SOW Gettysburg and Win 8 ??

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
JohnVW
Reactions:

SOW Gettysburg and Win 8 ??

Post by JohnVW »

having problems with SOW ever since I got a new PC with Win 8. Even re-purchased SOW Anniv edition, loaded it fine, and it plays in "compatibility mode" (like many programs do). But about 1 out of every 2 times I play (on or off line) the game "lags all the time" (keeps pausing, mini-freezes, then resumes)...sometimes online (via the lobby) I simply get a message saying "windows has stopped working"? I have had no problems at all with any other software I own, only SOW...anyone have any thoughts? thanks, john
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: SOW Gettysburg and Win 8 ??

Post by Little Powell »

We would need more details to be able to do any real troubleshooting. When it lags or pauses, is it during any specific scenario or area of the game? Sandbox, any mods installed? Also please post your SOWGB.log directly after the "stopped working" message. There are so many variables here that we will need as much information as possible to help narrow it down.

The game is not officially supported on Window 8, although most people run it with no issues. But again, hopefully we can narrow it down if you can provide us with details.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Anti-virus programs running in the background have been known to cause lag and performance issues, WebRoot is a proven culprit. Turn off any such apps while playing and see if that helps.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

- same mods I always used in Win 7; nothing new...
- saw the post "Also please post your SOWGB.log directly after the "stopped working" message"...no idea how i'd do this? where would I find my log? thanks!
- webroot was off...but I played on/off line all the time using Win 7 with webroot on and never had a problem
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

You can find the SOWGB.log file in your Work folder. Scourge of War - Gettsyburg\Work

It will often tell us exactly what went wrong at the time of a crash.
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

here's the log file...my game crashed last night (thurs 4/24/14 about 7:30pm ET)...it was lagging badly then, and then today I tried 3-4 diff scenarios on "auto", and they all lagged as well...john
Attachments

[The extension log has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Unfortunately there's no crash info in there. If you start the game after a crash, any crash info would be gone. You have to make sure and save the log before starting the game again.

The lag issue could just be performance related. What are your system specs? What kind of graphics card, etc.
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

ok...here's the latest file (attached)...we tried to play 3 times...1st and 2nd time I was "booted by windows 8" within 9-10 minutes...the last time was a 150 min game ( 2 1/2 hrs), and I didn't get booted until there was about 3-4 min left...any ideas??
Attachments

JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

tried again (solo) this morning, and "windows stopped working" again about 2hr into a 3hr game (log file attached)...webroot and all malware/antivirus/etc software was "off" before even starting the game...john
Attachments

Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Darn, there's nothing in that log to give us a clue. Since you're on Windows 8, I'm sure your system specs are up to par.

Unfortunately without any clues, there's not much else I can do as far as troubleshooting.

Can anyone else with Windows 8 offer any other suggestions? Perhaps someone has experienced similar issues?