Chickamauga

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Chickamauga

Post by RebBugler »

Thank you RB, I'm certainly in for the ride. Lot's more to go for!

That score you have, with minimum casualties on both sides - how did you manage that?

The final screen mess up could indeed be something that I've done, I just took a screen grab and saved it so I'll check that and let you know.

David(jolly)
Ha, I just used that end screen from another scenario to show what it's supposed to look like. If what you posted is the end screen then something is amiss, thanks for checking it out.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Yep RB, it was indeed my muck up regarding the final screens, just a testing error whilst working on some new screens - as such ....

The attachment splash.jpg is no longer available
David(jolly)
Attachments
splash.jpg
splash.jpg (254.98 KiB) Viewed 183 times
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

CHI04-Morning of the 19th (U-Corps)

I just managed to scrape my way through yet again - another engrossing scenario encounter.
(and got the final screens ok after goofing up) ;)

The attachment Score04.jpg is no longer available

David(jolly)
Attachments
Score04.jpg
Score04.jpg (143.72 KiB) Viewed 183 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Update 2.0, May 31, 2017

- Added the 'Transporting ME to move instantly to map locations' option to scenarios CHI1 and CHI4...Limited it to the first courier message only.

- Included Jolly's Splashscreen shown in an earlier post

- End Screens now display the scenario name in the lower left corner, screenshot example attached below
The attachment EndScreenCHI11.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
EndScreenCHI11.jpg
EndScreenCHI11.jpg (319.14 KiB) Viewed 183 times
Last edited by RebBugler on Wed May 31, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Some more splash and main screens work (in progress) ;)

The attachment ChickSplash01.jpg is no longer available
The attachment ChickMain01.jpg is no longer available
The attachment ChickSplash02.jpg is no longer available
The attachment ChickMain02.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
ChickMain02.jpg
ChickMain02.jpg (233.52 KiB) Viewed 183 times
ChickSplash02.jpg
ChickSplash02.jpg (212.62 KiB) Viewed 183 times
ChickMain01.jpg
ChickMain01.jpg (199.38 KiB) Viewed 183 times
ChickSplash01.jpg
ChickSplash01.jpg (183.38 KiB) Viewed 183 times
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

CHI05-Afternoon of the 19th (C-Corps)

Carnage in the woods on all fronts!

The attachment carn.jpg is no longer available
The attachment carnU.jpg is no longer available

Got some new graphics for this which I'll get together for an update.
Attachments
carnU.jpg
carnU.jpg (285.18 KiB) Viewed 183 times
carn.jpg
carn.jpg (288.73 KiB) Viewed 183 times
Last edited by Jolly on Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
mkeogh76
Reactions:

Post by mkeogh76 »

I played the Union version of Three Bridges with HITS and couriers.

I know these scenarios were designed to be played in standard mode with ability to view everything from above and swoop-in anytime to change or give orders, but I once I started playing with HITS I can't go back to playing these games any other way.

So, it's an additional challenge to play this scenario with HITS. And, for me, it was a challenge. Playing it involved a lot of trial and error and a number of rage quits. Eventually, though, I did manage a victory.

1) Keep Mitchell at Dyer's Bridge (the northern one) and try to hold it for as long as possible. This isn't too hard until the Texas Brigade shows-up which fortunately isn't until the last 15-20 minutes.

2) Leave just a screening force at Reed's Bridge (the middle one): a 50 man scout detachment and an artillery section.

3) Order Col. Wilder and Captain Lilly to hold Alexander's Bridge (the southern one) at all costs.

4) Order Col. Minty to move his brigade to the Retreat Position. (This was one of the lessons of trial and error: knowing where that Retreat Position victory location is going to pop-up and having a big enough force to hold onto it is the key to this scenario.)

Command-and-control is difficult because of the distances between all the units. It's further made more difficult when Rebel cavalry starts infiltrating all along Chickamauga Creek and intercepting couriers. As a result, after a flurry of initial orders I'd give very few additional ones to my subordinates for the rest of the scenario. I was very reliant upon Minty and Wilder fighting well, but fortunately they're good commanders with good troops. Most of my time was spent going through the OOB to see how everyone was doing and when the fighting picked-up at Dyer's doing some micromanaging with the forces there.

Overall, I had a lot of fun with this scenario. Even when I rage quit I'd still be motivated to give it another go because I could definitely see how I could do better. So, I really appreciate this mod pack.

