Tool for Mod Conflicts?

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Tool for Mod Conflicts?

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Hi.

I am wondering if a tool can be made that would check all of the mods a person may have installed, and which mods conflict with others? I started looking through all the mod files to make my own list, and I soon gave up when I started comparing which lines are changed in each csv's just too many.

Is this even possible?

Later!
Davinci
Reactions:

Re:Tool for Mod Conflicts?

Post by Davinci »

You have to keep in mind that these are really just the first-generation-mods.

As of now everybody is basically playing around with the mods, trying different things to see what works and what doesn’t work. The game is barely six months old, so there is a lot of new ground that has to be covered, by different modders doing different things.

This I feel is the right approach to take, where-as if everybody were doing the exact same things, nobody would learn anything new, but if everyone goes off in separate directions, eventually they will meet back up somewhere near the middle.

The forum has several advantages with this, first - there are a lot of us from the other game, second – the files are relatively based on the same file structure as the previous game, third – Norbs – Team – are pretty good modders themselves.

In time – someone will take the time to combine all of the mods into something similar as the CMP from the pervious game – and this will serve as the Universal Modders Standard – when making new mods that are one-hundred-percent-compatible with each other.

Until then – to each his own, experiment, experiment, and experiment!!!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

As we grow and the focus of the game moves towards creating new battles rather than adding new features to the game engine, I believe that I'll have more time to work on modding and mod tools. Hopefully, as mods grow, the toolset will grow.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Hi.

Good to hear guys. I guess the game is pretty limitless in what you can do with it (except map creation for now). There will always be conflicts no matter what, but like you mentioned, there will be a standard to follow which hopefully will lower the chances of having crippling conflicts.

Later, and thanks...!