Scenerio 14

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
kssgt
Reactions:

Scenerio 14

Post by kssgt »

Hello - New to the game and forum. Worked my way thru the Scenerios and tried to open #14. I got a message telling me I had to complete #5 first. I'v already played this one and even played it again thinking it would unlock #14. It wont open so am I missing something here or is there a bug somewhere ?

Thanks
con20or
Reactions:

Re: Scenerio 14

Post by con20or »

Hi - welcome to the forum.

You have to get a major victory on it - did you?
Last edited by con20or on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kssgt
Reactions:

Post by kssgt »

Well maybe thats the problem :) Far from a major victory. Still need to learn the basics and the courier system to call for HELP I guess. Put all my troops into the front and was overwhelmed by rebs. Guess I should retreat to Cemetary Hill before I get crushed huh ?
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Heres a recent post about the same scenario giving some tips.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/index.php?op ... Itemid=124

As far as calling for help goes, even though we all do it, I havent heard for definite yet if it works! Troops occasionally come to your aid, in different scenarios, but they could just have been ordered there by the general regardless of your messages.

Doesn't hurt though!
kssgt
Reactions:

Post by kssgt »

Do appreciate your help - I'll try the tips.
kssgt
Reactions:

Post by kssgt »

Are the troops south of town with the two Batteries Cemetary Hill and should I leave the guns there while moving the troops out to the main battle ?
I seem to hold my own if I do this and position these troops on the right flank along the road but then the hoard comes and I guess I'm not falling back fast enough.
Where do the troops go when you call for a retreat and how do you gain control of them again ? Maybe I'm just not falling back fast enough and to where ?

Thanks in advance ....
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Cemetery Hill is the hill marked by the Cemetery Hill objective.

I think MTG offers great advice:
Bring the entire 11th corps to the knoll area. Flank the rebel right. Keep just enough men, (a couple of arty batteries), at Cemetery Hill to get the VPs. Unless you get the scenario where the Rebs rush you all at once, you should be able to hold the knoll and destroy most of the enemy. You have to be aggressive on the left. Also park an ammo wagon next to the arty on the knoll. They go through a lot of canister.
Also you asked about retreat; hitting the retreat button is a last resort if you have a regiment getting completely chewed up. It's best to manually order your troops to fall back (TC them etc.)
kssgt
Reactions:

Post by kssgt »

Brought the entire 11th to the knoll leaving two Batteries at the Hill. With overwhelming odds in my favor, and flanking them on the right they seem to just keep coming out of the ground like a bunch of ants.
3000 points is the best score so far - not sure what else to do that I'm not to get to the 4000 mark.
Love this game and cant seem to get away from it even though I'm gettin my arse kicked. Any tips on accumulating more points would be helpful ....

Thanks
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

All I can say it just keep cracking at it and eventually you'll get a win. This thread and the one linked have all the information you need.

One more thing to try; leave Coster at the hill OBJ, and bring Smith's brigade and the two batteries down to Barlow's Knoll.

Make sure you move all your artillery up to canister range when the rebs attack.
kssgt
Reactions:

Post by kssgt »

I have completely drove the rebs off the knoll and can only get a victory so far. Maybe I'm losing something in the point system. I'v left only a Batt on the Hill and I'v left only Smiths brigade on the hill. Either way I can only get 3000 points.
I guess my question is in the point system. At the end of the game is it to my advantage to have as many remaining troops and commanders somewhere within the objectives or does it matter ? Also while I'm busy on the knoll, is my position at the Hill being attacked ? Too busy to look at that end of the battle.
Thanks - love this game but its taking over my life :)