A rather large score?

Had a great game? Want to write about it. These things can be very exciting, so if you want to share, post them here. The best will be reposted to the front page of the site!
Jolly
Reactions:

A rather large score?

Post by Jolly »

Got this 5 figure score for the 'what if' Jackson scenario 'Three Times is not a Charm'

I realised I was doing well, but surely not THAT well?

hehe

Davidd http://www.norbsoftdev.com/media/kunena ... ackson.jpg[/img_size]
Attachments
Jackson.jpg
Jackson.jpg (65.69 KiB) Viewed 212 times
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re:A rather large score?

Post by Little Powell »

Could be the scoring bug. I also suspect this is the case in the "Highest Score" thread. I've never seen this happen, and I've been playing this game for a year and half... Very strange. Please get us a save game of this if you can! :)
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

yes, the scoring is suspect on this scenario. I originally 'won' it with a score of 8000+ (forget the exact number), but on the high scores table it then told me I needed 10000 to win.

Anyway, a small matter as such.

I've pm'd you the last .sav I did on this leading up to making the high score.

Davidd
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

Hmm. I grabbed a score of 12K on this one, but think I could have done better with the right variant -- like AP Hill and Colston to start, with Early and DH Hill as fast reinforcements combined with a Union army that leaves the Cemetary Ridge positions undefended . . .

I've also gotten a similar score, 20635 I think, on the Sickles Stays Home scenario. That one made it fairly easy to rack up points, particularly if the Rebels chose to attack with their main force between Big Round Top and Devil's Den rather than further north.

Steve
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Major General John Sedgwick's final words, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, May 9, 1864
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Jolly wrote:
yes, the scoring is suspect on this scenario. I originally 'won' it with a score of 8000+ (forget the exact number), but on the high scores table it then told me I needed 10000 to win.

Anyway, a small matter as such.

I've pm'd you the last .sav I did on this leading up to making the high score.

Davidd
I didn't get a PM from you.
scottishsoldier
Reactions:

Post by scottishsoldier »

Well, I just got 34,300 odds on Rodes. If anyone is interested I'll describe how.

Might be a bug of course. I'm not even sure if it is possible arithmetically!

The scenarios in TC2M are a distant memory now, but these ones seem variable, which I guess is good.

Heth was difficult until you remember the gamey thing of going for the VP, and realise Davis can come in on the flank.

The Iron Brigade one was easy to win, but a major victory required early use of cold steel to clear the bigger VP, having gone to the smaller one first.

Buford seemed easy...8000odds.

Any experiences with Rodes?

Didn't seem to be a bug....400 points kept rolling in for the farm VP, and the whole union counter attack from the south routed. Disobeyed orders of course, ignored contact with Early on my left.

Early days, and I'm not sure if I'll do them all. But the scenarios have been a great way to get into the new game. I didn't like the look at first, compared to TC2M, but I'm getting used to it.
Last edited by scottishsoldier on Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
J Canuck
Reactions:

Post by J Canuck »

Well .... here I am, landing after searching for an appropriate thread in which to blow my horn. I thought my 28,682 for Rodes was impressive, until I discovered your horn is even bigger. I shouldn’t be surprised it’s you.

scottishsoldier wrote:
Well, I just got 34,300 odds on Rodes. If anyone is interested I'll describe how.
No, I’m not interested. ;) I went after the hill first, but it took me most of the battle time to capture it including an uphill fight against the counterattack.

I guess I have to say it:

CONGRATULATIONS scottishsoldier! B)

Most impressive indeed.
Gfran64
Reactions:

Post by Gfran64 »

Check this out. Very similar thing happened to me.

http://www.norbsoftdev.com/index.php?op ... 7937#17937

Regards,

Greg B)
scottishsoldier
Reactions:

Post by scottishsoldier »

J Canuck wrote:
Well .... here I am, landing after searching for an appropriate thread in which to blow my horn. I thought my 28,682 for Rodes was impressive, until I discovered your horn is even bigger. I shouldn’t be surprised it’s you.

scottishsoldier wrote:
No, I’m not interested. ;) I went after the hill first, but it took me most of the battle time to capture it including an uphill fight against the counterattack.

I guess I have to say it:

CONGRATULATIONS scottishsoldier! B)

Most impressive indeed.
J Canuck...how very pleasant to hear from you Sir!!

No one could have been as surprised as I was when I saw my final score in that one! It was the exception in my campaigne to generalship, most of the scenarios being a sore trial to my patience and a severe test of my limited tactical abilities.

Well done to you too! I bet you did it with fewer losses.

I had a big score in the Jackson fiction, but entirely ruined his Corps in doing it, and I felt far from proud at the end.

Just do enough to win, and keep your army healthy...that's the classy solution.
LoosMoose
Reactions:

Post by LoosMoose »

I just played it tonight and got a 19,011

I was on the first VP location within a few minutes of the start (division v brigade isn't too tough) and kept watching it pile up the points every minute. When it exhausted I already had Archer and Pender almost to Cemetary Hill. By the time I galloped down there, they were on the VP and I was sitting there for the rest of the game. I could have pressed harder and scored higher, so yeah, I can see playing it over I could do better on points.