Commander Casualties

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
guitarmandanga
Reactions:

Commander Casualties

Post by guitarmandanga »

Nice job on the video! Looks great! Looks like you even have the infamous
Railroad Cut in there!

A question about commander casualties:

In TC2M, a commander could only be killed if his sprite physically contacted an enemy unit.

Will War3DII work the same way? Or will there be coding for the possibility that a commander might be hit by a sharpshooter's bullet (Reynolds) or a stray artillery round/fragment (Pender)?

My guess is that this sort of calculation would be vexing to program, but I was
curious anyway.
norb
Reactions:

Re:Commander Casualties

Post by norb »

To be honest, this issue has not hit our radar yet. The big problem we face is our commander's constantly pulling a Kevin Costner in "Dances with Wolves". I'm not sure if the designers will add this in our not, but I would guess not. As it would be very low on the list of things to finish before release.
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

You should make it so when commanders die they die they fall off there horse in different ways.
1. While the commander is galloping and he gets shot he topples off his horse and his horse goes a ways before it stops.
2. When the commander is walking and gets shot he slide off his horse and the horse stops.
3. When the commander is standing still and gets shot he does a general Renolds from Gettysburg and sits there for a moment them falls off.
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Had to laugh when I read this post! I spent the entire summer in SD working on this film almost 2 decades ago. I was hired to drill the Confederates in Heavy Infantry Tactics (used Gilham's) and picked out the eight men who were to fire. Costner was about 30 yards from the rail fence when they "fired"...and you should have heard the groans from the Confederate lines when they all missed. Undoubtedly, the booing had to be edited.

Thanks for the memory!

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Kerflumoxed wrote:
Had to laugh when I read this post! I spent the entire summer in SD working on this film almost 2 decades ago. I was hired to drill the Confederates in Heavy Infantry Tactics (used Gilham's) and picked out the eight men who were to fire. Costner was about 30 yards from the rail fence when they "fired"...and you should have heard the groans from the Confederate lines when they all missed. Undoubtedly, the booing had to be edited.

Thanks for the memory!

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Yeah, I think there was intense music being played at that part, no booing.. lol

Cool story though, and it's neat that you were a part of the movie. One of my favorite flix of all time. :)