Chickamauga

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Chickamauga

Post by RebBugler »

Update, new scenario:
Unzip and copy to the scenarios folder
The attachment CHI10-TheFinaleAfternoonofthe20thU-Army.zip is no longer available
Put on your DEFEND hats Yankee Generals, because that's what you're gonna do, or perish. Spent a lot of unexpected time scripting the historic attack waves along Horseshoe Ridge with lots of surge forward and then fallback sequences. Had to or else I found that the Rebels under AI control would sweep the ridge in less than an hour. Even with these and other restraints on the enemy, this is still a very tough scenario. I barely managed a Draw (14000 points) with my best test effort to date, but I know it can be beat with better troop shuffling, and that's key to winning this one. So, Yank Generals, as challenged in the Intro:
Hold out to the end, get a Major Victory, and become the latest: "Rock of Chickamauga".

To stay on track historically a successful escape sequence would be standard for this scenario. However, considering the Army of the Cumberland's primary mission was to seek out and destroy the Army of the Tennessee, I don't see how a general retreat, no matter how successful, could ever merit a Major Victory. So, consider this scenario an historical what if: What If the Union Army stood it's ground till dark, dished out more than it received, and didn't suffer the losses resulting from the frantic 'retreating escape' that historically occurred into the night? That would merit a Major Victory in my eyes.

This concludes the battle but not this scenario series; two FULL FINAL DAY unbridled scenarios coming soon.

Main download updated through this scenario, first post.

FYI, I test all these scenarios without the carryover numbers, and for those that want to play them likewise simply adjust the pertinent line in the scenario.ini file (place a semi-colon ; in front of the 'CarryOverFrom=...' line).
If you missed it since we changed thread pages, check out Crikey's great new additions coming soon...Go to Screenshots
Attachments
CHI10-TheFinaleAfternoonofthe20thU-Army.zip
(37.61 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by RebBugler on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
MLandini
Reactions:

Post by MLandini »

RebBugler

Nice scenario - question - playing as Federals - I want to move Rosecrans to different areas of the battlefield, but he keeps reverting back to original position after a few minutes - any suggestions?

Thanks
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Jolly, the silver birch sprites look a little blurry, or is it me?
It's not you, just my imagination with a somewhat more organic approach. Still some ways to go!

David(jolly)
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

RebBugler

Nice scenario - question - playing as Federals - I want to move Rosecrans to different areas of the battlefield, but he keeps reverting back to original position after a few minutes - any suggestions?

Thanks
Thanks!

It can be easily modded out. Open the battlescript.csv file and delete the rows that start with:
evtcont, OOB_U_William_Rosecrans, altstart
They're all grouped relatively together.

Sorry about this hack on my part. The only way I could find to move the camera around the map with one click was moving ME, then moving ME back.

If you don't want to fool with modding as I proposed, consider moving around Thomas. He's just one OOB click down from Rosecrans making him a fast find.

Glad you're enjoying the scenarios.
Last edited by RebBugler on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Update, new scenario:
Unzip and copy to the scenarios folder
The attachment CHI11-FullDayFinalethe20thC-Army.zip is no longer available
Like CHI07, this scenario carries over from CHI05, giving the player another Finale option.

Yesterday I was doing some final testing and wound up getting immersed so went ahead and played it through prematurely. Well, that was all I needed to do I found out. I fell short of a major victory by 1500 points proving this one's plenty competitive since I had a big edge in knowing where the enemy forces were. I also thought that this scenario would be too long to stay interesting, but no way, I needed at least four hours to finally capture all the objectives.
I'm curious as to how long it would take 'top guns' to reach 50,000 points with this one. Maybe someone will start bragging with a screenshot showing a 50,000 points Major Victory score with less than four hours in (1:30 pm), or start the bar anywhere. (screenshot would be in game so the time is indicated with ME selected the minute the score reads 50,000) Might get an informal contest going, making for a little celebration for this soon to be completed series.

Author's Notes:
Not only is this scenario a 'What If' because the player chooses the attack sequences, it's also a 'What If' because the Union line will not be weakened by conflicting orders, it will stand firm. So don't expect it to buckle like it did in CHI07, be prepared for substantially more resistance in the center and right flank.
I think this game is great at revealing questions about this battle, like for this instance: If the Union center had remained intact as originally positioned at 11:00 AM, would the center and right flank have been able to halt and repulse the Confederate attack under Longstreet?
The next scenario (CHI12) will tell us more as the Rebels will attack historically and the Union player will try to hold that center and right flank in relatively the same time span with the resources available historically.

Main download updated through this scenario, first post.

FYI, I test all these scenarios without the carryover numbers, and for those that want to play them likewise simply adjust the pertinent line in the scenario.ini file (place a semi-colon ; in front of the 'CarryOverFrom=...' line).
Attachments
CHI11-FullDayFinalethe20thC-Army.zip
(38.88 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by RebBugler on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Thanks RB. Keep 'em coming. B)

The 2nd day map is coming along. Just need to add in a few more defensive positions for Thomas in addition to those near Kelly's field. Have also added some battle damage to some of the buildings in that area.

Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Reb/Jolly

I'll be sending through an update later today. 3 versions in all.Tried to represent where the main action took place. So....

Day 1 - minimal battle damage/some light field fortifications, e.g. at Alexander Bridge and Viniard Field, where the Lightning Brigade was involved)

Night Day 1 - for Cleburne's attack. Winfrey Field.

Day 2 - more battle damage and field fortifications, at Kelly Field etc, to represent Thomas digging in.

I've also done some extra screens and (stationary) character sprites for Bragg and Rosencrans, if wanted.

Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Last pic - the white cabin - it has a bright sunlit side and a darker side in shadow - I thought this lighting technique on buildings was only introduced with the WL engine?

I tell you what would also make this map cooler and that's a minimap done in a period style, all parchmenty colours, etc.
Last edited by Saddletank on Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Well spotted, Tank.

Can be done via Power Render. Unpacked the relevant 3D objects and changed the shading settings for the buildings. Repacked in a new Chickamauga specific package file. So, yes, they now resemble those in WL. B)

A lot of work but gives it a more realistic feel. Transparencies seem to cause problems so I've left the fences alone, merely re-textured them.

If anyone wants to have a stab at the revised mini-map, then feel free.

Am pretty wiped out after far too many days on this.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Interesting and well done on the shading.

If you've exhausted yourself it may be time to call a halt. The work so far looks great and I can't wait to try it.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.