July 1st Gettysburg

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

July 1st Gettysburg

Post by NY Cavalry »

No one has mentioned that this is the anniversary of day one at Gettysburg.

There is a battle that looks like a good day one MP scenario. Its Pender's Attack. This is real late, but if enough players are available we could play it on MP. I have played it in SP.

Plenty of Infantry for both sides and 2 independent artillery divisions it also has 2 regiments of Union cavalry.

Like the historical day one, the Union are outnumbered somewhat and are on the defensive.

If I host, I will be using my own mod with 200 yard rifles and GCM moral, fatigue, and artillery.

There are lots of slots for players.
kg_sspoom
Reactions:

Re: July 1st Gettysburg

Post by kg_sspoom »

Is it a MP scenario? Im interested
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

It can be played in MP. It is a well done scenario. Four divisions for rebs against the Union 1st and 11th Corp.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

We had our Scenario game last night, everyone had fun (except maybe NY). Jonah and I took the confederate II and III Corps respectively while NY and Soldier took the I and XI Corps. We played some scenario that LP created.

From what I could see, the I Corps was massacred. The divisions of Rodes, Pettigrew, and Pender just overran it in the hour long battle, inflicting 700 more casualties than they took and utterly clobbering any troops that attempted to stand on MacPherson's and Seminary Ridges.

Soldier and the XI Corps managed to stave off an even more crushing defeat by revenging their name from Chancellorsville. Soldier managed to hold the line against Early's division and retreated to town in good order at the end of the battle.

In terms of the scenario, LP probably needed to take out Pettigrew's entire division or delay Pender's (hide it) and attribute casualties to Archer's and Davis's Brigades because I just massed 8 Confederate brigades and charged them in column formation up McPherson's Ridge, just demolishing the three brigades in my path. I mean, 10000+ troops against 4000 with some artillery? It really just isn't fair for the Federals.

But it was good fun. Who knows, maybe we should have been commanding in the Civil War. The Confederates were just about set to take Cemetary Hill.
Hancock the Superb
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

Actually I did have fun. It was what I expected, the 1st Corp takes a beating. The objective of the scenario should be Cemetery Hill.

The scenario should include Davis' and Archers' morning losses and Stannards Vermont brigade should be removed.

We could have used two or 3 more players. The rebs really need a single player to control Early and the same for Rodes. The Union needs an artillery officer and another one or two brigadiers. Though it was a good fight.

Today is the anniversary of Pickets Charge.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

What this forum needs is a group of historically-minded players to get together well ahead of these anniversaries and plan a big game, with everyone allocated commands days before the agreed date. Then we'd get perhaps some well supported historical games.

When our Jutland naval game group was active we'd always do a huge refight of the battle on the weekend evening closest to 31st May. We had 2 or 3 great games on those occasions.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
JmCraz8
Reactions:

Post by JmCraz8 »

This would be awesome I like gcm a lot, but would also like to recreate the historical battles aswell especially if it's the battles anniversary.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

That game was fun. I enjoyed playing with XI Corps. Definitely a tough slog holding those rebs on the right flank.

I'd like to play some of the scenarios more often.

On a positive note, with 4 of us playing that big battle, it ran really smooth, no lag at all.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

This is after being driven back. Trying to set up defense on Seminary Ridge.

http://s881.photobucket.com/albums/ac12 ... en0162.jpg

Again you can see the rebel hordes.
Last edited by NY Cavalry on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac12 ... en0163.jpg
Infantry giving way. Gun line not enough to stop them.

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac12 ... en0164.jpg

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac12 ... en0165.jpg

Trying to set up a defense before Cemetery Hill. Soldier had an 11th corp division holding the hill. By this time the 1st corp was fought out. Only Robinsons' division was going to put up any kind of fight and they were just about fought out. The Rebels chose not to come after securing Seminary ridge. They did take some good casualties, but were just too many.