Franco Prussian Mod?

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
dedonta
Reactions:

Franco Prussian Mod?

Post by dedonta »

Brand new to this game & forum...so pardon if this is an old tread...but has anyone ever done a Franco Prussian Mod for the game...loving every minute of it so far!!

Marcus
Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: Franco Prussian Mod?

Post by Saddletank »

Welcome to the forum!

I haven't heard of one. I am not sure SoW would cope with a period that late. French doctrine was to open fire with the Chassepot from the hip at up to 1200 yards and blanket the enemy in a kind of plunging area fire. The Needle gun had an effective range that went out to around 500-600 yds. The efficiency of Prussian artillery might also be a problem for the gameplay balance. FP battles also tended to encompass huge areas of land, most of the maps in SoW are only 5 miles square which I don't think is big enough and most of the SoW maps are not flat enough to represent northeast France.

If the mid 19th C in Europe is of interest the 1859 Austro-Italian War would work very well since then everyone had ACW style Minie rifled muskets and muzzle loading smoothbore cannon still.
Last edited by Saddletank on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
dedonta
Reactions:

Post by dedonta »

Good points...just the beauty of these battles and the awesome zouave uniforms got me thinking. THanks
rudy
Reactions:

Post by rudy »

There was someone on these forums, about 2 years ago (?), who posted some preliminary mods for download, for either the Austro-Prussian or Franco-Prussian War. I remember the uniforms were quite colourful.

Sorry, not much help.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Good points...just the beauty of these battles and the awesome zouave uniforms got me thinking. THanks
Yup. the 1870 French army was very gaudily uniformed. The Algerian Turcos units had powder blue uniforms and the cuirassier cavalry was basically unchanged in costume from Napoleonic times.

I think to incorporate the kinds of large ranges and manouver distances seen in 1870 you'd need a game that was set at a higher level than the battalion/regiment/squadron/battery. If the manouver units were brigades and the maps were 10-15m across I think such a game would work well.
Last edited by Saddletank on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don
Reactions:

Post by Don »

It wasn't done for SOCW, but it was done for TC2M. The problem with the version found on Medafire is that it is corrupted, so you really only get the frame from which to select options, battles, etc. It included lovely maps of Europe during the wars, but I could not judge the scenarios, since I never got to play them.
Deckard
Reactions:

Post by Deckard »

Hi

I am also new to the forum but have been playing SOW games on and off for awhile now.I was wondering if maybe a mod for the Crimean War would work?I think it would be set in simlar time frame and simlar weaponary to the American Civil War.Be nice to command the famous light brigade in its ill fated charge at Balaclava.

Roger
Los
Reactions:

Post by Los »

Is the issue not being able to find the original working mod? I have used it often with TCM2. I used it for an online campaign I ran running both sides while implementing the commanders' wishes.

Here is a video of the forces and some of the action, would be great to see this in SOW.

Pom
Reactions:

Post by Pom »

Hi Deckard,

I'm working on a Crimea mod at the moment,made good progress,but still a bit to do.

Pom.

Here's the Light Brigade,plus some others.
The attachment ltbrigade.jpg is no longer available
The attachment britinf.jpg is no longer available
The attachment chassafrica.jpg is no longer available
The attachment cuirdrag.jpg is no longer available
The attachment frnart.jpg is no longer available
The attachment frnline.jpg is no longer available
The attachment russiainf.jpg is no longer available
The attachment zoualgerian.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
ltbrigade.jpg
ltbrigade.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 161 times
zoualgerian.jpg
zoualgerian.jpg (871.44 KiB) Viewed 161 times
russiainf.jpg
russiainf.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 161 times
frnline.jpg
frnline.jpg (772.63 KiB) Viewed 161 times
frnart.jpg
frnart.jpg (637.24 KiB) Viewed 161 times
cuirdrag.jpg
cuirdrag.jpg (787.38 KiB) Viewed 161 times
chassafrica.jpg
chassafrica.jpg (902.04 KiB) Viewed 161 times
britinf.jpg
britinf.jpg (844.02 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Beautiful. Have you asked Norb for a job yet? ;)

These look like your usual hi-res works of art - had you plans to do a lower-res version?