Who would you work for?

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
norb
Reactions:

Re:Who would you work for?

Post by norb »

Good choice Von,
If this thing works out like I'm hoping, I think this will be a great place to work. If we can keep putting out games and expansions and get enough money to keep us alive, then NSD will be the place for me. I would always rather work for a small company than a big one. I like having some control of my life.
tim
Reactions:

Post by tim »

I did actually work for a game company from 2001 to 2003 called Warthog. I was the financial guy there from 2000 to 2003. They made Bounty Hunter (space fps - ok but not great) and a decent Rally game along with a lot of not so good stuff. Eventually they were bought by an American Company that producing the gizmo (? psp rival) and went bust. It was a biggish company - 350 people with offices in the UK, Sweden and Texas. It wasn't a lot of fun there - too much pressure, not enough money and I felt the biggest problem was we didn't make a decent game! I left after two years and my day job is with a design compnay now.

As for which other company I'd like to work for if not NSD - well the obvious one is Creative Assembly who make Total War - and they are just up the road from me - there's Slitherine too nearby who make wargames. Although I've never play Slitherine games - never really appealed. As a bit of a curve ball I'd also like to work on a Lord of the Rings game - so whoever makes the MMO LotR games. They are all second choices to NSD to be honest - can't think of a game I'd rather be working on!
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

As soon as we are done this ACW stuff, we'll start talking about how we're going to do a fantasy game Tim!
Badger
Reactions:

Post by Badger »

@VonViper,

Indeed WWII Online - Battleground Europe is awesome. How about making a civil war like that & have players command a regiment/squadron/battery apiece :D

Slitherine seems nice enough.

Battlefront might be a good one, there games a pretty good.

cheers
B
louie raider
Reactions:

Post by louie raider »

as this is my first time working for a game co., i'm not certain what the standards are usually for this sort of experience, but i don't think i could improve on witnessing the level of quality and hard work that this team has established. Plus, these are a great bunch of chaps, not a single ego case. it's very easy to communicate within the team, which is crucial when everyone's so spread out.

i dunno if there'll ever be a time where this work could replace my Day Job but it's an interesting prospect to consider...
this space for rent
bedbug
Reactions:

Post by bedbug »

....Once the enonomy picks up I can retire.....which would allow me to work full time for NSD. :laugh:
GShock
Reactions:

Post by GShock »

Worked for several of the mentioned as beta.

Personally, i'd love to work with Panther Games, creators of Highway to the Reich, Conquest of the Aegean and the soon to come Battle of the Bulge.

Matrixgames will publish, check the AAR on the Botb thread and see what kind of games these are.

Already volounteered for NSD but i guess we did all. :P
Last edited by GShock on Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tim
Reactions:

Post by tim »

norb wrote:
As soon as we are done this ACW stuff, we'll start talking about how we're going to do a fantasy game Tim!
I would like to see a Lord of the Rings battle game. I tried the Battle for Middle Earth but its too RTS for me. I hate all that resource gathering and building. Also (and this will sound a bit odd) but its too fantasy for me. I like Tolkien because its so believable because its not over the top. Also you will get me started on the 'it's based on his experinces in WW1 and his hatred of industrialisation...' I also tried the Total War mods which graphically where brilliant but the AI just let the game down (again).

Gone a bit off topic now. I forgot Battlefront - I really liked Combat Mission but I wasn't keen on the new games modern setting. Haven't tried Panther games stuff but heard a lot of good things about them. Like Norb I don't have much spare time to play so tend to avoid buying new games. I would love to do a WW1 game but then I think I'm the only person who would buy it!

Derek - if the economy doesn't pick I may be forced into (very) early retirement...:S
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Not to hijack this thread......but I would like to comment that in a recent conversation with Norb, I mentioned that I would really like to see a WW I game powered by the War3DII engine.:)
It would be outstanding.;)
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Once the base war3dii engine is done, we can do anything that fits within it's scheme. I've specifically been writing it to be as generic as possible.

I would really like to do the fight at the end of the hobbit, but there is no way we could get the license. So we'll make our own stuff, got a ton of ideas and I know everyone on the team does too. We just need time.