Other Ports and forwarding Qs

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
Joeker
Reactions:

Other Ports and forwarding Qs

Post by Joeker »

If a couple of people are playing on a LAN connected through a wireless router/internet modem... you can "only" associate a port (for forwarding) to one internal IP.
So my Qs are:
- Does the game only use 31791 on the server/host side and the client use “any” random port or does both sides use port 31791?
- Is port 31971 hard coded into the game or can we use any ports of our choosing?
- Is port forwarding only significant when crossing over the router to the web or is it also applied by the router to LAN traffic?
- I’ve set my port forwarding to TCP and UDP …. Does this make a difference?

and one last one
- Is it possible to input port 80 into the multiplayer setup screen instead of 31791 and fool the system to use the internet port that would be already open (of course you would not want to be using the web while doing this)? This would negate the need to open ports on the router.
Cheers
ADukes
Reactions:

Re: Other Ports and forwarding Qs

Post by ADukes »

1) Just on the host side.
2) For a "connect direct to an IP" game you can choose any port you want, but I'm not sure if it is the same for lobby games. I guess you can't.
3) You don't need port forwarding in a LAN.
4) What kind of difference?

5) See #2.
norb
Reactions:

Re: Other Ports and forwarding Qs

Post by norb »

You can use any port you want. I believe that it should work even in the lobby, but I'm not sure if it's been tested.
Joeker
Reactions:

Re:Other Ports and forwarding Qs

Post by Joeker »

Thanks for the info guys
@ADukes ... the difference between using TCP and UDP or using UDP alone as the router port forwarding setting
ADukes
Reactions:

Post by ADukes »

Ah okay, then is doesn't make a difference. The important thing is that the UDP port is open.
Joeker
Reactions:

Post by Joeker »

Grand so, thanking you