Anyone know more about this?

Armchair General
Reactions:

Anyone know more about this?

Post by Armchair General »

I was skimming through the book 'The Bloody Crucible of Courage: Fighting Methods and Combat Experience of the Civil War' and there's a section about guerrilla warfare. The author focuses more on Confederate activity and this is part of it: "Not content to raise troops and gather provisions, the guerrillas immediacy;y began rob and murder any "Union men" them tumbled upon. Houses were occasionally set ablaze yo chase Union families out of the area. One guerrilla leader even went to the unheard-extreme of shooting the wives of two local men who brashly decided to take arms for the Union Cause. "

I looked up the wife shooting incident but came up with nothing, and it's not mentioned in the bibliography of the book. Anyone remember coming across something like this?
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.
bedbug
Reactions:

Re:Anyone know more about this?

Post by bedbug »

" The Inside War; The Guerrilla Conflict In Missouri During The American Civil War" by Michael Fellman documents thousands of incidents like this.
There is another book which covers the more famouse incidents like Lawrence and the slaugter of unarmed Union troops who were going home on a train. I've forgotten its name however, but if you're into really grusome acts and what hatered will do to humans search out books on the Kansas-Missouri part of the war.

Not very Clint Eastwoodish. :laugh:
Last edited by bedbug on Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

I don't like Guerrilla warfare I don't care for it and it only makes me mad what it does.
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House
Armchair General
Reactions:

Post by Armchair General »

Joshua l.Chamberlain wrote:
I don't like Guerrilla warfare I don't care for it and it only makes me mad what it does.
I too don't think very highly of Guerrilla Warfare, at least not unrestrained. Behind the lines, cutting some telegraph lines is not a problem, but things like the ransacking of Lawrence is just barbaric. But I'm writing a book, and one of the characters is in a guerrilla band, so I'm trying to find whatever I can about it. Definitely a change from the open-field engagements that I've been writing about.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

There you go that's me open field engagements I always imagined myself in command of a regiment sitting on a horse giving orders to my men but then when I place myself at Gettysburg I think maybe riding on a horse is not the best idea.
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House