Using Mods with 'Steam' Games Question

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Using Mods with 'Steam' Games Question

Post by RebBugler »

Could someone please explain how mods are included and used with 'Steam' purchased games?
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
DarkRob
Reactions:

Re: Using Mods with 'Steam' Games Question

Post by DarkRob »

RebBugler wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:24 pm Could someone please explain how mods are included and used with 'Steam' purchased games?
So generally there are two primary ways to mod games on Steam. The first is the Steam Workshop, and this is the easiest way. Basically if you go into the steam workshop for any given game and find a mod you want, all you have to do is subscribe to it.

The 2nd way is a site called Nexusmods https://www.nexusmods.com/
This has nothing to do with Steam, but has many many more interesting mods than the workshop. However, they can be trickier to get running because they aren't integrated with Steam the way the workshop is.
Usually it's not a big deal, most of the time you just need a mod manager(I think nexus even has their own) and a little time and experience at using the mod manager.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Hey Rob,
Thanks for the info, this is a whole new experience for me since I've never used a Steam-based game before. I've attempted to figure out the Workshop procedure but I'm still clueless on how to upload a mod (the Grog Toolbar) to Steam to make it available to subscribe to. Any ideas on how this process works? The NSD team is presently testing a Beta version of 'SOWWL x64' through Steam and I'm trying to figure things out without bugging Norb ... he's presently deep into the coding transition to Steam.
52ndOx
Reactions:

Post by 52ndOx »

SOW: Waterloo is delisted on Steam so no workshop functionality is available for the game.
The Grog toolbar can be downloaded from the very first post in this thread viewtopic.php?t=68686

It can then be activated using the in game mod manager like any other.

Sorry, it looks like this is not what was asked. Disregard.

The only way I have uploaded mods to Steam has been using the target games own editor which has an upload feature. But this obviously requires that the game devs have included such an editor.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

RebBugler wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:27 pm Hey Rob,
Thanks for the info, this is a whole new experience for me since I've never used a Steam-based game before. I've attempted to figure out the Workshop procedure but I'm still clueless on how to upload a mod (the Grog Toolbar) to Steam to make it available to subscribe to. Any ideas on how this process works? The NSD team is presently testing a Beta version of 'SOWWL x64' through Steam and I'm trying to figure things out without bugging Norb ... he's presently deep into the coding transition to Steam.
Ox nailed it in the post above. Because SOW is delisted, there is no workshop for it. As soon as the new version is listed on steam you will again be able to use the workshop.

For now, Nexusmods or even mod.io is the way to go because they aren't tied to steam. It's a little trickier on the user end because you need a mod manager, but for now it's pretty much all we got.

Or, of course you could keep doing it the way you've always done it and just posting it here. If it's still just a mod for the old game, that is.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Thanks Guys,
Yeah, gotta wait until the new SOW x64 version is officially listed within Steam in order to check out the Workshop capabilities. Hopefully the Steam Workshop will accommodate (prioritizing) and provide access to all present SOW mods, both in WL and GB. Not to mention -- future mods. And, that we can edit mods externally and then easily replace them within the Workshop via uploads.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

With your team access you should be able to look through dev information on the workshop.