Welcome New Map Team

Threads discussing NSD news items from the front page.
born2see
Reactions:

Re: Welcome New Map Team

Post by born2see »

M,

The link is not working for me.

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Mazikainen
Reactions:

Post by Mazikainen »

The url is right but I botched up the link. It works now.
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Hey Mazikainen,

Wow !!! Love it ! :)

Very...Very.. Impressive !! :)

What is the size of the table ?

Liked the way there are cards/labels for the units under their stands......

Thanks for sharing !!

Chamberlain
Last edited by Chamberlain on Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
Mazikainen
Reactions:

Post by Mazikainen »

I think the table was 160 cm * 240 cm. I didn't get as much of the field as I had hoped, but at least there's plenty of elbow room around Henry Hill to manoeuvre. I don't like wargame scenarios which enforce the historical setup so close to the enemy that the die is already cast when the players start moving. Bull Run offered a good chance to just stick to the reinforcement schedule and let players find their own lines of advance. It helped that I was the only one who had read into the battle in detail so I just smiled enigmatically as the players sent whole divisions to entirely different routes than their historical counterparts. It was effective too, as the Union won the day that time.

The figure scale is 1:20, a 10-man stand equals 200 men on the field. The groundscale is 60 yards to one inch. The unit labels denote the brigade and the command it belongs to, as well as the strength of tha brigade in x/y/z form. The x value is the starting number of stands in the brigade. When the brigade loses stands to y, it counts as "worn" and "spent" in z. So the number of stands in a brigade represents not only the number of troops still in line, but also the overall effectiveness level. Simple and quick.