So I'm a Cavalry Man!

norb
Reactions:

So I'm a Cavalry Man!

Post by norb »

My second cousin (Mom's cousin right?) is doing a family tree/history. Seems my Great Great Grandfather was in the Second Mass Cavalry Company M. Joseph Bluett. What is disturbing though is that he came from California :) So I'm a west coaster.

Joseph Bluett
03/20/63 Enlisted
07/20/65 Mustered Out
Fairfax Court House, VA
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Re: So I'm a Cavalry Man!

Post by JC Edwards »

Um....you do know which end of the horse you must be facing to ride, yes?:laugh: :P

That's really neat your cousin found that information my friend...........but you? a West Coastie?! Heaven's!!:huh: :cheer:
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

OK, more info. He started out in PA first, over from England. Then went out to CA. Came back as part of the California Battalion and stayed. Joined the PA Reserves after the War and the rest is history.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

It's a neat feeling when you find out you have a Civil War relative. I have a dang Yankee in my family tree..lol. ;) He was a Union spy, he's on my moms side. I still need to find out if I had anyone on my dads side.

My wife on the other hand, had a relative in the 48th Georgia. He was involved in literally every major battle of the war and he was wounded twice. Paroled after Appomattox.
Last edited by Little Powell on Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

I was sent a scan of his certificate of honorable discharge, also some scans of his insignia. I was surprised to find out that someone else in my family had looked into this. We had checked it out a few years back and could find no info, then this cousin comes in and fills in all the details. I have the photo of the PA reserves, but I don't think anything older.
John Buford
Reactions:

Post by John Buford »

My second cousin (Mom's cousin right?) is doing a family tree/history. Seems my Great Great Grandfather was in the Second Mass Cavalry Company M. Joseph Bluett. What is disturbing though is that he came from California :) So I'm a west coaster.

Joseph Bluett
03/20/63 Enlisted
07/20/65 Mustered Out
Fairfax Court House, VA
So does that mean the Cav gets a little more love next release? :P
"They will attack you in the morning and they will come booming–skirmishers three deep. You will have to fight like the devil until supports arrive."
- General John Buford at Gettysburg.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Little Powell wrote:
I have a dang Yankee in my family tree..lol. He was a Union spy, he's on my moms side.
Congrats, there's hope for you yet! :laugh:
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I was sent a scan of his certificate of honorable discharge, also some scans of his insignia. I was surprised to find out that someone else in my family had looked into this. We had checked it out a few years back and could find no info, then this cousin comes in and fills in all the details. I have the photo of the PA reserves, but I don't think anything older.
That's cool.. Great to have something to honor his memory. I have heard of people having weapons, pieces of uniforms etc. from their relatives.

And yes MTG, I do have some Yankee in my blood... Not ashamed to admit it.. :laugh:

Must be why my favorite football team is the New England Patriots. :laugh:
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

Joseph Bluett
03/20/63 Enlisted
07/20/65 Mustered Out
Fairfax Court House, VA
You should send to the National Archives and get his military and pension records. One of my ancestors was in the 3rd Iowa Cavalry. I got lots of interesting records on him from the NR. Next you need to buy an 1860 model light cavalry saber to hang on the wall above your computer.

Is this them:
http://www.militarymuseum.org/2ndMassCav.html
http://www.amazon.com/California-Sabers ... 0253337860

And of course, now you have to teach your wife to sing the following:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDq09oSt9o0
Last edited by Amish John on Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

That's them. My cousin has all the records, he's doing a family tree. That link shows them exactly as I have him on his discharge papers.