Change the Uniforms?

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Michigander
Reactions:

Change the Uniforms?

Post by Michigander »

Would it be possible to mod the uniforms of the troops in game? One of the things I have wanted to see since Gettysburg first came out were more historically accurate uniforms. I love the idea of more of the federals wearing full sack coats with packs and the light brown blanket rolls. Less of the rebs wearing blue and more butternut and Richmond Depot jackets. I have no idea if it is possible when it comes to modding, yet it is something that would add a TON to the game for me. :laugh:
Jim
Reactions:

Re: Change the Uniforms?

Post by Jim »

Changing the mix among the existing uniform types simply requires a small mod with a few altered CSV files. Creating new uniform sprite sets is a lot of work and requires specialized software and a couple of months worth of evenings after you learn the process. The details can be found in the SDK document.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Michigander
Reactions:

Post by Michigander »

Changing the mix among the existing uniform types simply requires a small mod with a few altered CSV files. Creating new uniform sprite sets is a lot of work and requires specialized software and a couple of months worth of evenings after you learn the process. The details can be found in the SDK document.

-Jim
Thanks for the help! Does anyone think they can do that? Add more fully clothed units for the federals and more butternut, grey and kersey for the rebs?
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

-Jim
Thanks for the help! Does anyone think they can do that? Add more fully clothed units for the federals and more butternut, grey and kersey for the rebs?
Yes you can do that, by adjusting the unitglobal.csv file. I have made a start along the lines you suggest, and if you or anyone else would like to have a copy of my file, send me a private message with your email address. You cannot use this in MP though, as unitglobal is one of the files closed to that.

Just to be clear though. What I've done is produce different mixes for existing sprites, rather than create new ones, which would be far beyond my talents.

Martin
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

-Jim
Yes you can do that, by adjusting the unitglobal.csv file. I have made a start along the lines you suggest, and if you or anyone else would like to have a copy of my file, send me a private message with your email address. You cannot use this in MP though, as unitglobal is one of the files closed to that.

Just to be clear though. What I've done is produce different mixes for existing sprites, rather than create new ones, which would be far beyond my talents.

Martin
Garnier somehow manipulates the uniform mix in the GCM based on regiment experience, Martin, so it is possible in MP. I, of course, have no idea how he does it.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Yeah, Davinci has done mods like this before and I'm sure he'll chime in eventually. Mixing the uniforms is pretty simple really, but creating new sprites is a whole different animal. Gunship is the only one around here that I know of that has created new sprites, and they have been for his Napoleon mod (which is excellent by the way).

And you mentioned you wanted the Rebs to have less blue uniforms. It's interesting to note that just prior to Gettysburg, there was a raid on a Union supply train and blue Union uniforms replaced many of the worn Confederate uniforms. In one account, practically the entire brigade of Hay's Louisiana Tigers was clad in blue.

Although it was still the standard to wear Grey in the Confederate Army, when they barely had enough to eat, the color of the uniforms was pretty low on the priority list. Many just wore what ever they could find; civilian clothes, Union uniforms, etc.

If you want to read a very detailed account on not just the uniform but the equipment of a Confederate soldier, check out this article I posted a while back:

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/articles-mai ... t-modified
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

Garnier somehow manipulates the uniform mix in the GCM based on regiment experience, Martin, so it is possible in MP. I, of course, have no idea how he does it.
I'm just using the 7 default uniform mixes. Making new mixes is not allowed in MP yet.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

I'm just using the 7 default uniform mixes. Making new mixes is not allowed in MP yet.
You mean I payed full price for SOW:Gettysburg, Pipe Creek, Antietam, and Chancellorsville, and still I can't mod uniforms in MP?

How can NSD release all these expansions and not have the uniform modding fixed for MP?

I blame Reb Bugler!
Michigander
Reactions:

Post by Michigander »

I mean more along the lines of having just more packs and blanket rolls. I would also not that it was mainly jackets that were captured. If they wore both federal pants and jackets, there would have been A LOT more friendly fire at Gettysburg.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

You mean I payed full price for SOW:Gettysburg, Pipe Creek, Antietam, and Chancellorsville, and still I can't mod uniforms in MP?

How can NSD release all these expansions and not have the uniform modding fixed for MP?

I blame Reb Bugler!
Ha... Coincidentally I recently ran into an important design that needs a unitglobal mod for an MP scenario I'm working on...mixing units for an Indian LOOK. Norb did promise to let us test it out with a beta patch, but that got backburnered...LIKE USUAL. :dry:

Keep squeakin, maybe turn it into rants :evil:
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...