Courier Messages

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
boxster
Reactions:

Courier Messages

Post by boxster »

I am trying to use the Courier system to send orders in Single Player. I am composing a Courier Message and my goal is to get my subordinate to move his units to a specific location. When I did this in SOW Gettysburg I would select "Move To" and then "Move your units to this Map Point" and it would work. In Waterloo this option is not available. In the Waterloo manual on P. 73 it says there are options in the "Orders" section called "Move 1 Unit..." and "Move Entire Unit To..." and then "Move your unit to this Map Point". However, I do not see these options anywhere. Anyone have any idea where these are and I how I would get to them in Waterloo? Thanks
Jim
Reactions:

Re: Courier Messages

Post by Jim »

The courier command map was not working to our standards in the new GUI system and so did not make this release. It will return in the future.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
tinyb
Reactions:

Post by tinyb »

I have been experimenting at various levels and am now in Veteran. I cannot no matter what I do get the Courier system to work at all. I am trying to send a message from Napoleon to a Div Commander, nothing. If anyone can remind me, or advise me on what I am missing, I would be grateful. A basic procedure would be great.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Hi Tiny,

Check the manual (p42) for more info on difficulty levels and couriers. I think at 'veteran' it only works when giving orders to corps and higher. I find custom is best when playing at couriers - you can get it to work at any level you like then.
Stellar Duck
Reactions:

Post by Stellar Duck »

I've been playing SOWGB for a year or so and have in that time read a number of books on the Civil War and various battles and topics more specific. I'm pretty well into that now even if I still feel like a scrub.

I'm a complete newbie at Napoleonic stuff though. How hands on would a commander actually be in that period? Surely Nappy himself wouldn't generally be sending messages to a brigade commander under normal circumstances?
Snatching Defeat from the jaws of Victory since 1982
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Post by Gunfreak »

I've been playing SOWGB for a year or so and have in that time read a number of books on the Civil War and various battles and topics more specific. I'm pretty well into that now even if I still feel like a scrub.

I'm a complete newbie at Napoleonic stuff though. How hands on would a commander actually be in that period? Surely Nappy himself wouldn't generally be sending messages to a brigade commander under normal circumstances?
It depended on the battle and scale, Napoleon self would deirect an night assualt on a bridge and fortifiaction(can't remmber which campaign it was)

Here we choose each battalion and company placed the brigades, but this was a well planed attack.

At waterloo he places the corps and divisions, then orderd attacked, and gave orders as the battle progressed.(tho he had very little control over parts of that battle)
Pawsy_bear
Reactions:

Post by Pawsy_bear »

Marshal Ney was renown for leading from the front

He was given the title 'bravest of the brave' by Napoleon as he was the last French man to leave Russian soil.

And at his execution in 1815, refusing a blindfold

'"Soldiers, when I give the command to fire, fire straight at my heart. Wait for the order. It will be my last to you. I protest against my condemnation. I have fought a hundred battles for France, and not one against her ... Soldiers, fire'

Gets my vote for hands on leader
Soult
Reactions:

Post by Soult »

Is the plan to release it as a patch or update or for future installments? I think it's an awesome feature.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

Napoleon was very hands-on, but not all the time. Sometimes he would individually sight cannons even.
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
HoldTheLine
Reactions:

Post by HoldTheLine »

Napoleon was very hands-on, but not all the time. Sometimes he would individually sight cannons even.
... which he was especially qualified to do, given he started in the artillery.