Different Antietam lsl files

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
Saddletank
Reactions:

Different Antietam lsl files

Post by Saddletank »

Hi NSD people, this is a issue for Norb and Matrix to resolve, I think, or at least whoever helps Norb high up in the publication side of things.

There are two versions of Antietam in publication or in circulation. In the game's BASE/MAPS folder are kept the .lsl data files for each map. For ANT_1, ANT_1PM, ANT_2 and ANT_3 there are two sets of these files in public use. One set is dated 2/22/2013 (or 23/2/2013 for UK users) and the other set is dated some time in 2011.

For some reason the original NSD release, and the early Matrix release of Antietam had the 2013 dated files. I know this because I updated my Antietam install when Matrix first took over publication and I have the 2013 files. The most recent copy you can download/buy from Matrix however has the 2011 files. The problem our MP group is continuously having is new players joining, buying the Matrix game add-on and then crashing out of MP sessions with a map mismatch error. This has in the past confused us and wasted a lot of time but now we know the problem is out there we send the 2013 version file to all new players who join our group and play on these maps.

We're wise to this. Other MP groups may not be.

Can NSD and Matrix please discuss and resolve this? Every owner of SoW:Antietam should have the 2013 .lsl files.

Many thanks guys.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Different Antietam lsl files

Post by Little Powell »

We'll look into this and get back to you.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Hi guys, any update on this please? Our group encountered another frustrating time last night with a new player and we had to send him the correct .lsl file for the ANT_2 map. This problem has got to be confusing some MP players who haven't worked out the different files yet.

Thanks for looking into it.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I've requested a status update. Will get back to you.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

We heard back from Matrix. The latest/correct files are in the 1.61 patch. It's best that everyone stays up to date with the latest anyway.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Thanks for the feedback LP. However - sorry to be blunt - but Matrix do not know what they are talking about; their answer proves they don't understand the problem.

We ALL have the 1.61 patch. Nobody can play SoW:G MP without it!

The problem isn't in the 1.61 patch, its in the Antietam add-on pack published through Matrix. The lsl files in that are not the latest files; they are 2 years older than the ones NSD issued. And that isn't the point anyway, the point is they are different. They need to be the same. NSDs and Matrix's files need to be the same. NSDs files now can't be changed so the only fix is to change Matrix's to match the NSD ones.

Why did Matrix go with a much older file for their release?

The problem is that our (large) MP group has many well established players all using copies of SOW:G released by NSD. We encourage new people joining our group to buy the add-ons because we use the maps for MP scenarios. The new people then get the 'old' lsl files from Matrix and we have the same problem getting them to join MP games.

LP, we only know this because we have people in our group who do modding and are savvy enough to have worked out what the problem was. I expect there are others out there who don't know why MP games on the Antietam maps won't work between certain players.

My main point is that there has to be other players out there who can't play MP on these maps because Matrix's file is older than NSDs. Telling them to update to Matrix's version isn't really the answer because there'll always be people with the original NSD game.

My suggestion is for Matrix to release a patch. It'd be a tiny one, just a few Kb and it would fix all the problems we get and no doubt others problems too.
Last edited by Saddletank on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

So after people purchase Antietam, and update to 1.161, the Antietam LSL files are still outdated?
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

That's right, yes.

The NSD Antietam add-on has the .lsl files dated 23.02.2013 at 02:58 hours. I think in the USA it will have a date of 22.02.2013 due to the UK time difference.

The Matrix Antietam add-on has .lsl files dated some time in 2011. I'm sorry I don't know the exact date.

These files are not updated in the 1.61 patch.

If there's going to be a patch issued I guess it doesn't matter if customers have the 2013 or the 2011 .lsl files though it would be wise to check and see if the newer one includes some kind of fix or improvement but they need to be the same.

Thanks again for looking into all this for us LP, its been a right pain in some of our MP sessions in recent months!
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Ok starting to get clearer. One more question. If the Antietam files released from Matrix are old how did you get the new ones? From when you downloaded the original NSD Antietam map pack?
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

That's right.

When Matrix took over publication I did update (or was it register?) my game files via their website which I think was required at that time. This didn't affect the NSD lsl files I have - and which a lot of users in our MP group have.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have to help you resolve this.
Last edited by Saddletank on Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.