Let the Training begin

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Roger55
Reactions:

Let the Training begin

Post by Roger55 »

Well I road G'nl Cutler all about the area between the Hagerstown and Chambersburg pike. I marched brigades up and down and got people into "magic circles." And then G'nl Cutler went into battle. Now I was told that as my brigade arrived more and more of the enemy was going bto come on. Well Archer came on but never got close. I positiione one NY Rgt incorrectly ant it left a parcel of casualties on the shore of the run. Enough to make it run. But its replacement did very well and pretty soon I had a couple of Rgts in reserve. Then I receive an order to support a battery on my left but I could see no battery there, even though I had Cutler ride to that flank (dicey running an action from the back of the hourse) but I extended the line and refused it. I extended to the right to using the beat up NYrgt as a general reserve. Archer looked good and beat up; so, I thought maybe I'd go over to his hill and visit him. But Corps sent me a message to "hold my position. So I looked carefully to my alignments and waited. But no more Jonnies showed up. Score for casualties -89.:(
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Let the Training begin

Post by Little Powell »

Well I road G'nl Cutler all about the area between the Hagerstown and Chambersburg pike. I marched brigades up and down and got people into "magic circles." And then G'nl Cutler went into battle. Now I was told that as my brigade arrived more and more of the enemy was going bto come on. Well Archer came on but never got close. I positiione one NY Rgt incorrectly ant it left a parcel of casualties on the shore of the run. Enough to make it run. But its replacement did very well and pretty soon I had a couple of Rgts in reserve. Then I receive an order to support a battery on my left but I could see no battery there, even though I had Cutler ride to that flank (dicey running an action from the back of the hourse) but I extended the line and refused it. I extended to the right to using the beat up NYrgt as a general reserve. Archer looked good and beat up; so, I thought maybe I'd go over to his hill and visit him. But Corps sent me a message to "hold my position. So I looked carefully to my alignments and waited. But no more Jonnies showed up. Score for casualties -89.:(
What scenario is this? One of the tutorials maybe? Sorry it's been a while since I've played those..
Roger55
Reactions:

Post by Roger55 »

It's the brigade tutorial. I moved on to the Iron Brigade on Mcphersons ridge in the actual game. They stick Cutler in the Valley of bloody run I think, and Archer attacks.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

It's the brigade tutorial. I moved on to the Iron Brigade on Mcphersons ridge in the actual game. They stick Cutler in the Valley of bloody run I think, and Archer attacks.
Ah, I haven't played that one in ages. My advice would be to just keep trying. The brigade tutorial isn't exactly easy. The enemy AI is aggressive and always changing.. You'll play it one time and they will be bloodthirsty, play it again and they will be more conservative. Hopefully someone who has beat it recently can offer better advice but again, just keep trying it and I'm sure you'll beat it eventually.
Roger55
Reactions:

Post by Roger55 »

I have to Win The Iron Brigade first. First score -89. Second score 308. If I don't win Mcpherson's ridge I can't move on to Culps Hill. Last time I was going to try to get to the objective circle, but as I advanced into that woods after the Rebs collapsed I came upon an Alabama regiment recovering. I was trying to decide if I could drive them, checking the condition of my four remaining brigades (one hoofed off), when time ran out.
Roger55
Reactions:

Post by Roger55 »

I finally routed those Rebs out of that woods on the ridge and won the Scenario. Then on to Culps Hill.

Well there was thye I Corps brigade out of my control and my five regiments. One forward of th position in skirmish formation though I didn't recognize it and pull it in. So I figure like Breuget on Elaine 4 that I better hang onto the top of the hill. Well, Jonston's first assault came at the left; so I swung three regiments into its path and drove Steuarts brigade off. Then the second attack came straight up the hill. So, I shifted regimentss back and on the left of may line and in one area the fighting was hand to hand (first time I saw that). Then I realized I had a fifth brigade and it was rallying behind me after being driven in as skirmishers. The next attack came at the line between the first two. I was shifting regiments when Cutler's Brigade pelted down hill and hit the attack in flank, time ran out and the result was inconclusive. 4096 points.