Chickamauga

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Chickamauga

Post by RebBugler »

Chickamauga B&F OOB - Provides for additional flags and sprites

This mod depends on the Bugles&Flags mod to be enabled along with Chickamauga. It uses flags from that mod providing for better historical representation and more variety.

Additionally, the top commanders, Rosecrans and Bragg (provided by Crikey), are represented by their own personal sprites (standing mode).

Unzip and copy to the Mods folder:
Chickamauga B&F OOB.zip
(217.68 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Priority level in Modifications of the three mods must be as so for this mod to work correctly:
Bugles&Flags
Chickamauga
Chickamauga B&F OOB

Flags added from B&F include all of Longstreet's corps with Richmond Depot issues along with state flags. For the Union more regimental colors are included plus the Pennsylvania national.

The commander sprites were not otherwise combined with the Chickamauga mod so as to keep the Chickamauga mod free of files that are most likely to cause conflicts with other mods while hosting MP play, primarily, unitglobal and unitmodel.

Happy flag watching :)
Last edited by RebBugler on Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
boogabooga51
Reactions:

Post by boogabooga51 »

Hello Reb Burglar and thank you. Having played some of these, I think I have some feedback.

You have a unique mission style of giving the player Army Commander authority, but then unlocking units only as they are "needed". I find that early on, I micromanage the unlocked troops like a brigade, then a division, and so on, only exercising full authority near the end. IMHO, there is an opportunity to turn the first 20 minutes or so of many of the scenarios into brigade scenarios in their own right.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Hello Reb Burglar and thank you. Having played some of these, I think I have some feedback.

You have a unique mission style of giving the player Army Commander authority, but then unlocking units only as they are "needed". I find that early on, I micromanage the unlocked troops like a brigade, then a division, and so on, only exercising full authority near the end. IMHO, there is an opportunity to turn the first 20 minutes or so of many of the scenarios into brigade scenarios in their own right.
Not necessarily unlocking units only as they are "needed", but as they were available historically, striving to maintain the historic flow of the battle. Yeah, I saw those 30 minute brigade level scenarios, however, they wouldn't even fit with this 'Big Picture' themed series structured for the most part by half day actions.

FYI, MarkT, the designer of this map, designed 60 Chickamauga scenarios for TC2M. So the possibilities are there. He mass-marketed scenarios for years, now he's burnt out and refuses to design another. I'll stick to an occasional medium sized project from time to time, and hopefully avoid similar burn out consequences.

Thanks for the feedback :)
Last edited by RebBugler on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Some chic Chick graphical things will wing it's way in this mod for your enjoyment!

Team Chickamauga

The attachment cmgtest.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
cmgtest.jpg
cmgtest.jpg (308.96 KiB) Viewed 219 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

A Grand Update, introducing the artistry of Crikey and Jolly

Having completed the scenario carryover series last month the finalization of this project began in earnest with Crikey and I collaborating about the best historical fit for his new map modifications. Jolly came along with his terrain - icing on the cake - modifications.

Update features include:
- Map seasonable appearance changed to late summer
- Map seasonable streams are dried up, leaving barely visible impressions that still relate the same terrain properties, river bank, etc.
- Casualty retention percentage raised to 70 percent (CarryOverCasPct=70) from 40 on scenarios. This is to compensate for the game's excessive kill rates and help units exist through up to four attrition reductions.
- Many options included now, details in the Intro
Last edited by RebBugler on Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

So you're telling me I gotta download the whole thing again??!!

The Mad One
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Not if you don't want the new map, no.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

:) :) Great Job guys ! :) :)

Thank you RebBugler, Crikey and Jolly for taking the time to create this awesome Mod and keeping Gettysburg fresh and feel like new again... This Mod has brought this great game up to another level !
It's great to jump back into this game and realize how really good this game is !

I hope you guys will keep on creating new Mods and scenario packages......

;) ;)

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

So you're telling me I gotta download the whole thing again??!!

The Mad One
Great question, gives me an opportunity to elaborate some more about the changes.

Not only map changes, but troop changes also. For the 20th of September scenarios, Union troop positions are moved to better utilize the breastworks now present along the Union line. This obviously strengthens the Union defensive, changing how one plays those scenarios. The addition of the breastworks has vastly furthered this project's legitimacy towards historic realism, because, they were hastily constructed before the Rebel attacks the morning of the 20th.

To answer your question, like Tank said, no, but you're missing out on a new map. Plus, what I just added. Furthermore, there will be no issues continuing your scenario carryover progress on the new maps as ALL scenario names have remained the same.
Last edited by RebBugler on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RDBoles
Reactions:

Post by RDBoles »

Played my first game on the new map. What a treat. Thank you very much. The new mini maps are excellent they are less contrasting and easier on the eyes. BZ26V
Move Forward