. I'm looking forward to stuff like rejoinmp at a later stage. So, at this point I honestly think I don't even need access to the codebase to be of some help... Just know that. In any case, I'm gonna play and support these unique gems as best as I can and forever. Being a simple player, as a sort of shrouded modder or any other role. That's out of discussion. Good luck again to all the team. Nicolò.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Thank you, I'll keep you in mind. It's really not the game as much as the site. I still have to fix the attachments. Although I'd be interested in items exterior to the game code, or requests to make your 'modding' easier. I do plan on removing most of the protections that I had in place so that it's much easier to 'hack'. This is going to break compatibility, so we're going to have to make sure that is very clear.
r59
Reactions:

Post by r59 »

Sorry Norb, I'm a total disaster when it comes to web development!
I'd just end up being a threat for the very existence of the forum.
So let's not temp fate too much. :lol:
I'd certainly have better luck at broadcasting to the moon every single attachment split into zlibed chunks through your game eAct*Files packets system and RakNet however! :D
Seriously, thanks for your efforts to try fixing this thing.
r59
Reactions:

Post by r59 »

norb wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:51 pm I do plan on removing most of the protections that I had in place so that it's much easier to 'hack'.
It's only my opinion, but that's not worth your time. And in any case it would not make any real difference for me either. The list of things that would ideally require your attention is already quite daunting on It's own. Some of them really important, others less critical but still subtle and widespreaded. Might I tell you the most recent that popped up yesterday? Not tested yet, but it looks like host files that are split into more than 256 chunks (x 1150 bytes) aren't correctly mirrored on the client's scenario folder. This is due to a byte limits overflow in the packet chunkIndex field when it is assigned the 32-bits integer loop counter variable. Client side, the memfile object is destroyed and content is erased every time the byte is zero. Hence also the 0x100th, 0x200th, 0x300th, ... fall into that case. Super marginal and easy to fix. But I have fall upon so many of these situations that a life wouldnt be enough to catch them all... Set your priorities carefully, that is the only and best advice I can give. Have a nice day everyone.
Last edited by r59 on Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Biondo
Reactions:

Post by Biondo »

norb wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:17 am After taking a few years off, we are back looking at the games and what can be done to make them better. The games will no longer be for sale for the 'hopefully' short term. NSD has parted ways with Slitherine and thanks them for the many years of support.
Now I know how a soldier of the Old Guard felt when Napoleon returned from exile 8-)

Great news Norb!
pag
Reactions:

Post by pag »

Fantastic news :D