Kennesaw Mtn. Battlefield

Ephrum
Reactions:

Kennesaw Mtn. Battlefield

Post by Ephrum »

I'm heading down to Georgia next week to visit my cousin, who lives near the Kennesaw Mtn Battlefield, which we intend to visit.

Has anyone here ever been to that site? If so, can you tell me if there's much left of the Battlefield?
Specifically the "Dead Angle" that Sam Watkins wrote of in his memoirs?
OHIO UNIVERSITY
Ephrum
Reactions:

Re:Kennesaw Mtn. Battlefield

Post by Ephrum »

How about Chickamauga then?

Anybody?
OHIO UNIVERSITY
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Yep, been to Chickamauga...did a living history there in Oct. 2007. Great site to visit with lots of monuments and interpretive plaques. Certainly worth the visit.
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
louie raider
Reactions:

Post by louie raider »

Ephrum wrote:
I'm heading down to Georgia next week to visit my cousin, who lives near the Kennesaw Mtn Battlefield, which we intend to visit.

Has anyone here ever been to that site? If so, can you tell me if there's much left of the Battlefield?
Specifically the "Dead Angle" that Sam Watkins wrote of in his memoirs?
quite a lot left there, definitely worth seeing. very powerful!
this space for rent
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

Thank you Kerflumoxed and Louie Raider, I really appreciate your reply's. B)

Kerflumoxed, what exactly is a, Living History?
OHIO UNIVERSITY
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Ephrum wrote:
Thank you Kerflumoxed and Louie Raider, I really appreciate your reply's. B)

Kerflumoxed, what exactly is a, Living History?
Well, how much time do you have? :laugh:

If you ask 100 people who participate in the hobby, you will probably receive 100 answers! Essentially, it is the portrayal of a historical personage or group of people with the intent to experience and demonstrate profiency of the time period, emphasizing historical accuracy. Perhaps, an example might be easier to explain and/or understand.

At Chickamauga, the National Park Service sponsored a Living History Day on the battlefield. Approxiamtely 100 Living Historians, plus two horse-drawn guns participated. The infantry was divided into two companies with the company I served with representing the 7th South carolina Infantry, Longstreet's Corp and the other company from the western army (I forget their designation.)

Several months prior to the demonstration, Jerry Stiles of South Carolina (and at the Sunken Road this morning at Sharpsburg!) researched the 7th including tactics, battlefield location, uniforming, et.al. For example, during his research, he learned that the 7th was issued new uniforms either just prior to their move from Virginia to Georgia or during the passage through Richmond (the Richmond Clothing Depot). According to surviving records, both official and anecdotal, he learned that new jackets (known as Richmond Depot Type II in modern parlance) of "English Cloth" (aka Cadet Grey) and Englis import trousers of a royal blue were the type issued. Accordingly, as we prepared for "our movemet" to Chickamauga, each member of the reoonstitured 7th SC purchased, made, or borrowed the appropriate uniform items.

Further guidelines such as weapon type, packs vs. blanket-rolls, shoes, blankets, "covers" (hats), food, etc., were prepared in conjunction with the desires of the NPS and the historical evidence available, were published for the participants. Even the wrappers on the cartridges were duplicated....Richmond Depot wrappers for the ANV force and Georgia Arsenal wrappers for the AoT.

During the weekend, various activities were offered for the public such as firings, drill, etc. with explanations offered by the NPS Rangers. Part of Friday night (after dark) was spent marching to an unknown bivouac site and "sleeping under the stars." Saturday morning brought the issue of a few rations (a slab of beef and someone's production of an original corn-meal bread recipe and coffee) followed by a short refresher course on Skirmish Drill for our company. About mid-morning, we were "ordered out" and march a mile or two to the first demonstration ground. The rest of the weekend continued in the same vein with Saturday night's bivouac on Snodgrass Hill.

Now, these types of activities are not to be confused by "reenactments" where one "army" pitches into the other "army." The latter types of events, on a scale of 1 to 10 range from 1 - 5 or 6 but may include an "authentic" company such as I have described as well. I am sure there are others on this board who can provide more detailed information as well.

Before going, take some time to Google Chickamauga and Snodgrass Hill as a primer for your visit. And as you run across the battlefield, don't forget your Rebel Yell :woohoo: !!!

Incidentally, my "signature" is a quote from Joseph B. Polley who fought at Chickamauga and refers to the action he witnessed at the battle.

Have fun...I am envious!
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

Thank you for the insight Kerflumoxed.

That was easy to understand. And Living History sounds like it would be fun in it's own respect. I've never participated in an event like that, or re-enacting.
The Historical accuracy is obviously the main enjoyment for yourself and the other participants, and I can appreciate that. If your going to do it, do it right.

I'm actually pretty excited about the trip. It'll be the first ACW Battlefield for me, and I can't wait.
The Battlefield I want to visit the most is Antietam.
OHIO UNIVERSITY
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

I plan to reenact in a few years once my leg is healed up enough then I will attempt it.
That sounds really cool Kerflumoxed I saw a American Revolution living history but it only had 10 people but I got alot of info from it.
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House
Armchair General
Reactions:

Post by Armchair General »

Ephrum wrote:

I'm actually pretty excited about the trip. It'll be the first ACW Battlefield for me, and I can't wait.
The silence of it all is amazing. It was hard to imagine some of the war's bloodiest fighting at some places, especially at Burnside's Bridge.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Ephrum wrote:

That was easy to understand. And Living History sounds like it would be fun in it's own respect. I've never participated in an event like that, or re-enacting.
The Historical accuracy is obviously the main enjoyment for yourself and the other participants, and I can appreciate that. If your going to do it, do it right.

Too bad you couldn't get to Sharpsburg (Antietam) this weekend. Jerry Stiles put together a LH demonstration for the NPS. I'm sure there will be some kind of AAR on this website:

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/

In fact, you might find this a great website for becoming involved in Living History. Just be careful in selecting a unit to join! :lol: The quality of units varies greatly.

Out of curiosity, where are you located? I have met a lot of people around the country and may be able to put you (or anyone else that may be interested) in touch with some very sound living historians.
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]