System Specs' question

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
Ephrum
Reactions:

System Specs' question

Post by Ephrum »

In reading the list of recommened computer system specs', I didn't see anything about Processor speed.
What speed would you guys recommend?

I'm a novice with computers, so if that was a dumb question, you'll have to forgive me.
OHIO UNIVERSITY
estabu2
Reactions:

Re: System Specs' question

Post by estabu2 »

Any kind of Dual Core processor should do. I am not sure about single core procs, but JC might test on a single core(not sure though). If it is single core I would think you would need a 3.0ghz. I think LP runs a 2.0 DC and he gets just about the same performance as I do with a 3.0 DC. A big thing with this game is RAM, get LOTS of it.

Those are just my estimations, not really sure how low the setting can go. Maybe I should try loading it onto my 1.6 single core, 512 MB laptop? That would probably get a good workout.
Last edited by estabu2 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Re:System Specs' question

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Ephrum wrote:
In reading the list of recommened computer system specs', I didn't see anything about Processor speed.
What speed would you guys recommend?

I'm a novice with computers, so if that was a dumb question, you'll have to forgive me.
If you are only a novice, I have you beat! I am just plain computer illiterate! :laugh: For example, I have successfully downloaded CMP3 for TC2M and can play the game which is thoroughly enjoyable. BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, can't follow the directions for the using the new keyboard! :woohoo: Still, I am enjoying what I have and thankful for that! :)
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Ephrum
Reactions:

Re: System Specs' question

Post by Ephrum »

estabu2 wrote:
Any kind of Dual Core processor should do. I am not sure about single core procs, but JC might test on a single core(not sure though). If it is single core I would think you would need a 3.0ghz. I think LP runs a 2.0 DC and he gets just about the same performance as I do with a 3.0 DC. A big thing with this game is RAM, get LOTS of it.

Those are just my estimations, not really sure how low the setting can go. Maybe I should try loading it onto my 1.6 single core, 512 MB laptop? That would probably get a good workout.
Thanks estabu!
That's good to know. I'm always learning something new on the Forum.
I won't be going for the minimum requirements because I want all the bells and whistles of the new game!

The System Specs also suggests a seperate Video Card, should not be on board, but seperate, no shared memory.
...should not be on board...is this refering to the Motherboard?

The reason I'm asking is, I want to use the same computer for TC2M as well as the New Game. Will that be possible, or is that more than I should try to put on the same computer?

Kerflumoxed- I know how you feel! I haven't even scratched the surface of what can be done with TC2M!
OHIO UNIVERSITY
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

What about a quad core. :cheer:
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House
estabu2
Reactions:

Post by estabu2 »

Quad Cores are always good!!!:) Yes, you need to get a video card from ATI or NVidia, it should not be video from your motherboard.
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

estabu2 wrote:
Quad Cores are always good!!!:) Yes, you need to get a video card from ATI or NVidia, it should not be video from your motherboard.
Unless you have a laptop, when your only choice is on board video. I run the game on a laptop that has 512MB on board card, and it runs great. I do have 3 gigs of ram though and dual 2.0 CPU's, so that helps. :)
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

Thanks very much estabu and Little Powell!
OHIO UNIVERSITY
Flanyboy
Reactions:

Post by Flanyboy »

So am I right in assuming I will need a new computer?

My laptop is 4 years old and its specs are as follows...

1.73 GHZ Dual Core
1.5 GB RAM
128 MB Integrated Video Card?

:angry:

I know I will most likely need a new computer. The Video Card on laptops always seems to be the downfall but I am a poor college student and probably wont have money for a new compy for at least 6 months... that's assuming I find a job upon graduation in may. :(
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

I would up the ram and the card, the chip should be ok.

I would just try the demo. Then you can see if you can play with all the options turn down. You might be able to.