Courier commands not being followed

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
LeatherneckGA
Reactions:

Courier commands not being followed

Post by LeatherneckGA »

Playing a sandbox game as corps commander.

Gave the following order to 2 different artillery commanders at different times and neither one of them followed the orders.

To: Capt James Harrington:

Please execute the following order

Move to my left flank

(also tried varying the orders with form your unit into line and unlimber artillery)

The courier gets there but not one soul moves.

Is this broken? Seems that when I use the buttons, EVERYONE moves, but giving courier commands to artillery units is pretty useless or am I missing something?
CoB4thTEXAS
Reactions:

Re: Courier commands not being followed

Post by CoB4thTEXAS »

Hi there,

try this, not sure if ya got to issue that please execute the following order, this is how i issue orders to commanders,

1. issue a no-orders command to the commander, (this kinda re-sets the commander)

2. move to my left flank,

3. form battery in line, (this is important cause it makes the whole battery move, not just the commander)

4. facing north,

5. use solid shot,

6. on infantry,

Also as Corp commander i'd try to detach that battery so it only obeys your orders.

Hope this helps.

*S*
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Was the battery firing at the enemy or preparing to at the time? If so, you will need to first give it the stance, 'no orders'. Then tell it where to move and which formation to assume once it gets there. It is also possible that the division commander did not want that battery moved and countermanded your order.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
LeatherneckGA
Reactions:

Post by LeatherneckGA »

I'll give this a try, thank you for the suggestion.

At the time I issued the order there was no activity at all going on. I had just moved the division into it's position and had waited until all of the units had set themselves into line.

I was in the process of getting the artillery setup when this happened.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I don't know if this has ever been fixed, but I always click the time thing before giving any commanders an order.

This seems to make them move as soon as they receive the courier message.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
LeatherneckGA
Reactions:

Post by LeatherneckGA »

Nope, absolutely zero response. Even tried detaching the unit even tho I'm the division commander, then tried to re-attach it. The artillery is simply NOT responding to orders what-so-ever.

I tried your sequence of orders precisely as you gave them above, there was no deviation.

Now, one more thing. I had just given an entire division "button orders" to form into line at my position once I arrived at the objective. Could this be causing a conflict?
LeatherneckGA
Reactions:

Post by LeatherneckGA »

Had not seen your response about the time Davinci, but hell I'll try that too.
LeatherneckGA
Reactions:

Post by LeatherneckGA »

I don't know if this has ever been fixed, but I always click the time thing before giving any commanders an order.

This seems to make them move as soon as they receive the courier message.

davinci
Ok the time stamp with the execution order seemed to do the trick. They are at least moving now. If this is a bug, it really needs to be fixed.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Ok the time stamp with the execution order seemed to do the trick. They are at least moving now. If this is a bug, it really needs to be fixed.
Guessing here - I think that it was programmed to give the player the option of moving units by courier with a sort of delayed time frame.

An example would be if you wanted the brigade to move in one hour from the time that they received the message.

I have never tried giving any orders that didn't move the units immediately, but during this feature, something went wrong, so the time thing seems to move them alone.

BTW - just clicking the time thing works the same as selecting a time, the time that is hi-lighted which is the current time will be selected automatically.

After during it this way for so long.....its now just another click!

But, I will add that the courier-system has to be one of Norb's greatest feats in programming. I move all nineteen brigades by courier and only Take-Command of them once they reach the front-lines.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
LeatherneckGA
Reactions:

Post by LeatherneckGA »

Guessing here - I think that it was programmed to give the player the option of moving units by courier with a sort of delayed time frame.

An example would be if you wanted the brigade to move in one hour from the time that they received the message.

I have never tried giving any orders that didn't move the units immediately, but during this feature, something went wrong, so the time thing seems to move them alone.

BTW - just clicking the time thing works the same as selecting a time, the time that is hi-lighted which is the current time will be selected automatically.

After during it this way for so long.....its now just another click!

But, I will add that the courier-system has to be one of Norb's greatest feats in programming. I move all nineteen brigades by courier and only Take-Command of them once they reach the front-lines.

davinci
I agree, the courier system is the best feature for those of us who want to experience (as best as possible anyway), in a simulator, the challenges with sending and receiving commands based on human intervention.

They did this very well, only thing I would like to see changed in it, is a few more options, i.e. move your unit 100 yards forward, instead of the standard 300 yards. There are times when I don't need a unit to move that far, i.e. from a covered position behind a hill to on top of the hill in order to put flanking fire on a unit crossing in front of them.