Ten Mile Maps are possible.....maybe.....

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Re: Ten Mile Maps are possible.....maybe.....

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Davinci:

Make a mod specific to your ten-mile map which speeds up everything: troop movement speed, firing speed, etc.

Then it won't take as long to move from one end to the other.

I could see these larger maps being sort of like a campaign, happening at many times realtime. You move your troops around strategically, but the battles happen to fast for you to affect them significantly.

It may be interesting to make a map of the Shenandoah valley...of course it would be immense, but then you could have Jackson trying to weave his way around the valley as opponents are trying to capture him and whatnot.

Alternatively, for a little smaller map, you could use orange or culpeper counties for a stategic campaign.

If you have any interest in acquiring overlays of these maps, pm me with your email address: they are too big to put on the forum.

I hope this provides a direction to go with your outstanding maps.
Last edited by Hancock the Superb on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hancock the Superb
Gudadantza
Reactions:

Post by Gudadantza »

You are already able to speed up things in game.
If it is about multi I think it would make things a bit odd...

I see those maps to be played with the savegame feature in mind. or for create full campaigns. Great for multiple days battles and carryover, front lines etc...
Last edited by Gudadantza on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Davinci:
Make a mod specific to your ten-mile map which speeds up everything: troop movement speed, firing speed, etc.
Well, I’m just the opposite type of player , I would like to have the units separated by a days march from each other, and probably why I have always played the game with slower movement speeds.

I have just now finished converting the ELPine1 from 5 miles to 10 miles.

I had to re-do the roads after making them smaller, so I had to use a different type of texture to see them clearly.

Now, I just have to test it to see if converting the maps affects the deployment of the AI , considering that this does seem to change the coordinates of the map.

Also, as mentioned above there is a drop in the fps by two , so I might have to reduce my OOB by a single brigade to make up the difference.

Time for testing , and more testing !

My personal thoughts about this is that I think that I have found a glitch in Norbs programming that he may not be aware of!...YES !

The spacing of thirty thousand troops
The attachment 10MileMap.jpg is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
10MileMap.jpg
10MileMap.jpg (143.62 KiB) Viewed 338 times
Last edited by Davinci on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

I really like the direction you are going with this, Davinci. Many thanks for all your hard work.

Martin
Blaugrana
Reactions:

Post by Blaugrana »

Do maps have to be square?

Looking at your latest screenshot, Davinci, I could imagine a map 15 miles W-E by 10 N-S...
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Davinci:
Well, I’m just the opposite type of player , I would like to have the units separated by a days march from each other, and probably why I have always played the game with slower movement speeds.
But how could we run the game over the course of days? I was suggesting that one could collapse time to make a real-time stategic campaign...so we didn't have our computers on for days running the battle.

We can't speed up the game more than three times normal speed non-modded, so it would make sense to mod the speed changes to achieve 10 or 20 times real time.

But these are just my thoughts on another use of 10x10 mile maps.
Hancock the Superb
RDBoles
Reactions:

Post by RDBoles »

Davinci this is right up my ally. It would be great to have a battle map this size. When I used to play the Talonsoft Gettysburg game I would take two or three days to play. The manuevering is just is as important as the battle action. With this size map the fog of war will be a major factor. Handling and manuevering will be more critical. You would have to plan way ahead and be much more conservative in your approach to actual fighting. I want one. Yes I want one. Did I mention I want one?
Move Forward
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

I have tested a 7.5 mile mod based on the Pipe Creek 1 map. The terrain and distances work fine. The units need to be rescaled. The buildings and fences remain at their original size which looks a bit odd. If there is a unit near a house, it looks like the war of the Cub Scouts. :side:

If you like playing full army battles, this is a nice map to play on. However if you set up in 'Hunt them Down' it may take you significant time just to find the enemy at all.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I really like the direction you are going with this, Davinci. Many thanks for all your hard work.Martin
Thanks, for listening, I really do like to experiment with different things, and Norb seems to encourage me testing out his engine, but I’m still not sure if this will work!
Do maps have to be square?
Looking at your latest screenshot, Davinci, I could imagine a map 15 miles W-E by 10 N-S...
As far as I know, the maps will have to be a square in order to work properly. I doubt that there is a way around this since the game works off of coordinates that are hard-coded.
But how could we run the game over the course of days? I was suggesting that one could collapse time to make a real-time strategic campaign...so we didn't have our computers on for days running the battle.
If it works , and that is a big if, you would only speed up the game while moving the troops once the game starts. After that you would switch back to regular time and play the game.
Basically what Gudadantza said!
You are already able to speed up things in game.
If it is about multi I think it would make things a bit odd...

I see those maps to be played with the save-game feature in mind. Or for create full campaigns. Great for multiple day’s battles and carryover, front lines etc...
Davinci this is right up my ally. It would be great to have a battle map this size. When I used to play the Talonsoft Gettysburg game I would take two or three days to play. The maneuvering is just is as important as the battle action. With this size map the fog of war will be a major factor. Handling and maneuvering will be more critical. You would have to plan way ahead and be much more conservative in your approach to actual fighting. I want one. Yes I want one. Did I mention I want one?
My thoughts exactly!
I have tested a 7.5 mile mod based on the Pipe Creek 1 map. The terrain and distances work fine. The units need to be rescaled. The buildings and fences remain at their original size which looks a bit odd. If there is a unit near a house, it looks like the war of the Cub Scouts. :side: -Jim
True, but I’m testing this without the houses, and the fences, so there is no reason to re-scale the terrain.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Gudadantza
Reactions:

Post by Gudadantza »

Davinci wrote:

As far as I know, the maps will have to be a square in order to work properly. I doubt that there is a way around this since the game works off of coordinates that are hard-coded.
It can be a way, that could give ugly and horrible results :cheer: but the usable map would be something not squared.

For example. Using the FPS maps tricks. Just modelling the playable space, constructing natural barriers and ignoring the space beyond. The real map should be squared but the playable map not.

It would be horrible "per se" but in good hands the magic of movies creates miracles! :laugh: