chancellorsville help needed

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
franzrudolf
Reactions:

chancellorsville help needed

Post by franzrudolf »

Hi ya'll i'm s newbie and need help to beat
chancellorsville 2nd scenario the mclaw one
any help we'll be greatly appreciated.
FR
MikeCK
Reactions:

Re: chancellorsville help needed

Post by MikeCK »

Good luck. I get hammered in this scenario. Basically, you have to fight a bit, the. Withdraw back to the high ground behind you before the enemy moves around your flanks.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Click the spoiler for some tips. And this is scenario #3, not #2 :)

Hopefully our master scenario butt kicker, JC Edwards, can chime in too.
SPOILER: SHOW
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

franzrudolf and MikeCK - Your best option would be:

1st off, Take Mahone's Brigade on your right and engage those guns (you have a Volunteer unit - TC them and use them to capture said Guns if possible). You'll have that Brigade of US Regulars bearing down on you - so keep your wits about.

Semmes Brigade is on your left - organize them and take them along that dry creek bed to capture the 2nd VP. Once secured, have the smaller of the 3 Militia Regiments hammer up the road and capture that Yankee Battery in the wheat field. After which, organize Semmes Brigade into Battle Line w/ Reserve at that 2nd VP.

Send Kershaw's and Wilcox's Brigades straight up the road to the 1st VP (with Kershaw in the lead) to engage the US Regulars there....the Brigade of Yankee Irregulars will be coming in behind them to support. Move fast and push them out of there before the re-enforcement's show up through the woodson your right. Push them off that VP Gentlemen!
Once you have done this, take Wilcox forward towards the second VP to support Semmes - he'll need it.

In the wheat field at your rear right (where your 1st Battery is set) bring up Wofford's Brigade - set them in Double Line on the downward slope of the field, facing to their right where the fence is located. A whole Yankee Division will be coming your way.

Place Perry's Brigade in the field across the road (where the Supply Train is located) from Wofford's position. (remember to get McLaw and that Supply train out of there).
Perry will be in great position to support Wofford.

When possible, bring up your 2 Reserve Battery's. Place one with the 1st Battery - the 2nd on the rise behind Perry's position.

Thus far my high score for this is 9500+ (hit the 10,000 mark during the testing faze).

Good luck Gentlemen......and MikeCK....try not to get hammered again. ;-)

regards

The Mad One
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
franzrudolf
Reactions:

Post by franzrudolf »

Thanks a lot for yer advice, really appreciate it
it.
Not born in America myself, but have always
supported the CSA, since my TC2Mannassas
days.
Regards
FR
achilles
Reactions:

Post by achilles »

I advise something similar to JC Edwards- in broad strokes:

Since you know you're likely to be flanked though the woods to your right, stay away from the woods to your right. This is actually a good thing, it buys you a lot of time because its going to take him forever to deploy, reorient, and come after you. I used the road as the line i wanted to ultimately hold.

What I did was send Semmes and Mahone straight ahead with Wilcox and Perry moving up in reserve position on the road. Seize the farm and turn it in to a an artillery platform and deploy Perry to protect that flank. Meanwhile I sent Kershaw and Wofford on the trail to the left, through the woods, and then marched them parallel to the woods. Arrayed them in a long line and marched them in on the flank. Kershaw ended up aligned just about on the farthest control point, took it and rolled up the end of the line. Bottom line- crush that division with all your forces, send them running, then redeploy to receive the attack from that huge flanking force in the other set of woods. For them I refused my right with Perry and player the same trick on Kershaw at the other end while they broke their teeth on Perry and my arty. Rhodes showed up with one whole brigade late in the fight but essentially the whole yankee army was bagged or broken.
BostonatLast
Reactions:

Post by BostonatLast »

Yeah this is a tough one. I have played it about six times and just this last time achieved a victory, but a costly one as I lost over half of McLaws' division in casualties and three Brigade commanders. As Longstreet said regarding the Chancellorsville battles the victories are way too costly for the Army of Northern Va.