Archived forum

A multiplayer online persistence game for Scourge of War.
Lead your division from battle to battle where your casualties really
count.
Garnier
Reactions:

Archived forum

Post by Garnier »

Our GCM forum got hacked by a bot (probably due to the forum software being outdated).

If someone we trust is willing to host and maintain it going forward, I can give them a backup of the database.

Meanwhile, you can view a complete but read-only archive of the forum here: http://philipmcg.com/forum/
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Leifr
Reactions:

Re: Archived forum

Post by Leifr »

As a member of a new group of players to both SoW and GCM, thank you Garnier for putting up the archive.
mike1984
Reactions:

Post by mike1984 »

Garnier, is the offer still on the table to bring back the forum? PM me and I'll send you my email address.
mike1984
Reactions:

Post by mike1984 »

Guess that's a no?

We've been discussing the current state of GCM on TS lately and a few of us would like to see the old forum come back. Not having the old forum (and all the great information compiled over the years) has hurt efforts to getting new players involved early and allowing discussions offline (not on TS). If new players had a place to go (where actual GCM players were active; GCM'ers never post on the NSD forum) to discuss and learn about the game/mod, it would be very beneficial to the overall quality of the game/mod. It's tough to coach up new players only on TS. And the old forum link at the bottom of the site is so obscure that no new players even know to go there to read up on the game/mod.

I did notice the old forum does allow new posts. Does that mean it works? Could we start using it again? Thanks.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Wouldn't getting the GCM players to post here regularly be better? You'd get a wider audience as well.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
mike1984
Reactions:

Post by mike1984 »

Garnier's had a link to this forum on the gcm site since the old one crashed, yet no one comes here to post. Not to get into the psychological aspects of this, but I do think it has something to do w/the "starting over from scratch" challenge here. The old forums had all the old topics and information, where it would be much easier for the GCM guys to pick right back up again posting.

The old forums seems to work. If Garnier gave the ok to start using it officially again, then all he'd have to do is replace the link in the top nav area of sowmp.com.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

The forum link on the website directs one here to the Garnier's Campaign Mod forum section.

So there's no real reason to try to get the old forum up. We can use this one for any new discussion. There is a lot of good information on the old GCM forum for sure.

You could simply copy and paste whatever you want from the old forum to a new post here.

I'm sure NSD wouldn't mind the traffic. And Digby is right. . . we might even gain a few new players.

Games have been good, as usual.

Garnier did something to his maps a while back. And really have very little lag anymore.

Check out the lag times here: http://www.sowmp.com/gcm/battles

So if anyone is interested in spending an hour and a half playing a civil war battle against other real people, come give us a try.

www.sowmp.com
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

That's interesting. Must check out his updated maps. Do we know what specifically is the worst culprit in a map that contributes to lag?
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
mike1984
Reactions:

Post by mike1984 »

Soldier, I know what you mean. And rather than push the idea of restarting the old forum, I'm going to try to get this one going more. But it's also up to all the GCM guys to actually start posting here, too. The old forum was going along strong until it crashed, so it's not like it was dying off or anything.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

That's interesting. Must check out his updated maps. Do we know what specifically is the worst culprit in a map that contributes to lag?
No. . . for the most part. . . this is pure speculation on my part.

But. . . Garnier got interested in lag. He studied it (that's why we have the lag % there).

Then Garnier updated the maps just a few days after updating them. Then the lag went away and only returns when players with slow machines or connections play.

I would love for Garnier to respond. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

You know. . . he is out of college and doing grown up things. I think his interest in the game has long gone away.
Last edited by KG_Soldier on Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.