Questions from a beginner

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
uxbridge
Reactions:

Questions from a beginner

Post by uxbridge »

I must confess bafflement on a couple of things.
Couriers - in the various Youtube tutorials posted by a number of people I see couriers going from the commander to the units under his command. I don't mean couriers with messages created using the courier system, just an animation of riders going out to the units and straight back to the commander. I do not see this when I play the tutorial or a simple sandbox.

When you give a direct order to a unit, it ceases to display a star when you select its commander. But how do you reattach it? I went mad in the tutorial having clicked on one gun by mistake and then no matter what orders I gave, this one gun only responded when I selected it. I have similar problems in SOW: Gettysburg.

Multimonitor minor glitch - I have two monitors with the game running full screen on the lefthand one. Moving the mouse to the left, top or bottom makes the camera move. Nothing happens when I move the mouse to the right of the monitor or onto the desktop of the second monitor. I first started the game using 1280 by 960, although my monitor is actualy 1280 by 1024. In this mode nothing happened when the mouse was moved to the bottom of the screen or to the right.

The game runs fine, as far as I can tell at this very early stage, in all other respects.
Last edited by uxbridge on Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
miller3492
Reactions:

Re: Questions from a beginner

Post by miller3492 »

1st the courier. you must go into your settings and turn this feature on. While in settings i also recommend turning off "Show all dead bodies" By turning this feature off, it allows dead units to stack ontop of each other resulting in more dead on the battle feild.

Direct order- Make sure you are not turning on the the FLAG icon. This allows for "take command" and the AI officers no longer control the unit and the unit cant be ordered from the commanding officer. Use "Take Command" when you want to ensure your lines hold steady. If the take command flag is not highlighted, then the unit is still under the command of the officer.

2nd monitor- This is an issues in many games including some AAA titles like total war. I wouldnt know how to fix this since i play on a single monitor with a res of 2560x1080

hope this helps
uxbridge
Reactions:

Post by uxbridge »

Thanks Miller

I cannot see anything in the settings that puts the courier animations on. Can you be more specific?

I think I've got the take command worked out - there seems to be a program bug in that the gold star indicating a unit is under AI command does not always reappear when you have taken command and then given it back.
ColBlimp
Reactions:

Post by ColBlimp »

Options page 1
'Orders by courier at this level and above'
click on the drop down menu and choose required level - 'None' is one of the options.
uxbridge
Reactions:

Post by uxbridge »

Thanks, got it. I thought turning on couriers was only for implementing the full messaging system.

I've made a lot of progress today, spent a frustrating time trying to get the Grog toolbar to work before realising I had to not only resign and restart but start a new game, rather than reload an existing one.

Feeling much happier about the game now, looking forward to doing some serious damage to the Frenchies.