A Few Questions

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
ironsight
Reactions:

Re:A Few Questions

Post by ironsight »

69th,
FWIW i agree with everything you've said. Take a uSoft, Intel, AMD for example, their marketing models in order to survive profitably in the consumer world is to obsolete their products and quickly. I seen this strategy first hand as my old company who designed and manufactured consumer telco products did just that.

As you, i also always thought uSoft should release a specialized OS designed to run games or other resource hungry applications without all the needless overhead bells and whistles.
The first thing i do after installing Windows is to fiddle around with the large amount of un-needed processes running in the background either by disabling them permanently or setting them to manual.
In the least, you'd think uSoft would incorporate performance options in standard Windows geared towards running specific types of application more efficiently.
But as you said, uSoft does what it wants to do and usually in the most complicated way possible, take that goofy registry system(from hell) of theirs for example.
A typical complaint from Windows users is that their PC slows down as time goes on or the boots slow down. One of the reasons for this are unInstalled applications and depending on the quality of the uninstall utility can and usually does leave tons of artifacts in the registry.
I regularly use a registry cleaner but have to use it carefully as they can throw the wheat out along with the chaff.
Life was much simpler in that old DOS world!
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

An update?
Hancock the Superb
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

One Percenters are outlaws, two percenters are what? I don't know, but that 98% is what I identify with and can afford. If a game get's too techno involved, many like myself would'nt be able to play it, The past games hae been alot of fun, challenging and looking forward to the next release.

Drafted in Boston
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Hoistingman Wrote: One Percenters are outlaws
I know all about 1%ers back from my old biker days !B)

I understand what you're saying but if you want to keep operating a PC and with up to date software, i think sooner or later you're going to have to update the rig.
I got a copy of ghost reconII with my MOBO and there ain't no way my old rig woulda played that game smoothly in the highest resolution setting.

Like anything else, there was a time when i was satisfied playing TC2M in low resolution. There also was a time when i didn't want to pay extra for that 'new fangled' power window option in my vehicles.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

ironsight

Hey! I gave up my kicker years aago, used to curse the buttons, hell, I feel as though I,m back on a rigid, even with vista, listening to you guys. This game thing is a drug from another world, the more you do it the more you get hooked.
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Hoistingman Wrote: Hey! I gave up my kicker years aago,
Yeah my first Harley was a kicker ONLY. :angry:
Leaving the local bar 'n grill, my buds with their fancy buttons would be waiting and watchin me sweat while #$%^&'ing at that dam kicker! :laugh:
The last jammed knee did it!:angry: Sold it and got me a new button ;)
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Amen! Welcome aboard. Bought this 2 giga vista laptop a while back, it's been OK, don't get all the bells and whistles of TC2M has to offer, without getting problems, but enough to make me forget to eat and sleep, putting off return phone calls, get alittle trigger happy, a good state of mind, my scooter is gettin rusty out in the shed. What can I say? That you don't know.

drafted in Boston, hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

For you Gentlemen that have Vista.......why not get just rid of it and install Windows XP....that way you can have all the bells, whistles, blues, greens and oranges too!;) :P
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Sorry, got sqrewed up, my machine is a XP, regardless, it's quirky with all the doda's running.
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Exactly why we don't get Vistas. There is a whole lot more hassle with them.
Hancock the Superb