Windows 8.1 rejects SOW

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
Don
Reactions:

Windows 8.1 rejects SOW

Post by Don »

I had no problem running SOW on 8.0, but with 8.1 it's a different story. I get a computer message "This app can't run on 8.1. For a version that can, see your app manufacturer." Certainly this is a problem that will be faced not only by SOW, but also by Waterloo. Is there no solution?
RDBoles
Reactions:

Re: Windows 8.1 rejects SOW

Post by RDBoles »

Try using the compatibility mode and set it for win 7 or xp. It worked for me. Also update your GPU CPU motherboard, and monitor and video card. I have had my computer for 7 years and missed a few updates.
Move Forward
Don
Reactions:

Post by Don »

I have already tried compatibility mode, with no results. I'm not a techie, so I am ignorant of how to perform the other operations, A very strange note is that I installed the TC2M game & it works fine!
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

One thread is enough.. ;)

RDBoles are you using 8.1? Anyone else? Odd that no one else has reported this..
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

I have been looking to help as well, and all I am seeing out there is people trying to run 64 bit software on 32 bit machines as the reason.

Windows 8.1 does have some issue, and I believe there is a hotfix, but what could be actually causing this is somewhat of a mystery.

The only solution I have seen that in someway makes sense is the content in which Windows 8.1 is shipped meaning the home version, and above can be installed/shipped with missing media files.

There is one thing that does has been reported to fix this which involves uninstalling your video drivers, and reinstalling. This has appeared to fix this issue for some, but not for all mind you.

I have to say that Windows sure is getting odd now.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don
Reactions:

Post by Don »

My machine is a true 64 bit; it was originally a Vista that has seen 2 online upgrades. I will continue to play around with various possible downloads & see what I can come up with.
Don
Reactions:

Post by Don »

Again, my thanks to everyone who tried to help. The old files, which worked just fine on Windows 8.0, were corrupt, so they didn't work on 8.1. It was necessary to dump the old files entirely and start from scratch. I hope this helps others who may be struggling with Windows 8.1.
RDBoles
Reactions:

Post by RDBoles »

I have 2 machines a new one hp 64 bit with win 8.1. I hate it!
I do everything I can think of and it works for a game or two. Then it crashes about 20 minutes into game. I have reinstalled several times again it works great until I leave and come back a few days later. My old computer in the garage has win 7 and it zips right along. I can even have practically all the mods engaged and it still works fine. It is 64 bit as well.
Move Forward
opuslife
Reactions:

Post by opuslife »

FYI - Just went through this, new Win 8.1 64 bit, Toshiba 2 in 1 laptop/tablet - reinstalled the game through Matrix (? think so). Got it all working, but (just checked) I am running it in Compatibility XP SP3 Mode.

Runs fine (beautifully actually - modern laptop HS display is so good, I've downsized from a 17 inch laptop back to a 15.)

The biggest issue I had (after compatibility) was getting the right mods selected and running (it had just been so long since I had played around with those, I'd completely forgot how, and had to bumble my way through it).

But my favorite game is working wonderfully in Win 8.1.

Thanks for staying on game support, folks. Mucho Appreciado, gracias. Bob W. Bristol RI
voltigeur
Reactions:

Post by voltigeur »

hp
Ah, there's your problem. Buying an off the shelf box is not optimum in the sense that it has been pre-loaded with a whole bunch of applications that will all be trying to compete with cpu/ram and hard disk resources.

Do you for instance have a third party anti-virus program installed, eg norton ? Uninstall it and just use the built in Windows Defender. You will notice your machine is instantly more responsive.

And investigate other things that load automatically at start up. Do you really need them active? Probably not.

This game runs very well under win8.1, but like any operating system, if it's full of unnecessary junk it's not going to work well with games.

cheers