Bugles & Flags XIX

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Bugles and Flags v10

Post by RebBugler »

Is there any chance you might consider producing a few flags for the Confederate Indian Regiments? I'm an enthusiast for the Trans Mississippi, and this would give my OOBs extra flavour. I could supply details for battle flags for each of the 'Five Civilised Tribes' as they were known (Cherokee, Creek, Semiunole, Choctaw,& Chickasaw).

Regardless of the answer, I'm having great fun with these. Many thanks Reb.

Martin
I did the Cherokee Braves flag with Pea Ridge, coming one of these days. :unsure:

Wasn't aware of other native American flags, and the Pea Ridge flags are done and set, least for now. If we ever get appropriate sprites for that action then new flags might be in order. As it is, Rebs with Indian flags really don't mix well for historical depictions. Still, yes, if you have leads on such flags, I'd like to see them. Then maybe some inspirations will come forth.
Thanks for your message and appreciation here. :)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
4thMissInf.Co.F
Reactions:

Post by 4thMissInf.Co.F »

Hello Reb,

If you ever need any sources for flags of the Army of Mississippi or Army of Tennessee I am coming across and have quite a few in my possession due to my research of the historical regimental book I am writing. I can dig them out if you need them.

BTW, the DRF writer owes you some money as I purchased his book because of your information as well as your fantastic mod. Tell him $10's and $20's will be fine. :) His write up is really very interesting and I thank you for that, too.
My Ancestors:

-James Neely Vance, Pvt, 4th Mississippi Infantry, Company F "Sons Of The South", Army of Mississippi, Army of Tennessee
-William Harrison "Hash" Mabry, Pvt, 31st Mississippi Infantry, Company H, and 8th Mississippi Cavalry, Company D, N.B. Forrests Cavalry

Forever UNRECONSTRUCTED!
gbs
Reactions:

Post by gbs »

Hey Reb. I'm getting lost....Is there ONE place to go to get all your HD flags? The last one I downloaded said 24, I think, which means I have downloaded 6 different Mods.....correct? Be great if all your work could be in I big Mod.
Last edited by gbs on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Wasn't aware of other native American flags, and the Pea Ridge flags are done and set, least for now. If we ever get appropriate sprites for that action then new flags might be in order. As it is, Rebs with Indian flags really don't mix well for historical depictions. Still, yes, if you have leads on such flags, I'd like to see them. Then maybe some inspirations will come forth.
Thanks for your message and appreciation here. :)
Hey Reb

I’ll send you a private message re the indian flags. I can do you some scans.

The sprites are an issue, I agree. Not just for the Indian troops, but also for the Confederates generally in the Trans-Mississippi. Most displayed a great lack of uniformity I think, and some something along the lines of the infantry sprites would work better for cavalry in that theatre.

As regards the Confederate indian troops, it’s probably true to say that on average they were more likely to be mixed-blood, and more assimilated to white American ways, than Union indians. There were also differences between the tribes. Many of the Choctaws would probably have been at least as well-uniformed as Texan or Arkansas units operating far away from their sources of supply. The Seminoles were perhaps at the other extreme.

I have started playing around with the stock sprites and use a mixture of grey, butternut and US cavalry sprites which gives the Confederate cavalry a rather ramshackle look. More blue and less grey for the indian troops. Not ideal though, and you cannot use it in MP because unitglobal.csv is off-limits for that.

Martin
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Hey Reb. I'm getting lost....Is there ONE place to go to get all your HD flags? The last one I downloaded said 24, I think, which means I have downloaded 6 different Mods.....correct? Be great if all your work could be in I big Mod.
Ha, yeah, I began these Reb HD flags with other intentions. But now there will be just one replacement mod...this last one with 32 Reb flags, you can ditch the others. Thanks
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Martin James
I have started playing around with the stock sprites and use a mixture of grey, butternut and US cavalry sprites which gives the Confederate cavalry a rather ramshackle look. More blue and less grey for the indian troops. Not ideal though, and you cannot use it in MP because unitglobal.csv is off-limits for that.

That's a great idea to mix Union uniforms into the Reb cavalry for the Indian look...Thanks, I'm gonna do that. ;)
Last edited by RebBugler on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

The very first scenario I built for SOW was a remake of GB12-July2-The Peach Orchard (C-Brig) with Barksdale, The Longest Charge. With this remake, Barksdale's full charge, to it's historically fatal end is represented. Of course, the whole purpose of this remake was to challenge the player to make it heroic and successful, rather than just heroic, but with an eventual overwhelming disaster for Barksdale and his brigade. This first remake was tough by the responses I got from players, too tough, yet I could beat it. Then, the fatigue level was increased with a patch, making this scenario un-winnable even by me, or probably even Sarge. :unsure:

So now I'm introducing a new revised version - GB01e-July2-Barksdale, The Longest Charge (C-Brig). The name has been changed slightly so it won't overwrite the previous version in case some brave soul wants to challenge my findings, and try to beat it in it's original edition.

This revised edition adds an additional half hour, provides fatigue bonuses to the captured objectives, and a few more tweaks to enhance play. It's still tough, but more manageable this time around. So dawn your Rebel General hats and lead Barksdale's brigade to that glory they truly sacrificed for, and are FAMOUS for, THE LONGEST CHARGE THAT HISTORY REMEMBERS, for all wars. Enjoy...

Unzip/copy into the Bugles and Flags Scenario folder...
The attachment GB01e-July2-BarksdaleTheLongestChargeC-Brig.zip is no longer available
Attachments
GB01e-July2-BarksdaleTheLongestChargeC-Brig.zip
(44.64 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

New, er, rather worn, Massachusetts Flag coming with B&F XI, along with a full set of Danged Blue Flags (DBF), plus HD DRF's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqPSUoJl ... e=youtu.be
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Withdraw, Justrun

As discussed in another thread, tested as very useful in getting engaged units back and away from the action without a retreat penalty, and fast with no formation change to limit casualties. Located on the back half of the withdraw button, split.

Unzip and find two files - gui and drills. Drills is not necessary with this function but has been updated for some other recently released commands.
Move both files to the Logistics folder, overwrite previous.

GuiDrills.7z

Coming soon with version XI, a few samples as shown with an updated SPLASH
SPLASH_GettysburgDRF_7.jpg
SPLASH_GettysburgDRF_7.jpg (397.42 KiB) Viewed 233 times
Last edited by RebBugler on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Bugles and Flags XI

Post by RebBugler »

Version XI Release...see first post:

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifi ... s-xi#35267