A few issues:

I really wish SOW Gettysburg had a "mounted infantry" troop type. Although most of the fighting done by my troops was on foot, I still benefited from Wilder's regiments occasionally doing saber-wielding charges and racking-up major points. That was nice, but ridiculous. Wilder's men never fought on horseback. They were the very definition of mounted infantry. I don't think they even had sabers.

Also, I really dislike how effective cavalry is against infantry in these games. I know cavalry was boosted over several patches to make the East Cavalry and Brandy Station battles more interesting, but watching Civil War cavalry doing frontal charges against steady infantry and slaughtering them is eye-roll inducing. If Norbsoft ever does return to the Civil War then I really hope they do a better job of modeling cavalry vs. infantry combat.
Last edited by mkeogh76 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Also, I really dislike how effective cavalry is against infantry in these games. I know cavalry was boosted over several patches to make the East Cavalry and Brandy Station battles more interesting, but watching Civil War cavalry doing frontal charges against steady infantry and slaughtering them is eye-roll inducing. If Norbsoft ever does return to the Civil War then I really hope they do a better job of modeling cavalry vs. infantry combat.
Jumping Topic Here:

Inside of the SDK is a csv file called "statetables" that should allow the Player to adjust the Melee values for Infantry and Cavalry.

You can probably play around with those values and solve the problem that you mentioned above.

Once you edit those values just place the new "statetables" into a folder called "Logistics" without the quotes and place it in a Mod.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I played the Union version of Three Bridges with HITS and couriers.

I know these scenarios were designed to be played in standard mode with ability to view everything from above and swoop-in anytime to change or give orders, but I once I started playing with HITS I can't go back to playing these games any other way.

So, it's an additional challenge to play this scenario with HITS. And, for me, it was a challenge. Playing it involved a lot of trial and error and a number of rage quits. Eventually, though, I did manage a victory.

1) Keep Mitchell at Dyer's Bridge (the northern one) and try to hold it for as long as possible. This isn't too hard until the Texas Brigade shows-up which fortunately isn't until the last 15-20 minutes.

2) Leave just a screening force at Reed's Bridge (the middle one): a 50 man scout detachment and an artillery section.

3) Order Col. Wilder and Captain Lilly to hold Alexander's Bridge (the southern one) at all costs.

4) Order Col. Minty to move his brigade to the Retreat Position. (This was one of the lessons of trial and error: knowing where that Retreat Position victory location is going to pop-up and having a big enough force to hold onto it is the key to this scenario.)

Command-and-control is difficult because of the distances between all the units. It's further made more difficult when Rebel cavalry starts infiltrating all along Chickamauga Creek and intercepting couriers. As a result, after a flurry of initial orders I'd give very few additional ones to my subordinates for the rest of the scenario. I was very reliant upon Minty and Wilder fighting well, but fortunately they're good commanders with good troops. Most of my time was spent going through the OOB to see how everyone was doing and when the fighting picked-up at Dyer's doing some micromanaging with the forces there.

Overall, I had a lot of fun with this scenario. Even when I rage quit I'd still be motivated to give it another go because I could definitely see how I could do better. So, I really appreciate this mod pack.

A few issues:

I really wish SOW Gettysburg had a "mounted infantry" troop type. Although most of the fighting done by my troops was on foot, I still benefited from Wilder's regiments occasionally doing saber-wielding charges and racking-up major points. That was nice, but ridiculous. Wilder's men never fought on horseback. They were the very definition of mounted infantry. I don't think they even had sabers.

Excellent AAR, much appreciated! And to gain a Victory playing HITS, quite an accomplishment, because for sure, these scenarios are designed to be challenging on Normal difficulty.

Yes, I agree, cavalry unfortunately has some issues, but behaves OK most of the time. Your concern that historically they were dismounted infantry could have been addressed with the DCav Class (used a lot in the East Cavalry Field scenarios). However, I opted for cavalry as the DCav troops limit the player's options on how to use them. You can also tone down cavalry aggressiveness by entering a 1 or 2 in the Mod column in the OOB. I also opted not to do this because then cavalry won't charge at all, opening up player dislikes, like making capturing guns impossible. Bottom line with cavalry treatment here, I went with gameplay, trumping historic.

Thanks for your input... :)
Last edited by RebBugler on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
conjotter
Reactions:

Post by conjotter »

Hi folks.

What is the latest and most up to date version of the Chickamauga mod?

Is it 2.0?

Thanks.