William R. Clyburn - Union Spy

Little Powell
Reactions:

William R. Clyburn - Union Spy

Post by Little Powell »

So I was looking through my family tree from my dads side, and I found out that my great (not sure how many greats) grandfather was a Union spy during the Civil War. Here's a brief history of his service:

William was called out with Jennison (I assume this was Col. Charles R. Jennison from "Jennison's Jayhawks") in his Missourri raid in 1862 during the Civil War. He served in the militia in 1864 under H. Coffoein. Another report by John W. Bryant of LaPorte County says he was a spy for the United States Government and "rendered valuable service. Neither his family nor any of his neighbors knew where he was or what he was doing. He would mount his horse and ride away, often would be gone for Months."

I was a little disappointed to learn that I come from a dang Billy Yank (especially a pretty important one), but hey it's still pretty cool.. :laugh:
Amish John
Reactions:

Re:William R. Clyburn - Union Spy

Post by Amish John »

Yeah, it's always interesting to learn about one's ancestors who fought in the "War of the Rebellion". I wonder if his military/pension records are in the National Archives? I was able to get the records of my ancestor Isaac Talley who was with the 3rd Iowa cavalry.
Last edited by Amish John on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Amish John wrote:
I wonder if his military/pension records are in the National Archives?
Yeah, I'd be interested to find out if they are. I've already searched on a couple sites, and haven't found any records of him. A couple people by the same name, but they were Confederate or in different states other than Missourri, so they couln't have been correct. The information in my family tree is supposedly very accurate, so I'm not sure why I haven't been able to find anything online. Maybe it's because he was a Spy, so he wasn't supposed to exist.. :laugh:
Gfran64
Reactions:

Post by Gfran64 »

I have been told that one of my Great Great ? Uncles deserted his PA Volunteer unit. Apparently the whiskey was not to his liking.

Greg B)
Armchair General
Reactions:

Post by Armchair General »

Sometime in my life I want to find out what happened to my ancestor's Kearny Cross after he was killed at Gettysburg. But I remember when my aunt showed me a list of ancestors who had fought in the war, it gave me the chills.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Wow LP, that is very interesting !!

Well, now that he was a spy for the Union, you will have to change your flag in your Avatar to Stars & Stripes !!!! ;) ;)

You guys are lucky to be able to trace back to the 1860's, my Grandparents didn't get here from Italy until the 1900's...

It would be cool to find an ancestor that was in the Civil War !!

:cheer:

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
Gfran64
Reactions:

Post by Gfran64 »

Even one that ran away?

Greg B)
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Chamberlain wrote:
Wow LP, that is very interesting !!

Well, now that he was a spy for the Union, you will have to change your flag in your Avatar to Stars & Stripes !!!! ;) ;)

Chamberlain
There has to be a Reb somewhere in my family tree.. I mean, look at my son.. :laugh:

Last edited by Little Powell on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.