How to disable 'Use Roads' across multiple units?

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
pakfront
Reactions:

How to disable 'Use Roads' across multiple units?

Post by pakfront »

I keep coming across cases where units will not stop pathing down roads. Usually this seems to occurs after I give a brigade or division order to 'Use Roads' by courier at some point in the past.

Banging on each regiment's 'Use roads' button and watching their waypoint marks to confirm seems to be the only way to stop their crazy careening, as the button 'lit' status does not seem to a good indication.

This is an unpleasant amount of micromanagment; is there better a way to issue a 'do not use roads' order to brigades and divisions? Brigade level toggle button does not seem reliable, but maybe I'm using it wrong?
Last edited by pakfront on Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Reactions:

Re: How to disable 'Use Roads' across multiple units?

Post by Jim »

Try using the Halt command and then give them the destination again.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Or, just give the formation again, that generally works best for me.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
pakfront
Reactions:

Post by pakfront »

Do these techniques work when sending orders by Courier? Should I put a Halt order above my Move order?
Anthropoid
Reactions:

Post by Anthropoid »

When you are using couriers, there can be a long delay between telling them to use roads and the button lighting up. Most of those sorts of signals of existing orders do not seem to take effect and show on the leaders toolbar until after he is in receipt of the courier. The stance order and some other commands seem to be an exception to this, at least when executed via the toolbar.

This delay in the light showing receipt of an order has more than once caused me to send an order to use roads, and a couple minutes later (before my previous order had even arrived and been executed) given a second order to NOT use roads! :P

While it can seem maddening in play, I really like how this dynamic enlivens and complicates the battlefield and makes simply commanding and controlling your unit a non-trivial challenge with intherent contraints (such as LOS) that you must take account of. Sorry to digress, but just wanted to say how awesome I think the courier system is!

As the order has to be sent down the chain of command, the delay for subordinates can be even greater. I am not entirely sure what I'm seeing but . . . when I use couriers I often see a copy of messages I have sent to subordinates popup. I have assumed that, these are being shown as a confirmation of the order having been received, but they do not seem to show up always so I'm not entirely sure what they are about.

Other than that, I have found that commands given via the toolbar and via courier differ very little, although the delay in receipt and execution can make it seem like courier command is working differently or exhibiting problems which it really isn't.
Last edited by Anthropoid on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.