Courier help

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Courier help

Post by IronBMike »

I am playing full Antietam from the Union side w/ couriers at division level. I am commanding my divisions/corps from my HQ. But I keep receiving messages from brigade cmders, like "Enemy sighted to my front" which is very annoying because of all the brigades.

I just want to receive dispatches from division and corps. How do I do that?
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
CoB4thTEXAS
Reactions:

Re: Courier help

Post by CoB4thTEXAS »

Make sure Auto Display Courier Messages button is un-checked,

in game, on the toolbar, go to Menu-Options.

*S*
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

I have done that, but will messages from divisional/corps commanders still pop up? It is far too difficult to scroll through all the messages received and open each one trying to find important ones.

Edit: Also, is there an easier way to select a commander to send a courier to than by scrolling through the list of all units trying to pick out a name?
Last edited by IronBMike on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

Bump? Any way to streamline selection of commanders in the courier list? It's hard to find them in the large list of units.
Neal
Reactions:

Post by Neal »

No, I believe the fastest way is simply to choose the commander from the menu as you are doing, unless you can select the commander's flag.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

No, I believe the fastest way is simply to choose the commander from the menu as you are doing, unless you can select the commander's flag.
Even when I'm selected on the commander and I click "Send courier" it takes me to the screen w/ the last commander selected, not the current one.
Neal
Reactions:

Post by Neal »

Yeah, you have to be careful.

In the Western Campaign, we play with full courier settings and sometimes I have little issues here and there. Most of the time it's me, but I think there are some occasional bugs. I haven't paid close enough attention to document them and they have always seemed to work themselves out within a few tries, leading me to believe I am the problem. I think in my haste to get my command in motion, I sometimes make mistakes.

Just take your time and understand that playing full armies is a chore -- although a very fun chore! That's what makes it so rewarding.

Sent you a PM.

Drop me a line,

-Neal
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Bump? Any way to streamline selection of commanders in the courier list? It's hard to find them in the large list of units.
I'm not really telling you anything that you don't know, but as long as you know who is assigned to who, it helps to find the units easier. Such as Brigade General under which Divisional General.

But, I always play with the same OOB so finding units have never been a problem in the game.

During the idle times of marching around the map before a battle, I would practice with the courier-system by changing the orders of varies units. This will give you a lot of practice with the courier-system, and also help to identify where everyone is located in the menu.

The courier-system is in my opinion one of Norb's greatest programming feats.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

Yeah I know that, but even with a knowledge of the OOB it is still a hassle finding commanders in the list. There should be a hierarchy OOB system for couriers, like there is in the post-game OOB review. It's annoying to scroll through a hundred regiments to find a division commander.

Other than that the courier system is amazing.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Yes, a collapsing OOB within the courier-system would eliminate scrolling through all of the regiments.

Almost all of the orders are to the Brigade Commanders . I do sometimes use the regiments when issuing a move to the left\right flank of regiment etc...this helps with the spacing.

This might be a feature that should go on the wish-list .

I would also like to see the supply-wagons in the courier-system; they are the only units that I can’t send a courier to for movement orders.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!